Another Bartley Fox nightmare story

Just to play devils advocate here...
From the leo's point of view, the guys story was a bit janky and what if he'd actually just committed or was on the way to commit some heinous crime.
Career/life would be over, have to call it in, why chance it...?
And once it's called in, might not be officers choice whether or not to make it an arrest.

From the leo's point of view, the guys story was a bit janky and what if he'd actually just committed or was on the way to commit some heinous crime.
And once it's called in, might not be officers choice whether or not to make it an arrest.
That's what I was thinking as well. Cops seem to have a lot less leeway than in times past. No one wants to be the guy who let's someone walk away who goes on to kill someone or had killed someone already. They play it safe and lock up everyone. I remember as a teen, cops would tell us to load up our beers into the car and go somewhere else.

How about keeping the gun hidden, out of sight, and don’t tell anyone while you enjoy your vacation?
This x 11 billion.
It sounds like the guy that got arrested may not be the sharpest tool in the ole tool shed.
The place was probably in Salisbury and someone said "It's basically in Maine" which isn't to far from accurate geographically, but way off legally.
He was likely trying to do the right thing but made a few critical errors.
1. Be pissed at your brother for sure, but just leave the gun in your bag and STFU.
2. If you have to leave, don't decide to hike out on 95. Walking on 95 is pretty dumb and all he had to do was get directions on his phone. It would likely have been quicker to just walk secondary roads into NH. Could have caught an Uber to get across state line.
3. You tell the cop you have a gun in your bag? Seriously?

I don't doubt the facts as presented, but it's highly probable that the kid isn't being entirely honest with his account of the events. Like maybe he revealed to the driver that he had a gun with him and they pulled over and threw him out of the car on 95.
Whatever the truth is, the kid is screwed and will have to deal with this for the rest of his life. He should think about moving when he gets out of jail.

So you document who he is, keep the firearm and tell him to make arrangements for it to be returned properly, through an FFL. That's one way.

Stupid (at the level described, if true) should hurt. And I'd like to know more about that NORMAL state where the wonderful trooper happily acts as a free Uber driver with a smile and a nod of his hat to the confused armed hitchhiker. 🤪
Take your pick of many states. No, they won't be your Uber but they will get you off the highway to the next exit service station etc. if you are stranded.

Looks like you are living up to your screen name, as typically a Fudd would consider a person otherwise legal to have a firearm (no priors per OP) stupid to have it. Pedestrian on interstate highway should have been his only offense. Thanks for supporting my comment regarding 'slave rules'.

As far as stupid should hurt? Sure- volunteering the info that he has a gun was dumb. If crossing the border into MA was dumb, any of us who live here are infinitely more stupid so I'd give the guy a break for that.

It sounds like the guy that got arrested may not be the sharpest tool in the ole tool shed.
Entirely possible.

Also possible he's not had enough experience with theories like "nothing's illegal until you get caught."

This is one of the places the paranoia for a lot of young folks first trying pot/alcohol pops up. They forget that if they keep their cool, nobody knows they're doing anything "wrong." In our unfortunate defendant's case, the cops can't see inside his bag, inside the car, to see there's a gun and no matching license. But he apparently lacked the patience to just sit back and ride it out.

Take your pick of many states. No, they won't be your Uber but they will get you off the highway to the next exit service station etc. if you are stranded.

Looks like you are living up to your screen name, as typically a Fudd would consider a person otherwise legal to have a firearm (no priors per OP) stupid to have it. Pedestrian on interstate highway should have been his only offense. Thanks for supporting my comment regarding 'slave rules'.

As far as stupid should hurt? Sure- volunteering the info that he has a gun was dumb. If crossing the border into MA was dumb, any of us who live here are infinitely more stupid so I'd give the guy a break for that.

He at least had the good sense to not want to stay in Mass 😆

I think the "reputable lawyer" who told him the story is either lying or leaving out critical details that would make the story then make sense.
I’m not a lawyer nor do I play one on tv but it wouldn’t make any sense for a lawyer looking for advice from another reputable lawyer to lie or leave out critical details about a case all that would do is waste everyone’s time and probably not help the client which is what the original lawyer is trying to do.
Unfortunately many things in real life don’t make sense or what is logical to one seems completely illogical to another.

I’m not a lawyer nor do I play one on tv but it wouldn’t make any sense for a lawyer looking for advice from another reputable lawyer to lie or leave out critical details about a case all that would do is waste everyone’s time and probably not help the client which is what the original lawyer is trying to do.
Unfortunately many things in real life don’t make sense or what is logical to one seems completely illogical to another.
I didn't read anything above indicating that the "reputable lawyer" was asking Neil for his professional legal advice on how to handle that case. :rolleyes:

Sounded to me like the "reputable lawyer" was merely sharing a story with Neil because of the weirdness & oddity of the case. 🤪

I'll stand by my statement that some critical details must have been left out (for the story to actually make some kind of sense) or the "reputable lawyer" was just bullshitting and pulling Neil's leg. [thumbsup]

If true, his brother is a douchebag (and an idiot) and the guy is a fool for getting out of the car on the highway with a gun in his bag. Lots of fail all the way around.

Growing up in Dorchester we had a guy do the one year mandatory.

Here's the story...

Bobby was a longshoreman. His trunk was always filled with stuff he stole from his job. Lots of cigarettes. Watches. You name it.

Bobby was a tough guy and always carried a gun. He was well known by the local cops for a variety of indiscretions.

So Bobby and another five guys were standing outside the bar having a cigarette and shooting the shit. Bobby sees a cop car approaching and felt they were looking at him.

So Bobby grabbed the handgun from his jacket pocket and tossed it to another guy. The cops caught a glimpse of the other guy putting the gun in his pocket. So they stop and frisk him.

The other guy worked for the gas company or the edison. He had 4 or 5 kids. And hung at this bar.

Cops find the gun. They tell him they know it's not his. But he needs to drop a dime on whoever tossed it to him.

He refused. He lost his job. Went to jail for a year. Wife kicked him to the curb. And we never saw him again. They charged him with Bartley Fox.

Bobby told the guy he'd take the rap. He didn't want this fella taking the fall. But the guy just manned up and essentially lost everything that was important to him.

Truth is stranger than fiction...

Here's the story...

Bobby was a longshoreman. His trunk was always filled with stuff he stole from his job. Lots of cigarettes. Watches. You name it.

Bobby was a tough guy and always carried a gun. He was well known by the local cops for a variety of indiscretions.

So Bobby and another five guys were standing outside the bar having a cigarette and shooting the shit. Bobby sees a cop car approaching and felt they were looking at him.

So Bobby grabbed the handgun from his jacket pocket and tossed it to another guy. The cops caught a glimpse of the other guy putting the gun in his pocket. So they stop and frisk him.

The other guy worked for the gas company or the edison. He had 4 or 5 kids. And hung at this bar.

Cops find the gun. They tell him they know it's not his. But he needs to drop a dime on whoever tossed it to him.

He refused. He lost his job. Went to jail for a year. Wife kicked him to the curb. And we never saw him again. They charged him with Bartley Fox.

Bobby told the guy he'd take the rap. He didn't want this fella taking the fall. But the guy just manned up and essentially lost everything that was important to him.

Would any clear thinking guy do that ?

Here's the story...

Definitely would not describe that as "manning up"; purposefully failing your family and creating a broken home for 5 kids just to protect your degenerate friend is the exact opposite in my book.

Back
Top Bottom