Another AR Question

Instead of butting in on the other current AR thread with a different question.....

My wife went to the Women's Instructional Shoot at MRA yesterday and liked firing the AR so I am planning on getting her (/us [grin]) one.

Jarhead posted on another thread that the best manufacturers were: Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Rock River.

It seems like I basically have 4 choices:

1) Buy a complete rifle (approx $900-$1200?? based upon config).
2) Buy a lower then buy a seperate upper with any other bits and peices I need and assemble myself.
3) Buy a stripped lower, a parts kit, an upper etc and build myself.
4) Buy an 80% receiver, finish it, then use that to do a full build.

I can detail strip and rebuild a glock and a mauser without any concerns so 2 or 3 seem relatively easy but I think 4 is a bit outside my comfort level (and tool supply) at the moment.

I saw the following on gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=49873507

Does that look like a reasonable lower to buy?

If I get that I would get an adjustable buttstock (any recommendations??), some magazines (anything to watch out for there?) and an upper assembly (currently thinking an A4 style upper with a 16" barrel would be best for an AR newbie, can start with iron sights then try out scopes and electronic sights once we are comfortable with operation/accuracy etc).

What should I look for in an upper?, is there anything else I will need?

Thanks in advance for any insight and comments, I am busy trawling other boards as well but to be honest I respect the people here and there opinions a lot more than the people at places like arfcom [smile]

Markm...that is a preban lower only if your from a state without an AWB...im pretty sure you cant buy that because it is outside of MA...the seller states it as
The Federal "Assault Weapon" (AW) Ban is over so how you finish it off is up to you unless you come from a "Blue State" that has a State AW Ban then you need to keep it Post Ban Configuration.

prebans arent that hard to find but they are expensive when you find one...i spent $1200 on my preban bushy and now have over $3000 invested in it

most of the prebans ive seen for sale are colts and the problem with colts are that they are fit so tight that sometimes other companis uppers dont fit too well on them

i would suggest a preban because the sky is the limit with what you can do to it as far as stock mods flash suppressors etc...if a collapsible stock doesnt matter to you save money and get a postban...you can get a brand new bushy carbine for around $8-900 and with the money you save from not buying a preban you could put towarda a different upper if you so wished

Thankfully Blood Hound I live in NH so preban/postban/noban is not a problem [smile] (unless of course I want to bring it to the next NES shoot [smile])

Panther is a great MFG, it is really up to you and how deep that pocket goes... and since your in a free state (NH) you don't have to worry about the BS we go in!

as for mag's.. I would go with Sanchez

again, the style is up to you and how much you want to spend, I like HBAR myself.

I would take a serious look at Bushmasters. I love mine. Rileys in Hooksett and Lewis Arms seem to keep them in stock and often have used ones. The auction price seems pretty good and since it is in NH, you can do the transfer without paying shipping or an FFL transfer fee.

I agree that a flat top upper is more flexible. My next upper will be a flat top (but probably in 50 Beowulf).

As for Mags, I purchased a bunch of 30 round mags from www.cproductsllc.com The quality is fantastic, the price is unbeatable and the customer service is great. I would reccomend that you give them a call and discuss your needs. I would reccomend that you pay the extra $0.75 for the Marlube finish.

Mark

oh...well then...thats a totally diff story...i didnt realize you were in NH

heres a manufacturer you didnt mention...Stag Arms...i have a stag upper and its awesome...i have a bushy lower too...my 3 top guns would be rock river, stag and bushmaster in no particular order

i have OKAY mags and they work great...theyre milspec and i havent had a fail to feed yet...however...i do have to say that HK mags...although expensive...work like a charm...but why buy 30 round mags when you can get a beta mag???

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions so far.

What do you want to do with it?

Initially to have a gun that can get my wife more interested in going shooting with me, one that is good quality but not match grade, that I can add to over time.

