another gun shop being sued for selling.......guns!

its not the gunshops responsibility to determine capability. thats what a background check is for! i know not all states require a ltc. but you still have to do a background check. why did see clear the check? it says she was hospitalized multilpe times for suicidal tendencies and even social security deemed her severely mentally ill. how did she pass a background check is my first question!

its not the gunshops responsibility to determine capability. thats what a background check is for! i know not all states require a ltc. but you still have to do a background check. why did see clear the check? it says she was hospitalized multilpe times for suicidal tendencies and even social security deemed her severely mentally ill. how did she pass a background check is my first question!

You are asking the wrong question and pointing your finger in the wrong direction

With the tiny amount of information in this case, I suspect that the family was not completely innocent. Somehow the daughter they raised had "mental health issues" and was apparently upset with her father. Whatever the case, it has nothing to do with the gun shop who performed the appropriate background checks.

Ya everything would have ben fine if she just stabbed or poisoned him to death, but noooo, you had to sell her a gun, (gearjunky13 said sarcastically)

With the tiny amount of information in this case, I suspect that the family was not completely innocent. Somehow the daughter they raised had "mental health issues" and was apparently upset with her father.

You've never actually met and spent time with someone with true paranoid schizophrenia, have you? It's not a product of how they raised her or being "upset" at someone.

According to the lawsuit, a gun shop employee told Janet Delana that the store had "little control" over whether to sell her a gun. But the lawsuit says Missouri law allows a gun shop employee to use "individual judgment" in refusing sale to some customers.

wow, really? I know it's a private business and whatnot, just surprised to see a specific law on this

I wouldn't call it a gun shop, I would call it a pawn shop that sells some guns.

Some shops are guns stores that do some pawn stuff on the side. We don't see them because it's illegal for pawn stores to sell guns in MA, but in other parts of the country they do a big business in new and used guns.

If the social security admin determined she was "severely mentally ill" as reported, they should be held responsible for not notifying the proper authorities (AKA NICS).

That's not an "adjudication" which would qualify. Which is a good thing or else we'd have federal and state agencies, and probably some private hospitals, feeding a lot of names in to the NICS system.

Having read the article, It is not really about winning or losing, it is about making, being in the gun store business very expensive. The cost of these kind of law suits are very expensive to defend yourself against. Even if insurance is available that cost will go up.

If and when the lawsuit gets thrown out, the Brady Center to "Prevent" Gun Violence should be on the hook for all the legal fees the shop incurred as well as punitive damages for filing a frivilous lawsuit. Not saying that will ever happen, but if there was any justice left in this country, it would.

If and when the lawsuit gets thrown out, the Brady Center to "Prevent" Gun Violence should be on the hook for all the legal fees the shop incurred as well as punitive damages for filing a frivilous lawsuit. Not saying that will ever happen, but if there was any justice left in this country, it would.

This will not happen, as a "loser pays" system will be a dis-incentive to litigate and thus negatively affect attorney income.

You've never actually met and spent time with someone with true paranoid schizophrenia, have you? It's not a product of how they raised her or being "upset" at someone.
My step-mother who raised me since the age of 2 is schizophrenic. She's spent months at a time in the hospital from my earliest memories until today. So yeah, I have. That's just not my guess about what happened in this instance. But again, I'm only going on the tiny amount of information in the article.

Ok if the mother knew her daughter was looking buy a gun and knew her daughter was mental ill why didn't she call the police and ask them notify all gun shops
just asking

Daughter was of lawful age and Parents never had her committed or placed in a court ordered guardianship. So now she is blaming someone else for her failure to be a parent.

True but she told the pawn shop not sell her the gun right? so if this correct then why didn't she(the mother)ask the police to notify the pawn shop that her daughter needs help not a gun

Back
Top Bottom