• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another gun safe Q: need long gun safe for attic and pistol safe for bedroom. Recs?

I'm looking to upgrade my first safe (a real cheapo-- really just a locking cabinet), but the only places I can keep it (because of the layout of my house) are in the attic or the basement.

The basement is damp, even with dehumidifiers, so that leaves the attic, though it's hot in the summer. Three flights of narrow stairs (<36") to get there. I know the first piece of advice is to triple (quadruple...quintuple?) the size you think you'll need, but in my case I don't think I could maneuver one of the big ones up the stairs, even leaving aside the weight.

So my thinking is that I'll end up with multiple small-to-medium safes, and that the fire protected ones will be too heavy to carry for the number of guys that could fit on the stairs.

Does this seem right? What smallish safes do you like, for long guns and pistols? What features do you think are important, or just nice to have?

I also want a handgun safe for the bedroom. Any recommendations? I saw an article/video about how easy many are to open and wondered what NESers like? (here's the article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcweb...-gun-safes-can-be-opened-by-a-three-year-old/ )

Thanks for your help,

c-king

Bedroom: GunVault Deluxe, I love mine. I can fit 3 full size handguns comfortably in it and I can open it in about 2 seconds in complete darkness. They also make a one shelf model for around $90 if you don't need the extra space, but I like to keep some extra mags+ ammo and another handgun. [wink]

I really don't know what to say about your attic situation because you'd want something with enough protection but it'd be almost impossible to get up there. I have a 12 rifle Stack On case that I got for about $130 and I really like it, but it is pretty thin for your main safe and isn't water-proof, fire-proof etc.

Last edited:
Get a better dehumidifier for the basement, if you run a decent 70 pint system around the clock, it should dry it right out. I have a 70 pint Soleus Air dehumidifier in my basement with a hose attached so it drains right into my sump pit. The basement from one side to the other is nice and dry at 32% humidity.

I like this for the bedroom: https://www.ftknox.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=54. I'm a fan of the Simplex lock. It's easy to operate, reliable, doesn't run on batteries and doesn't require me to remember where I left the key. You can be into it in a second.

pistol_box-228x228.jpg

Locking Steel Cabinet = Stack On to me. I waited until Dicks had them on sale, dropped a coupon on the counter and got it at a hella discount.

Get a better dehumidifier for the basement, if you run a decent 70 pint system around the clock, it should dry it right out. I have a 70 pint Soleus Air dehumidifier in my basement with a hose attached so it drains right into my sump pit. The basement from one side to the other is nice and dry at 32% humidity.

http://www.thermastor.com/ultra-aire-ua-100v/ I put thease in a lot of homes they work great and they also work for a hole house if needed

In the HOT attic or DAMP basement...that sucks you can't find a nicer environment for your firearms. I would try a little harder if you value your investments.

Back
Top Bottom