Another "letter to the chief" thread

kalash

NES Member
My finacee is finally going to apply for her LTC but the town wants a letter* outlining why she's applying. I'm thinking the gist of it should just be (from her):
-I want ALP, as that would cover any contingency/reason for use;
-My fiance is a certified instructor and has always stressed safety;
-I'm a doctor, have access to controlled substances, and frequently walk to an unattended garage at night.

They also want a letter of reference*, which I'm happy to provide. For that I'm thinking:
-I've known Dr. XYZ for # years and we live together in -town-;
-I'm a state certified instructor, have taught Dr. XYZ the course, and she's been my best student;
-Throughout many years of taking her to the range she's always been very safe;
-She's an upstanding citizen of good moral character.

Should I also mention that I'd like her to have legal access to the guns we have at home?

From what I've heard the town gives out unrestricted these days so I'm not too worried about a female doctor getting a neutered license but I also figure they want more than "ALP" in the letter.

*Since most of these threads seem to end a particular way: yes, I know all about how these requirements are BS, we should fight them, etc. Not what I'm looking to discuss at the moment.

I’m looking to exercise my rights to own an carry a gun, for any an all lawful purposes.
My 2 cents.

Point #3 is definitely helpful, but take out controlled substances and the garage clause, assuming she works at a hospital(many hospitals have a “no weapons policy” and if they call her employer to check her out, the employer may think she’s carrying st work. Whether or not she does is up to her.) and put in something wrt to how she is subject to random background checks by her employer (many hospitals do this) and has to certify at every licensure renewal that she has had no criminal interaction with the law.

Sir I am a Doctor,and would like an LTC for ALP. I don't believe you would have an issue with this,and treat this with the greatest of care.Just like I would treat you if ever I had you under my care.

Point #3 is definitely helpful, but take out controlled substances and the garage clause, assuming she works at a hospital(many hospitals have a “no weapons policy” and if they call her employer to check her out, the employer may think she’s carrying st work. Whether or not she does is up to her.) and put in something wrt to how she is subject to random background checks by her employer (many hospitals do this) and has to certify at every licensure renewal that she has had no criminal interaction with the law.

Boston doesn't do that. One of my students is an ER doc at a major hospital with no weapons policy. He's a Boston resident and he got unrestricted due to his profession and having to get called into work or leaving at all sorts of hours. If his employer ever thought he was carrying he'd be fired, but that has nothing to do with what BPD treats as "special applicants".

Sir I am a Doctor,and would like an LTC for ALP. I don't believe you would have an issue with this,and treat this with the greatest of care.Just like I would treat you if ever I had you under my care.

Docs and lawyers do get special treatment in Boston and even lawyers can't carry in courthouses, regardless they get unrestricted.

Boston doesn't do that. One of my students is an ER doc at a major hospital with no weapons policy. He's a Boston resident and he got unrestricted due to his profession and having to get called into work or leaving at all sorts of hours. If his employer ever thought he was carrying he'd be fired, but that has nothing to do with what BPD treats as "special applicants".

Docs and lawyers do get special treatment in Boston and even lawyers can't carry in courthouses, regardless they get unrestricted.[/QUOTE

Your right Len,I didn't know it was Boston he was talking about.

Didn’t know we were talking about Boston. It was just general information.

I think (drgrant will know) that there are only less than a handful of a-hole towns where they will talk with your neighbors (and tell them you want/have guns), employers (assuming application isn't for work), etc. before issuing/renewing. Technically (MGL C. 66 S. 10(d)) that is illegal to release info to the public about gun licenses/ownership, but some departments (very few) really don't care about laws in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom