Another "let's be careful out there" moment

Do the grains look the same? I thought Varget was more stick like and not flakey like most pistol powders? I know that's a dangerous assumption but when it looks different you should question it. I had a recalled lot of IMR4895 and the color was lighter than the older and newer lots.

I worked as a chemical technician, I mixed stuff to make 2 part polymer adhesives. We had instruction binders for every product we made. The instructions included where to get what you needed, how to handle it, how to weigh and measure, how to mix. Every step of the way you checked the label of the ingredient you had. By the time you got back to your workspace you've re-read the label and compared it to the picture in the book 10x.

I worked as a chemical technician, I mixed stuff to make 2 part polymer adhesives. We had instruction binders for every product we made. The instructions included where to get what you needed, how to handle it, how to weigh and measure, how to mix. Every step of the way you checked the label of the ingredient you had. By the time you got back to your workspace you've re-read the label and compared it to the picture in the book 10x.
This is what we did for the chem techs that used to work for me. They would have to log the lot #s as well as the chemicals. We always emphasized to not memorize the recipe, but get to know the physical color, structure, etc. of the chemicals.

Some people just go on auto-pilot and don't give it a thought. They figure that all the settings are the same and all they need to do is fill everything up and hit the "start" button, so to speak.

Harsh reminder of the forces at play and not to get complacent. I keep thinking about getting into reloading, things like this just make me wary, because of the space I would do it in, has my 60" TV that I watch while cleaning guns, mounting scopes, etc.

Harsh reminder of the forces at play and not to get complacent. I keep thinking about getting into reloading, things like this just make me wary, because of the space I would do it in, has my 60" TV that I watch while cleaning guns, mounting scopes, etc.

Music is better for reloading than tv lol because its not as distracting

So in short, the guy is a retard, and got hurt because of it. News at 11.
Pride comes before the fall.

I have done anything like this nor do I plan on it. I don’t watch TV while I load, I don’t drink at all. I only keep out one powder at a time.
However I sure as hell don’t temp fate by saying it could never happen to me.

Professionals get hurt all the time. You roll the dice enough and some bad crap can happen. That’s why we all stay vigilant and these reminders are something to be heeded not made fun of.

I don’t mind hearing these stories as a reminder to pay attention. One of the reasons I like Titegroup is that I don’t have to switch powders across all handgun calibers and potentially make this mistake.

In order to completely clean a powder measure on a progressive, do people use compressed air?

One says Varget and the other TITE GROUP. Both manufactures by Hogdon. So triple checking was out the window. I am sorry but he is to blame and hopefully he has not retained a lawyer in hopes of cashing in. He should get a helmet with a revolving red light.

I don’t mind hearing these stories as a reminder to pay attention. One of the reasons I like Titegroup is that I don’t have to switch powders across all handgun calibers and potentially make this mistake.

In order to completely clean a powder measure on a progressive, do people use compressed air?
Remove hopper, empty into original container, wipe out with a cloth, and put things away. Done.

Pride comes before the fall.

I have done anything like this nor do I plan on it. I don’t watch TV while I load, I don’t drink at all. I only keep out one powder at a time.
However I sure as hell don’t temp fate by saying it could never happen to me.

Professionals get hurt all the time. You roll the dice enough and some bad crap can happen. That’s why we all stay vigilant and these reminders are something to be heeded not made fun of.

This is a gross level error, though. Like when he set up the press/drop he had to weigh the charge, how do you dump the powder in the scale pan and not notice its the wrong powder? (especially not Varget). IMHO this means that there were probably multiple checks/stop points in place that most people would take and he skipped some of them.

This sounds more like "90+ geritol guy drives down street wrong way or into liquor store front while stomping the gas pedal" type thing vs "an error a professional could make".

Although I will say its instructive if only because it might remind someone to actually have checks in place (and follow them!) to stop or prevent this kinda thing. Like one stupid
easy thing is.... if you have more than one shelf in your powder cabinet, dont keep pistol and rifle powders on the same shelf. Or same drawer, or whatever.

This is a gross level error, though. Like when he set up the press/drop he had to weigh the charge, how do you dump the powder in the scale pan and not notice its the wrong powder? (especially not Varget). IMHO this means that there were probably multiple checks/stop points in place that most people would take and he skipped some of them.

This sounds more like "90+ geritol guy drives down street wrong way or into liquor store front while stomping the gas pedal" type thing vs "an error a professional could make".

Although I will say its instructive if only because it might remind someone to actually have checks in place (and follow them!) to stop or prevent this kinda thing. Like one stupid
easy thing is.... if you have more than one shelf in your powder cabinet, dont keep pistol and rifle powders on the same shelf. Or same drawer, or whatever.
Totally agree. He messed up bad. No one is immune to mistakes though. I feel bad for him but he had the balls to admit it and remind everyone to pay attention.

An RO at a local range always tells a story about a guy rushing and swapping from 7 grains of bullseye in 357 to 7 grains in a 9mm. Swapped everything over except the powder charge.
How the hell does an experience Reloader not notice what would probably be an overflowing case? He was rushing and made a few mistakes. No bueno.

I show a picture of a blown up Marlin in 45-70 in my reloading class. The guy used AA No. 7 instead of Reloder 7 with similar results.

I keep only one powder at a time on my bench, store the powder away from my bench, and check the label multiple times before it goes in the powder measure.

How are those similar looking?

This isn't like buying skim milk instead of whole because the store brand swapped the cap colors (everyone knows red cap is whole, and blue cap is skim, right?)

It's written in big print on the side of the jar (bottle?), and the graphics are different.

Summon some discipline and shut the TV off.

I see a number of posts basically saying "how the hell did he do that?" - and I don't disagree.

However, the point is exactly what the subject of the thread says 'Another "let's be careful out there" moment'.

We're humans, we make mistakes. Look at this one, and realize that it COULD happen - don't let it happen to you.

I show a picture of a blown up Marlin in 45-70 in my reloading class. The guy used AA No. 7 instead of Reloder 7 with similar results.

I keep only one powder at a time on my bench, store the powder away from my bench, and check the label multiple times before it goes in the powder measure.

Exactly how I do it. My powder storage shelf is 25 feet from my powder drop. Only one powder is off the shelf at any one time. When the powder is in use, the bottle/jug stays right on the bench near the powder measure.

Varget also has, in my opinion, a rather distinct smell to it. But all things aside, it's an extruded power and not at all like the balls of Titegroup.

You know I was just thinking that same thing but wasn't going to say it because I figured it would sound weird, but yeah Varget has a totally different smell and I find it pleasant.

I still double and triple check my powders and charge weight as I go.

if he would spend time i spent lately hunting varget down - no way in hell you would mix it with anything else.
it`s a prized freaking cow, an every can of varget it is.

I do the same.

There are numerous cases in the medical literature of similar product names or package labeling resulting in catastrophic medication errors. - which by the way, do not get recorded in your medical record.

Back
Top Bottom