• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another "let's be careful out there" moment

I show a picture of a blown up Marlin in 45-70 in my reloading class. The guy used AA No. 7 instead of Reloder 7 with similar results.

I keep only one powder at a time on my bench, store the powder away from my bench, and check the label multiple times before it goes in the powder measure.
One time I almost used H4198 instead of IMR4198.

I didnt get to load a case, was setting up to reload, stopped myself and though "WTF!" ... put it away and decided to not reload that day.

This.
No excuse for this. If you can’t keep track of what powder you’re using you shouldn’t be reloading
To prevent this problem, I just mix all of my powders together in one vat. 42 grains is 42 grains, right?

On a more serious note, to empty the hopper I use a combination of a small painter's-style brush (like a watercolor brush) and compressed air.

I make it easy... since I reload for big calibers and 9mm, I keep the 750 for 9mm and only one powder is used N320.

For the rest, I buy a new powder drop for each powder.

The one on the right is for black Powder.

At first I did it because I was lazy and didn't want to adjust the weight each time. Then I realized it was actually pretty smart in case a few grains were left in there and I didn't notice.

They are cheap and so far work great.

20220512_103558.jpg

Last edited:
I make it easy... since I reload for big calibers and 9mm, I keep the 750 for 9mm and only one powder is used N320.

For the rest, I buy a new powder drop for each powder.

The one on the right is for black Powder.

At first I did it because I was lazy and didn't want to adjust the weight each time. Then I realized it was actually pretty smart in case a few grains were left in there and I didn't notice.

They are cheap and so far work great.

View attachment 615118
I like the painters tape label idea. Cheap, removes easily and shows up well.

That's what I do as well. Powder, charge weight, min max, oal all right there.
Same here. I have 3 Dillon Presses on the bench and there is a big piece of blue tape on the powder hopper with the caliber and all load info on it. Works great and keeps things organized. (at least a little bit.

I guess the fact that my press is clamped to my dining room table is a good thing, as I have to go get the specific powder I'm looking for out of storage. I use an RCBS Turret press, but never do all steps at once; I decap and size, then clean the brass and put it in an ammo can. When I have time, I flare and seat primers and put them in another can. When the actual round production happens, it's just powder and seating bullets, generally when no one else is home. No TV, generally music and that's it. Every so many powder throws I'll recheck on the scale. Never thought I'd have to say it, but I make sure the powder I'm using is the right one for the application.

IDK , those labels are not similar to me
Sucks to see it happen but
You have to know what your putting in there

My dad used to say “thinking and Memory is a open door for problems to happen”
Best to “know”

I have separate toolheads, including powder drops for each caliber that I load. Each one has a card holder on it that I got from a guy in a mewe reloading group who 3d prints. Each card holder has a card in it showing the load that the toolhead is set up for. caliber, bullet type/weight, powder type/amount, OAL.

Bottom line , you have to be 110% FOCUSED when you handload. The guy that blew off his fingers from a chamber grenade was NOT. I have mental lapses all the time, im human. I take multiple steps as best i can to rule out potential errors. The primary focus is powder and charges. This is the #1 area where guys get hurt. Document bold reference identifiers on your hopper immediately upon opening your desired powder. Keep the SINGLE can of powder visable right at your powder hopper. Dont have multiple powders on your bench, this can end up real bad.

That kaboom reeks of someone that’s getting older and refuses to face reality. Their eyesight is slowly degrading and those powder labels get a little blurrier each time. But they’ve been reloading forever right? They can’t fathom how they ever made such a mistake. Getting older sucks, but ignoring the limitations that aging imposes is just dangerous.

One time I almost used H4198 instead of IMR4198.

I didnt get to load a case, was setting up to reload, stopped myself and though "WTF!" ... put it away and decided to not reload that day.
I have to double check the Lyman manual when I'm looking up data for IMR4127.......there is data in the manual for h4227 and imr4227 and they are different.

I don't agree that the labels are very similar beyond what they get from being the same brand. The only relevant factor was inattention. That manifested not just in reaching for the wrong cannister and not bothering to take a good look at it but also in failing to take account of any of several clues that someone familiar with both powders would likely pick up on. They all got past him because he was asleep at the wheel.

I don't agree that the labels are very similar beyond what they get from being the same brand. The only relevant factor was inattention. That manifested not just in reaching for the wrong cannister and not bothering to take a good look at it but also in failing to take account of any of several clues that someone familiar with both powders would likely pick up on. They all got past him because he was asleep at the wheel.
Bingo

I once was the victim of a med error in a clinic - when I went back to check to see what the pill they gave me was, the RN was able to explain the error - it came in a white bottle just like the Tylenol I was supposed to get. Only side effect was a full body rash that was gone by morning, but geeze....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom