Another Anti-gun Gun Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
If judging to harshly NES please let me know.
In my morning paper today was an article about the newest gun store in south eastern MA, Ephesian Arms.
In the article the owner advocates for required training as requirement to purchase a firearm. Even going as far as to say "Massachusetts does it right" and "it really should be looked at as a model for the rest of the country".
The article can be seen on the Fall River Herald News website.
Heraldnews.com
Maybe it's just me but I'm bothered by a gun shop owner who advocates the need for me to have special training and a permit to exercise a God given and constitutional right. Perhaps a gun shop who's name invokes the biblical should recall the words of Christ, "And whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36.

He's entitled to his opinion, but the fact is that the rest of the country is getting by just fine.

Last edited:
I think guns and shooting in general are so rare in Massachusetts that many people living here haven't experienced learning to shoot with their grandfather or father. That if you haven't taken some special course, there's simply no way for you to have an understanding of firearms and how to safely and appropriately use them.

Maybe he should have a nice chat with the hand-wringing ninny who complained via one local paper's opinion page over the issuance of a business license to a business called "Ephesian Arms."

There is nothing even approaching "right" about how Massachusetts does things.

Perhaps a gun shop who's name invokes the biblical should recall the words of Christ, "And whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36.

Careful! Jesus was also for sword control. Later in that passage... "The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords." "That's enough!" he replied." Luke 22:38 [shocked]

If judging to harshly NES please let me know.
In my morning paper today was an article about the newest gun store in south eastern MA, Ephesian Arms.
In the article the owner advocates for required training as requirement to purchase a firearm. Even going as far as to say "Massachusetts does it right" and "it really should be looked at as a model for the rest of the country"
Not to split hairs here, but I think your quoted text was intended as specific to the state's background check and record keeping system "MIRCS":

Despite the mountains of paperwork required to buy and possess a gun in Massachusetts, the state does a good job of managing the process of background checks and applications, Ford said.

"Massachusetts really does it right," he said. "It is not often I say that about the state. It really should be looked at as a model for the rest of the country."

I don't think it was intended as a general endorsement of all things gun-related in the PRM. I hope it wasn't anyway. [thinking]

Local gun shops say training, teaching responsibility are key parts of their operations - Fall River, MA - The Herald News

Anyone can have an opinion, just don't expect me to give them my business and don't expect me to sit by if their opinion turns into action to take away my rights.

Personally, I think he was stating that every gun shop should strive to educate their customer.

Knowing both Mike and Matt - If you are in the store, just ask. They may not have realized how their comments sounded played against our aggressive view of the subject.

Next time I see Matt or Mike, I will ask.

I think guns and shooting in general are so rare in Massachusetts that many people living here haven't experienced learning to shoot with their grandfather or father. That if you haven't taken some special course, there's simply no way for you to have an understanding of firearms and how to safely and appropriately use them.

That doesn't mean it should be compulsory.

Guns, cars, wood-cutting equipment, airplanes, etc. are all dangerous tools if used by the uninformed and untrained. Most rational, responsible people know this without the state telling them so and will seek out training without a mandate.

Plus mandating training could (and is, of course) used as a "neo poll-tax" to discourage people from exercising their Second Amendment-protected freedoms.

It could even endanger some, e.g. estranged wife seeking a means to protect herself after husband has been stalking and threatening her, etc.

Not to split hairs here, but I think your quoted text was intended as specific to the state's background check and record keeping system "MIRCS":

I don't think it was intended as a general endorsement of all things gun-related in the PRM. I hope it wasn't anyway. [thinking]
That's why I asked if I was judging too harshly, to get the opinions of others.
It also says this in the article:
“Training is key,” said Ford, the owner of Ephesian Arms.

“The firearm is a responsibility. When you have a license to possess or carry a firearm, your maturity has to expand exponentially. It is like driving a motor vehicle.
“The most important thing for everyone walking in here is training and education.”

I also feel this quote could be taken multiple ways, but if I were in the gun business I'd likely be treading more carefully on both points.

I really don't understand why people get all bullsh*t over requiring people to have training to exercise their second amendment rights. We all are forced to go to school to learn how to speak and write so we can freely practice our first amendment rights, right? [smile]

/sarcasm, for those who don't get it.

Local gun shops say training, teaching responsibility are key parts of their operations - Fall River, MA - The Herald News

Splitting hairs or not, there is nothing that I can see that the PRM does right with regards to firearms or their use. Maybe I shouldn't jump in, being in NH, but GAWD Massachusetts is messed up.

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

That's why I asked if I was judging too harshly, to get the opinions of others.
I've also says this in the article:
“Training is key,” said Ford, the owner of Ephesian Arms.

“The firearm is a responsibility. When you have a license to possess or carry a firearm, your maturity has to expand exponentially. It is like driving a motor vehicle.
“The most important thing for everyone walking in here is training and education.”

I also feel this quote could be taken multiple ways, but if I were in the gun business I'd likely be treading more carefully on both points.
My guess is that the over-the-top emphasis on training was more about the agenda of the reporter and newspaper than about the owner's themselves. Yes, they offer the training needed for you to get your license. Big deal. Lots of shops do.

I just don't see the article as that bad for a (liberal Massachusetts) newspaper article. It's a new business. They are just trying to get their company name in the paper and smile pretty for the photographer. I see nowhere where they are proposing new laws. Sounds to me like they are just trying to help folks comply with the existing laws so they can sell a few guns and make a living.

I wouldn't rule them out based on one so-so newspaper article. That article could have been written about almost any gun shop in the state.

I have had several lengthy conversations with those guys and my anti-sense never tingled. They seem to be good guys excited about guns and the new shop. I certainly never heard anything in favor of the Ma bullshit. If anything the conversations centered around how ridiculous everything is here. I wouldn't be surprised to find out they were "creatively quoted" by the journalist.

You may want to actually go meet them before ripping them up here because of something you read in the FR Herald of all things. You may as well be basing life decisions on info from the Onion...

Last edited:
That doesn't mean it should be compulsory.

Guns, cars, wood-cutting equipment, airplanes, etc. are all dangerous tools if used by the uninformed and untrained. Most rational, responsible people know this without the state telling them so and will seek out training without a mandate.

Plus mandating training could (and is, of course) used as a "neo poll-tax" to discourage people from exercising their Second Amendment-protected freedoms.

It could even endanger some, e.g. estranged wife seeking a means to protect herself after husband has been stalking and threatening her, etc.

That's fair Mike and I agree.

This^^^

The place could be called "Jesus's hog leg heaven" for all I care. If they treat me well as a customer, it doesn't matter.

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

His opinions on gun ownership don't bother me. If he based his shop's name on the bible, that does.

Not sure I get this? So in your opinion he is justified in an opinion that infringes on my individual right but does not have an individual right to name his own business after his own personal belief? I'm a believer in individual freedom......if you don't mess with mine I won't mess with yours........

Care to expand on your comment so we can all know where you are coming from

he's a gun shop owner opening in hostile territory. I can't blame him if he's towing the line given the maggots in government whod think nothing of finding a way to screw with his business for uttering a criticism of how things work here.

even then, if that's his opinion, I'll respect his right to it - and even shop there until such time that he's working actively against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom