• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another ham...

I took the technician's test last week and I hit the db today! Started studying for the General exam.

I am going with a Kenwood TM-V71A radio. I need to think about the antenna installation(s).... I want to be able to use the radio both in my car and home.

Outstanding! Congratulations.
Good job keeping the momentum up and going for the General right away. Once you let that boulder stop, it's hard to get it rolling again.

I have 18hrs of driving to do in the next few days and ham radio is going to really help kill the time. I don't plan on operating much, but tuning and listening will help.

Good luck on the General.

Congrats on the Tech and good luck with the General. I've been a Tech for 21 years and started studying for the General this past winter after picking up an Icom IC-7100 but have yet to take the test. I'll follow through with it in the next several moths but Bob sure is right about keeping the boulder rolling.

On the antennas, I'd avoid a glass mount in the car if you can, especially if it's a newer model. I've used them a few times and it's been hit or miss. On my most recent install on a '13 Honda Ridgeline, the performance with the glass mount was terrible. I switched it out to a hard-wired antenna and the difference was night and day, and I'm sure I was suffering with poor performance in my previous trucks as well and didn't even know it. I put up a Diamond 2m/70cm/6m vertical on the *edit* house roof last month and am pleased with the performance. You might consider a 2m/70cm vertical as well. Relatively inexpensive, fairly simple install, not an eyesore.

Last, keep 146.52 in your scan rotation both at home and while mobile. It's quiet 99.9% of the time but once in a while you'll hear someone throw their call out and it's always good to answer back. Goes both ways, too - don't be afraid to put your call out there when driving through cities and towns. That's what it's all about!

Last edited:
Congrats. I STILL haven't installed a radio in my Jeep.
So slap a mag-mount on top, lay the radio on the seat next to you and plug it into the cig lighter. Just set the power to less than 50W so you don't blow the ligher fuse. I do this all the time.
{Old Russian saying: the perfect is the enemy of the good}

So slap a mag-mount on top, lay the radio on the seat next to you and plug it into the cig lighter. Just set the power to less than 50W so you don't blow the ligher fuse. I do this all the time.
{Old Russian saying: the perfect is the enemy of the good}

It's a wrangler. I have a mag mount behind the seat an HT, but it won't mount to the top.

I did a lot of reading on the Jeep subject and it sounds like the best location is to mount it on the front hood. I don't have a radio for the Jeep yet but once I get one I'll be installing the antenna on the left side of the hood. It gives you the best ground plane with the most omnidirectional radiation pattern.

Or should I say "least non-omnidirectional".

To the OP: Congrats. I got mine this past winter. I'm still waiting for the motivation to put an antenna up in the yard so I can get my HF gear set up. In the meantime I've mostly used my Baofeng with a j-pole.

Congrats! I took tech and general at the same time. The studying sucked but it was worth it.

Try calling into the local traffic nets. It's a good start to getting on the air.

Thx. Congrats to you too. I am planning on taking the general and extra at the same time sometime this summer. I am just listening now to learn a little more. I am also working on a plan for base antenna installation. The best place for the antenna vs ground are on opposite sides of the house.

Last edited:
Congrats! I passed mine this week , and on Monday I'll start studying for the general, still waiting for my call sign.

i have a 6m fiberglass 5/8's wave ground plane and a 2m ringo ranger.
i have no interest in either band.
a new ham is welcome to both for $20.
loacted in S.E. MA send me a PM

both are spoken for...

Last edited:
For those studying for an exam, the ARRL has a nice online exam practice site. See http://arrlexamreview.appspot.com/index.html. I found it more useful than the software that came with the book because you can see the correct answers for questions you may have gotten wrong. (The software just gives you your score.) Another useful resource was the course syllabus from AD7FO (Jack Tiley). You can google it for the PDFs. I used it for the General and Extra exams. It provides an explanation, including calculations, for the correct answers. Using that, I was able to dust off my advanced trig cobwebs and learned how to do the calculations rather than just memorize everything. They also include a few pages with all the key concepts and formulas.

I installed a small sheet steel plate onto the top of the 3rd. brake light and mounted the mag mount antenna on to the plate. I am currently using a Yaseu VX5R HT with a speaker mic as my mobile radio. Congrats on your tech lic keep going the gen is not that hard a jump. I got my tech in June of 2013 and my gen in July I just got my extra 2 months ago.
KC1ABV

you guys are lucky
i had to go; novice-tech-general-advanced-extra with that dam code thrown in.
never used code again, only for the exams

Back
Top Bottom