• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another CMP order going out

I will when I get home tomorrow. Any recommendations for ammo for these? I was going to buy a can of priv partisan that is marketed for garands. I understand that some modern 3006 hunting rounds can be damaging to these. I cant wait to shoot this.

Yes some other 30-06 loads can damage op rods be cause of the gas pressure or pulse that reaches the gas port is to much. Think of it as walking into a wall vs running into a wall.
That said I don't see much 30-06 much less than .90 cents per round. Except the CMP HXP surplus
and some Korean and Pakistani surplus out there. PPU M2 is IMHO the best value. The stuff I put over the crony was very good SD was 30fps vs all over the place with HXP....on average I got a SD of 75 with all the HXP I tested.
Almost all of it should deliver minute of SR1 ten ring. I have one crappy lot of HXP that is dedicated to pumpkin destruction.
You can always run a garand gear ported plug for everything else.
The creedmoor ammo is a good deal if you plan on buying anything costing 1$ or more per round.
You can recoup 10-20$ for the PPU ammo can or as much as .50 cents for the once fired lapua brass creedmoor uses.

- - - Updated - - -

prvi is good stuff! stay away from corrosive (Korean surplus with a few exceptions, easier to just avoid)

I'm not one for cleaning my rifles of corrosive ammo but there are some old guys at my club that lo e the Korean stuff....they say it's some of the best surplus made?

Last edited:
well there's corrosive and non corrosive Korean ammo. But unless you know which years/headstamps are which, its easier to just avoid it. I was at Rileys once and they were selling corrosive Korean telling me and others that its non-corrosive. I hope no poor Garand owners killed their rifle with that stuff.

well there's corrosive and non corrosive Korean ammo. But unless you know which years/headstamps are which, its easier to just avoid it. I was at Rileys once and they were selling corrosive Korean telling me and others that its non-corrosive. I hope no poor Garand owners killed their rifle with that stuff.

very true and heres a little info on such stuff.....

http://pnwbands.com/m1garand/ps75.html

Also if you have a club that wont allow ammo that attracts a magnet the PPU M2 is your best opption other than reloading

Last edited:
It looks like a new stock, but not one of the newest because they stamped those with the CMP logo. If you take the rifle out of the stock, Boyd stamoed their name inside some barrel channels. It looks like it's Walnut without much finish to it.

Mine came in today. Service grade H&R Garand, from 1957 with a newly manufactured CMP stock dated 24 February of this year.

Nice rifle, congrats.

I received my first Garand from CMP last month and it too came with a new CMP walnut stock. At first I was disappointed, because I was hoping for GI wood, but after finishing it with tung oil (working up to 1000 grit sandpaper), I’m really very pleased with it.

I love my first M1 with the dinged up GI stock, but when I order another one, I am going to ask for a new stock. That looks really nice.

I love my first M1 with the dinged up GI stock, but when I order another one, I am going to ask for a new stock. That looks really nice.

Not only can the new wood look nice it "should" shoot better as long as the fit is good.
My 1955 SG H&R shoots pretty darn good with the GI stock but really shot well with the new wood. Once it was fitted a little better.
Now get to your local CMP match and do what these rifles crave ......shoot them

Nice rifles millbilly & Bonesinium! Congrats! Looking at these makes me wish I had another...

The new stock on mine was slightly rough and 'fuzzy' from CMP. I very lightly and carefully knocked down the roughness with 600 then 800 mesh. Next was a few cycles of 0000 steel wool and BLO. The steel wool will give a very smooth satin finish and will bring out the grain a little. Stick to the extra fine sandpaper if you want a more level, glossy surface but carefully- I hear the CMP stain is not very deep.

As mac1911 states, get yourselves to a match! It's a blast and the experienced people are very helpful.

Nice rifles millbilly & Bonesinium! Congrats! Looking at these makes me wish I had another...

The new stock on mine was slightly rough and 'fuzzy' from CMP. I very lightly and carefully knocked down the roughness with 600 then 800 mesh. Next was a few cycles of 0000 steel wool and BLO. The steel wool will give a very smooth satin finish and will bring out the grain a little. Stick to the extra fine sandpaper if you want a more level, glossy surface but carefully- I hear the CMP stain is not very deep.

As mac1911 states, get yourselves to a match! It's a blast and the experienced people are very helpful.

If you use tung oil or linseed oil once you apply 2 coats and let it dry for a few days you can "wet" sand the stock with 600grit and the oil. It should not cut the wood finish....
Just a warning if you decide to remove the cmp finish the wood can be tough to stain evenly.
Especially the hand guards. This is why cmp sprays on that dull brown finish to keep the tones even.
My hand guards would not take the stain evenly on my bare wood new stock.
I was not really worried about it. I built this one to shoot a lot and only care what it can do down range.

Enjoy and shoot often!

Back
Top Bottom