I started out with a straight out-of-the-box Bushmaster in A2 service rifle configuration. Nice, study rifle for a good price at the time. Easy to handle, and capable of doing well at 200 yds w/ a chromed 1X9 barrel.
I did a jewel trigger and put some weight up front to dampen the wobble.
Last year, I mounted a WOP 26' match upper on the original BM lower.
At some point, I can install a float tube on the old A2 upper and even throw another barrel (1X8) if I want.
I've seen a few guys try shooting out at 200 yds w/ a light M4/16 inch barrel and shorter sight radius. They surely have to work at it to keep up with the guys running the regular 20 inch barrels and a longer sight radius.
All depends on what you wanna do with it again (and how much you are thinking of spending)
I've had no problems with Bushmaster at all. I might go with a RRA DCM model my next time out, though. I hear good things about them.
Hope this helps.
CJC

Depending on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend a great option is to go to www.jprifles.com. He builds one of the nicest AR's in the business. I have one and couldn't be happier. He builds the gun to your specs and you never have to throw money into modding it because it is setup right out of the box. Give them a call and tell him what you want it for and he'll point you in the right direction. The other thing I liked about JP is that they give you the cheapest option for you and it only gets really expensive when you start changing things around. Anyways here is my rifle:

Riflenew002.jpg

Pete

For Rock River, you have one of the best stocking dealers around up in NH. Don't recall his name, but someone here will fill in that blank.

Mags: Buy ONLY USGI mags, new or used, but they work the best. 20 rd mags also work better than 30 rd mags. 30 rd mags also have a tendency to dig into your off-hand arm, don't allow you to shoot prone (too high). I have a bunch of pre-ban 30s and new green followers for them, but no longer even take them to the range with me. I bring my 20s and I'm happy.

LenS said:
For Rock River, you have one of the best stocking dealers around up in NH. Don't recall his name, but someone here will fill in that blank.

Mags: Buy ONLY USGI mags, new or used, but they work the best. 20 rd mags also work better than 30 rd mags. 30 rd mags also have a tendency to dig into your off-hand arm, don't allow you to shoot prone (too high). I have a bunch of pre-ban 30s and new green followers for them, but no longer even take them to the range with me. I bring my 20s and I'm happy.

I use 30 round mags exclusively. Sits nicely in the pocket of my offhand elbow during the standing and don't come close to touching the ground in the prone. You will have to tilt the rifle to get it all the out, though. Nothing wrong with 30's for high power.

Tony, I respect your opinion.

I was told this by a number of others who shoot AR15 competitively.

I've had it dig into my forearm, but I shoot usually bare-armed (Summer), no glove/jacket as I'm just plinking or informal target shooting.

I think it's a matter of preference Len. I went distinguished using only 30 round mags. I use 20 rounders now just because... No reason other than they take up less room in my stool.

LenS said:
Tony, I respect your opinion.

I was told this by a number of others who shoot AR15 competitively.

I've had it dig into my forearm, but I shoot usually bare-armed (Summer), no glove/jacket as I'm just plinking or informal target shooting.

Len - It's like derek pointed out it is merely a matter of preference. I shoot competiitively (well - depending on what kind of day I'm having) and have used 30 rounders since that's what I used in the Corps and had on hand.

My point was merely to say that you CAN use them without a problem if that's what you prefer. And, if you shoot the ITT you will NEED to use them.

My first AR was the Bushmaster DCM I use for Service Rifle matches. I've been very happy with the quality of that & the Bushmaster carbine I've picked up since.

When I was putting a rifle together for my wife to use I went through a few iterations before we got it right. My first plan was a 20" Govt profile barrel A2 upper with and adjustable stock. That was still a bit muzzle heavy & she didn't really care for the round handguard. Next the upper was switched to an SP1 configuration, also 20" barrel but thin profile along the full length. She like the upper configuration but didn't like the adjustable stock, a standard RRA M4 style. It was uncomfortable and tough to get a good cheek weld. That has since been replaced with an A1 buttstock & she's happy with it.

Parts I used on that one were:
LMT lower
Bushmaster LPK
barrel 1: Bushmaster 20" govt 1:9
upper reciever 1: ??? possibly Bushy
upper reciever & barrel 2: Colt
Bolt/Carrier : RRA

Everything has worked fine in all it's configurations. I'm happy with how it's turned out & my wife has shot it a few time and likes it. My sister also shot it at one of our clubs matches last year.

If it's your first AR and you find a stock rifle you both like I'd recommend buying it complete. You don't really save much building it. (especially when you swap multiple parts...) Also if you start swapping barrels you'll need an upper reciever block and barrel wrench at a minimum.

CD

When do we get to the one-stage or two-stage trigger question? Please wake me when that happens.

MarkM said:
Initially to have a gun that can get my wife more interested in going shooting with me, one that is good quality but not match grade, that I can add to over time.

MarkM,

I think you will find that she will be more interested in the social activities that come along with shooting than in getting the perfect AR. Only thing I can add is less recoil and muzzle blast would be a good thing. Don't just take her out to shoot the rifle. Take her out to shoot the rifle in an organized activity or with the same group of friends.

B

Back
Top Bottom