• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another fork in the road...

As a newbie, one must take the baby steps to gain experience and I've found NES to be a wonderful source of guidance. I've experimented with different brands of ammo, trying to find the right fit for myself and my firearms. Having reached that goal, to a certain extent, I now have been frustrated in trying to find that choice of ammo, in stock, at the outlets that have the best prices. So the question of should I be "rolling my own" is now being considered. I've watched jamz's video series and decided that perhaps it is not as scary a possibility as first thought.

The question now, considering that my pistol is a G27, is this a viably safe choice? I've read the postings of people all over the net on both sides of the fence regarding the Glock/reload debate, as well as those who are on the fence. One consideration is the option of only using new brass, with JHP bullets, which would still be a savings over the "discount" price I've been trying to pay. (I'm excluding the cost of equipment in my cost consideration - as that is the price of personal control of choosing my own design and having the freedom to just head to the bench to get more ammo instead of going from store to store.) The other consideration would be trading/selling the G27 for a P239 .40cal, which was my second choice when I first went shopping. Though I have grown fond the little guy [smile]

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. (Everyone be safe in the impending snowstorm.) [grin]

You're fine with reloads in a Glock. If you have trouble with the 'Glock bulge' in the brass, either get an EGW undersized resizing die or an aftermarket barrel (or both). I like the barrels from KKM Precision.

I agree with EC's comments. With regard to glocked brass ( the rear most portion of the loaded round isn't completely supported by the chamber. When fired, the back end of the SIDES of the case expand a bit. That's what is meant by glocked brass....), most of us who have enough quantity just set those aside, and load only non-glocked brass.

Those of us who reload have always picked up our brass, and examined it as we shoot it. It tells us volumes about how our gun is working, and about how our reloading is doing.

A lot of non-reloaders have never bothered to even look at their fired brass.

So, next time you shoot, pick up some of your spent cases, and look at the back ends of the sides. If that gets bulged out, then you can reload it IF you use the type of die that EC suggests. If your budget allows, you can change out your barrel for an after market made one, and you won't get that glocked brass.

Hope that explains it better.

When done right, reloads can be fed through any gun.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

sorry couldn't resist

I'd have been disappointed if you had [wink], I thought about the same quote as I was writing it.

My thanks to all for the input. When I start to put together my setup, the resizing die will be included in the budget and one of the early steps in the process of prepping/checking my brass. The cost is much less than a barrel, and I would rather be taking the time and money to make sure that each round is done right each step of the way.

Another cost-effective tool to ensure ammo that functions is the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD). It uses a carbide sizing ring to not just taper-crimp the cartridge, but full-length resize it. You will find those who consider it anathema, but I am very pleased with it. ALL three of my auto pistol caliber tool heads have an FCD in Station 4.

The G27 is primarily a carry piece. If you are useing it for that purpose, I would not recomend a aftermarket barrel. You would be compromising reliability. Keep the stock barrel & use factory ammo for carry. Play around with aftermarket barrels & reloads at the range.

Back
Top Bottom