• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another guy brings gun to movie...gets arrested: OHIO this time

I searched and didn't see already

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A northeast Ohio man brought a gun, ammunition and several knives to a showing of the latest Batman movie because he wanted to protect himself in case someone tried to replicate last month's deadly Colorado theater shooting, his attorney said Tuesday.
Scott A. Smith, 37, had no intention of causing harm or inducing panic when he brought the weapons to a Saturday showing of "The Dark Knight Rises," said his attorney, Matthew Bruce.
"With the recent shooting in Colorado, and the other incidents around the country in regards to threats, he felt that he needed protection," Bruce said.
Bruce said he was referring to movie theater threats made after the deadly July 20 shooting in Aurora, Colo., where a 24-year-old man is accused of killing 12 people and wounding 58 at a midnight showing of the same movie.
Bruce said his client "felt a sense of fear" about going to a theater, and chose the Batman movie by complete coincidence.
Smith brought the weapons to a Regal Cinemas theater in Westlake, just outside of Cleveland, and seated himself in the middle of the back row of the theater, a half hour before the movie started, police said.
A theater manager and an off-duty police officer working security stopped Smith after they became suspicious of a bag he was carrying, said Westlake Police Lt. Ray Arcuri.
"Why pick that movie? Why that theater? Why sit in the back all the way like that? Why bring the gun?" he said. "There's several unanswered questions."
Smith was arrested without incident and is currently jailed.
He was expected to be indicted on several weapons charges, but it's still too early to determine what those charges will be, said Nicole DiSanto of the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's office.
The theater manager first noticed Smith and the beige bag he carried over his shoulder, Arcuri said. When approached, Smith told the manager it had medical supplies inside. He then showed the manager a portion of the bag that didn't reveal the weapons.
The off-duty Westlake police officer also noticed Smith and his bag. After checking with the manager, the officer followed Smith into the empty theater.
The officer said Smith consented to a search inside the theater. Arcuri said the officer was more familiar with the bag, and knew where to look when he found a loaded 9 mm Glock pistol with two extra loaded magazines, Arcuri said. The officer also found three knifes in the bag and another knife on Smith, he said. There were also medical supplies, but Arcuri would not elaborate on what they were.
When the officer asked Smith why he brought the weapons into the theater, Smith offered to put them in his car.
Police searched Smith's North Ridgeville home Monday night and found more weapons, including at least six pistols and several shotguns and rifles, and thousands of rounds of ammunition.
Arcuri said Smith, who did not have a concealed carry permit, should not have brought any weapon to the theater.
"Our job is to protect the community," he said of police. "It's not his role. If there's a gun, it's because our officers brought it. It's not his job to bring the gun, it's ours."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120807/DA0GONP82.html

Exactly why consent to a search??? Oh and I like the held until we can figure out what the hell we can charge him with crap... At least I've got a permit!

This post is a lie. Jose has been telling us for years how Ohio is the last bastion of the 2nd ammendment, so I don't believe a word of it.

Wait… isn’t Ohio the place where you must yell at the top of your lungs that you are carrying every time you see a cop?

"Why pick that movie? Why that theater? Why sit in the back all the way like that? Why bring the gun?" he said. "There's several unanswered questions."

Seems like easy questions.
Good movie.
Convenient theatre? Maybe its cheaper.
Those are usually the best seats.
Protection.
See how easy that was, do cops go to the movies?

No permit. Done deal. If he had a permit then all of this would be bulshit. I also disagree with the statement that it's only the police that should have a gun.

Yeah and to trust the cops with guns for our protection, and that's why they are there so we don't need guns to protect ourselves! What a bunch of nanny crap, just look at what happened during a natural event like Katrina, how many cops where in the super dome to protect the people there and afterwards. Cops get paid to be bullies and shoot dogs with the protection of a corrupt system using our money. Even the supreme court has said that they have no obligation to actually protect anybody! I would trust a cop as a friend as I would a rattle snake as a pet! Now this guy is going to get busted up, cause of not having a permit, but for these people to say nobody should have guns except for the police makes me sick!

Charles.

The guy was a dumb ass for carrying a backpack and looking conspicuous. With the medical supplies it seems like this guy was hoping for an incident. His plan was to shoot the bad guy and treat any wound, then be labelled a hero. If he carried like a normal person none would have been the wires. If I was a movie theater manager I'd be curious whawas in the backpack. My first thought would be he's sneaking in his own food.

Last edited:
Funny how none of that ever happens to me and I carry everywhere I go, including the movies.

But then I go there to MYOFB and not to play medical hero.

Columbus, Shitcinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo: all anti gun shitholes

ETA

Carrying a gun: good

Carrying a gun without a license when you know you need one: ungood

Carrying w/o a license and being an attention whore: double plus ungood

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom