1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Another attack on electoral college

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by namedpipes, Feb 25, 2019.

1. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Massachusetts already did this!?!?!?

I must live under a rock. I had no idea that Deval Patrick and the children playing on Beacon Hill passed a bill joining the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact back in 2010. We've already neutered ourselves. If MA residents vote against the national average, we give our EC votes to the other side. {In this case that's a silver lining because it's the only way a Republican will ever get MA's EC votes.}

Supposedly Charlie doesn't like this, but Beacon Hill would have to send him a bill to sign. He knows that won't happen, so he can stand on which ever side of the fence he likes.

AHM likes this.

2. AHM

AHM NES Member

I have a solution.
    NES group buy: fund @Len-2A Training to arrest any faithful electors.

cockpitbob likes this.
  3. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

Ironically enough this actually helps make your vote count for more in this shitty state. Like I said, if Trump picks up 50% + 1 vote, guess who the electoral votes go to! I swear to god that would make me giddy as a schoolgirl.

JayMcB and teaser452 like this.
  4. jpk

jpk

5. Rehoboth Dave

Rehoboth Dave NES Member

Actually if this ever gets implemented it won't matter how deeply red or blue a states population is, the states votes would go to whoever wins the national popular vote regardless.
    That would mean for example if a Republican were to get the most votes nationally then every state in the pact, Massachusetts, California, New York even, would then be forced to cast their electoral votes for the GoP candidate regardless of how their states population voted. You can imagine how that will that will sit with their Dem majorities and there will be a lot of push to fudge and override results that they don't like.
    While it would be satisfyingly ironic to see that happen, especially with a Trumpian caliber replacement, it would be a Pyrrhic victory because I think the big unintended consequence would be everyone finally realizing just how much controversy and acrimony there will have to be in every presidential election going forward before anyone will ever accept the results of a popular vote if that happens at all. Times the chaos in the 2000 Florida election recounts by fifty. Ballot harvesting will become a major industry.
    Now i'm not one who believes in imminent civil war but this would certainly push us down that road, and the only ones who will benefit are the Deep State types who will gain even more power and authority for themselves containing the resulting social unrest at the behest of the politicians who created the whole mess.

teaser452 likes this.
  6. Glockster30

Glockster30 NES Member

If Shillary won the election, no Democrat would be talking about abolishing the EC or packing SCOTUS with more judges.

7. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

Are the people proposing such measures morons, evil, or both? I'm guessing their supporters are ignorant and have no idea about the concept and continued relevance of the "electoral college/votes".

8. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

You really think this state would give the votes to Trump if he won the popular vote? Lol.

9. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

10. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

They're hanging it on this hook:

amm5061 likes this.
  11. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

That's because the presidential election was never meant to be a popular election. It was supposed to be the states that decided, however they best thought to do it. I actually think this is perfectly constitutional, but it's a shitty way to let LA and NYC basically run the country. They're essentially saying: "f*** all the people in my state, the big cities know better!"

That's the point. Just like how there was a huge uproar that Deval couldn't appoint a successor for Drunk Ted when he finally stroked the f*** out because the state freaked out and change the laws so a republican governor couldn't appoint a senator. Hypocrisy, thy name is Massivetwoshits.

12. jpk

jpk

13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Of course not. Because they start with the assumption they are 100% right at all times. So if things didn't go their way, something must be wrong with the SYSTEM and we must change that in order to fix things.

Best in life: They'd be standing behind Hillary as she got indicted for 33223 different things as well. I've got a client who said, "Hillary is innocent because they didn't indict her, let alone convict her. No conviction, must be innocent. Oh, and Trump is going down." When they Mueller stuff is over and he's not indicted, I'm wondering how they feel about their previous assertion. I'm sure it will change to fit the circumstances.

14. jpk

jpk

15. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

My point was, I'm not sure the compact forces Mass to do it, and if it does, the Legislature would just change the law and give the votes to Trump's opponent. Or ignore the law. They do it all the time.

16. jpk

jpk

17. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

They can't. But when did legality, morals or ethics ever stop a politician from doing whatever they please?

drgrant likes this.
  18. TLB

TLB

19. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

Maine Senate passes bill giving state's electoral votes to national popular vote winner

The Maine Senate voted 19-16 Tuesday to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, which would give all committed states' electoral votes to the winning popular vote candidate should the group accrue the 270 votes necessary for a majority.

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington state and the District of Columbia have all committed to the pact. The most recent addition, New Mexico, put the total at 189 electoral votes.

20. knoxy

knoxy NES Member

They're close to passing this shit up here in Maine too.

I politely pointed out the folly of this on faceplant & got called a Nazi.

teaser452 likes this.
  21. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

King Angus is a tool but we all know that.
    Susan Collins should just get it over with and place a D next to her name.

22. jpk

jpk

that SOOOOO needs to be a bumper sticket

MarkT likes this.
  23. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob NES Member

Is any of this crap legal???