• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another How do you do it...

Ok, I've been trying to figure out how you get a URL to show up as another name.

I've tired A herf, I've tried using code, I've tried all I know and I can't get it to work.

How do I Type "Look Here" and have it go to the desired URL when you click it.

It's driving me nuts. I tried to be a good little geek and figure it out. But I'm breaking down and asking.

Okay...for all you techno'puter folks out there....my Windows Media Player won't work...sometimes it tells me there's a network connection problem, a couple times it's told me other reasons. I've tried to update it, which I did, but it's still happening. I can't check out any .wmv files or whatever they are. Now...I have Quick Time Player on this here contraption...how do I get what I want to play to use that instead? Please keep in mind I'm in kindergarden when it comes to this stuff, so give me a step by step and type s l o w l y. :D

Right click on one of your .wmv files, then click on properties. Once the properties box pops up you will see at the top just below the file name,"Type of file", just below that it will say, "Opens with:"

Click on the "change" box and select real player. [wink]

Sorry Lynne. Using Win XP? Find a copy of a file, in it's folder, that has the extension you want to open (.wmv, in this case). Right click on it, click on Open with. You make that the default.

If that still does not work, uninstalll WMP using the add/remove programs located in the controll panel. Then reboot. When your CPU is running again go back to the microsoft web site and redownload it. If that dont work try the solution I gave C-pher in the other post.

Okay...one more...I don't have any .wmv files, however, if I go to a web site and click on a file to play it, what do I do to get it to play? I don't want to delete the Media player because I don't know if I'm....ah....legit....and they ask to verify the software. (A friend set the 'puter up for me and did it as low cost as possible, ergo...) I'm not sure how to get the file name showing from another web site to click the other option to change how it's played.

Yes, I know, you're all pulling your hair out of your heads. [lol] I told you I'm not computer savy.

Lynne if you are using dial up oppsed to High Speed, then you would have to wait for some of the file to be downloaded. After it downloads a lil it will start to play then say waiting or buffering and its a long stressfull process. I am not sure what you use. But to answer the question, WMP should start to play it automaticly. Pressing the play button can pause it.

Moderator said:
Lynne if you are using dial up oppsed to High Speed, then you would have to wait for some of the file to be downloaded. After it downloads a lil it will start to play then say waiting or buffering and its a long stressfull process. I am not sure what you use. But to answer the question, WMP should start to play it automaticly. Pressing the play button can pause it.

I'm broadband hun....Verizon. As soon as it tries to load, it comes up with the "I can't do it" messages.

I guess I'm outta luck. [cry]

This is the error code I get whenever I try to view any file. I click on Tools, and Internet Options, but I don't have a Network tab. [?] [?] The ones I've tried have all been valid sites and I'm definately on line, so...

C00D1197: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your computer is not connected to the local area network (LAN) or to the Internet. Connect to the network or Internet, and then try again.

The path to the file is not valid. If you typed a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) in the Open URL dialog box, verify that the file name is spelled correctly and that the path to the file is correct, and then try again. If you clicked a link on a Web page, the link might not be valid.

The server is not available (for example, the server is busy or not online). Try again later.

Some network protocols in the Player are not enabled. Enable all network protocols, and then try again.

The proxy server settings for the Player are not configured properly. Verify that your proxy settings are correct, and then try again.

To enable all network protocols
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Network tab.
In the Streaming protocols area, select all the protocol check boxes.

To verify your proxy server settings
Verify your settings in the Streaming proxy settings area.
Note

If you do not know what your proxy server settings should be, on the Network tab, select a protocol, click Configure, and then select Autodetect proxy settings or Use proxy settings of the Web browser (available for HTTP protocol only).

This is from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/9series/playererrors.aspx#c00d1197_0x00000000

C00D1197: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:
Your computer is not connected to the local area network (LAN) or to the Internet. Connect to the network or Internet, and then try again.
The path to the file is not valid. If you typed a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) in the Open URL dialog box, ensure that the file name is spelled correctly and the path to the file is correct, and then try again. If you clicked a link on a Web page, the link might not be valid.
The server is not online or is busy. Try again later.
Some network protocols in the Player are not enabled. Enable all network protocols, and then try again.
The proxy server settings for the Player are not configured properly. Verify that your proxy settings are correct, and then try again.

To enable all network protocols
In the Streaming protocols area, select all the protocol check boxes.

To verify your proxy server settings
Verify your settings in the Streaming proxy settings area.

Note

If you do not know what your proxy server settings should be, on the Network tab, select a protocol, click Configure, and then select Autodetect proxy settings or Use proxy settings of the Web browser (available for HTTP protocol only).

I try to isolate the problem first. Put the cursor over the link, click the right mouse button and then "Save link target as" (or whatever the wording is in M$) to save a copy of the actual file. If you can save the file on your computer, then the problem wasn't in the server or the network connections. Assuming that you're able to save the file, double click on it to play it. If you don't have WMP set up to play these files, here's where you'll need to do so. Finally, if all of this works, then the problem is likely in the configuration of your browser.

Ken

If you are using the Firefox browser (I recommend it), you can make links easily using the MakeLink extension found here:

MakeLink

Back
Top Bottom