• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another Bartley Fox nightmare story

Screenshot_20221217_145452_Waze.jpg

From my corner of NH, to Kittery, ME.

The fastest and "preferred" route is through Mass.

The direct route, depending on traffic, weather, etc, can sometimes take minutes to even an hour longer. At this instant, the times are all "about" the same.

Who knows why they took whatever route they did? Ask the retard brother at the wheel.

The really shocking thing to me is that so many members have no idea how many people get jammed up every day in this state for stuff like this.

It’s common, very common. And yes they do serve the time and yes it does ruin their lives. It sucks.

The really shocking thing to me is that so many members have no idea how many people get jammed up every day in this state for stuff like this.

It’s common, very common. And yes they do serve the time and yes it does ruin their lives. It sucks.

I also don't doubt this at all. If this guys being truthful shame on the cop for making it a deal bigger than it has to be.

I also don't doubt this at all. If this guys being truthful shame on the cop for making it a deal bigger than it has to be.
Why would that surprise you? You think the average cop isn't going to charge anyone they can for a gun? They're treated like heroes for jamming the average guy. In some departments a cop gets a bonus day off for every gun arrest.

Why would that surprise you? You think the average cop isn't going to charge anyone they can for a gun? They're treated like heroes for jamming the average guy. In some departments a cop gets a bonus day off for every gun arrest.
It doesn't, I try not to bash them too hard just to save face. You don't want to know my true opinion of police.

Thanks, Neil. I think, as usual, a lot of folks on NES are whistling past the graveyard. They don’t believe anything that doesn’t meet their preconceived notions. They don’t realize how many otherwise innocent people get caught up in the Justice system — it goes against their view that “I’m a good person, cops, prosecutors, and judges would realize that, so nothing bad would happen to me.” The reality is very different. If you get caught up in the system, you are grist for the mill — it will chew you up and spit you out, ruining your life in the process.

Thanks, Neil. I think, as usual, a lot of folks on NES are whistling past the graveyard. They don’t believe anything that doesn’t meet their preconceived notions. They don’t realize how many otherwise innocent people get caught up in the Justice system — it goes against their view that “I’m a good person, cops, prosecutors, and judges would realize that, so nothing bad would happen to me.” The reality is very different. If you get caught up in the system, you are grist for the mill — it will chew you up and spit you out, ruining your life in the process.
That was perfectly said. You must be feeling better! Hope so anyway

Did the brother have a good vacation? I hope he left a nice review.
Technically the perp(kidding) could've answered no to 'is there anything in the bag that shouldn't be there?'. The way I see it the gun was supposed to be in the bag. It was the bag that was in the wrong place. ;)

I am only repeating what I was told but the basics are true that the guy was walking down the road and is from NH with no record.
How about keeping the gun hidden, out of sight, and don’t tell anyone while you enjoy your vacation?

Or get the permits so you are covered in New England. Mass, RI, NH, VT, CT and Maine are all possible. Too bad NY and NJ are off limits.

Love all the posts from the "slave rules" crowd: Client was stupid, something smells fishy / BS, etc. In a NORMAL state an answer that a gun is in the bag would have resulted in this response from a cop: "OK I can give you a ride but the bag goes in the trunk & you can have it back when I drop you off." It is a shame and it is unconstitutional that the client was tripped up at all, but Massachusetts is NOT America.

JFC, whenever I think that just maybe I can tolerate living in Mass, something like this happens to remind me of the many ways to get tripped up in this state. OK so the client handled the situation like a bonehead- it should not matter.

Love all the posts from the "slave rules" crowd: Client was stupid, something smells fishy / BS, etc. In a NORMAL state an answer that a gun is in the bag would have resulted in this response from a cop: "OK I can give you a ride but the bag goes in the trunk & you can have it back when I drop you off." It is a shame and it is unconstitutional that the client was tripped up at all, but Massachusetts is NOT America.

JFC, whenever I think that just maybe I can tolerate living in Mass, something like this happens to remind me of the many ways to get tripped up in this state. OK so the client handled the situation like a bonehead- it should not matter.
I think everyone understands that MA is not normal. For the record i dont think @ntassel is lying.

I said the story didn't make sense for a few reasons. One was the NH to ME via MA route, but I guess that's possible depending on where they were starting and where they were ending up.

Why get out of the car though? He was clearly shitting his pants about being in MA. Why get out and turn a relatively short drive under the radar into a long walk along the highway, which I'm pretty sure will attract police attention regardless of what state you're in? If someone was driving me to CA and at some point I realized I was in Mexico, I wouldn't get out of the car and walk the rest of the way.

We all can mmqb the guys answer to the questions posed by the police, but he's prob just basically a good dude who's a little naive and was raised to do the right thing and not lie to police or anyone else.

I think everyone understands that MA is not normal. For the record i dont think @ntassel is lying.

I said the story didn't make sense for a few reasons. One was the NH to ME via MA route, but I guess that's possible depending on where they were starting and where they were ending up.

Why get out of the car though? He was clearly shitting his pants about being in MA. Why get out and turn a relatively short drive under the radar into a long walk along the highway, which I'm pretty sure will attract police attention regardless of what state you're in? If someone was driving me to CA and at some point I realized I was in Mexico, I wouldn't get out of the car and walk the rest of the way.

We all can mmqb the guys answer to the questions posed by the police, but he's prob just basically a good dude who's a little naive and was raised to do the right thing and not lie to police or anyone else.
I don't think @ntassel is lying either.

I think the "reputable lawyer" who told him the story is either lying or leaving out critical details that would make the story then make sense.

Otherwise, the facts (as stated) defy logic and common sense... oh, and geography too. [laugh]

A reputable lawyer told me about a current client's story. He is charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and ammo in Middlesex County. The DA won't dismiss it so he's looking at a year.

The guy has no record at all. He's a resident of NH. His brother told him he'd rented a house for a week in Maine. The brother drives him to the house which isn't in Maine but Massachusetts. When the guy realizes he is in Massachusetts he says to the brother "wtf I have a gun in my bag you need to take me home." The brother refuses to take him home and the guy gets out to walk back to Mass.

On the highway a trooper sees him walking on a highway which is against the law. The trooper agrees to give him a ride but asks him if there's anything in the bag that shouldn't be in there and the guy says there's a gun...

Motion to suppress was denied. The gun is loaded so FOPA technically doesn't apply.

Edit (since some are questioning whether anyone could be this stupid):

This conversation took place at a court party with the prosecutor's supervisor present who consceded the basic facts. It was said in their presence to see if I could pressure the prosecutor with whom I have a good relationship to work out a dismissal of some type.

He got out on the highway to walk back to Maine on the highway because he had a gun and dude wouldn't drive him back, combined with going to rented house his brother didn't even know what state it was in? lol

If I was the judge I would toss them both in jail until they fabricated a better more believable story.

Stupid (at the level described, if true) should hurt. And I'd like to know more about that NORMAL state where the wonderful trooper happily acts as a free Uber driver with a smile and a nod of his hat to the confused armed hitchhiker. 🤪

I don't think @ntassel is lying either.

I think the "reputable lawyer" who told him the story is either lying or leaving out critical details that would make the story then make sense.

Otherwise, the facts (as stated) defy logic and common sense... oh, and geography too. [laugh]
I disagree.

I think the client simply panicked when he realized they were in MA and made a bad decision. He wasn't thinking clearly. People don't always make good decisions under stress.

Back
Top Bottom