• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

another ammo shortage?

I don't see an ammo shortage, but I still haven't seen the primers come back and I'm struggling to see a good explanation for that shortage lasting as long as it has.
Primers are easy to get now. Except for large rifle. And if you don’t believe me, look at shooting bot to see what’s in stock

Last edited:
Primers are easy to get now. Except for large rifle
Which is crazy to think about because LRP was probably the longest lasting when the panic started, but my guess is production is more limited because of low demand

While just checking what was out there (I got enough as the saying goes) I noticed not too much 7.62-54 (Mosin) out there. Like literally nothing or silly priced. (Plus, I'm a Ma**h*** so there is that issue for sellers willing to seel into the PRM)

Anyway, found some at CTD and the price was decent... Picked up a "little bit" since with all this ASW Ban crap going on now across the country you never know when basic semi-auto will actually be a crime and we gottan resort to the ole' bolt action......

Stack High (and Deep)

Kirk. OUT.
I got a Mosin m44 with two 440 round spam cans. Haven’t shot it in years. Seriously thinking I should sell it but it does throw a massive flame 🔥
Hmm

The people usually pushing ammo shortages are the people sitting on a bunch of inventory.. it's a story as old as the bible lol
Nah, honestly its usually some boomer fudd type that just wants to sound like they know something. Gossip and panic.

In this case it reminds me of "my sister got a $500 covid violation ticket because of ez pass" thing.

I got a Mosin m44 with two 440 round spam cans. Haven’t shot it in years. Seriously thinking I should sell it but it does throw a massive flame 🔥
Hmm
Keep it, it's only going to grow in value, I remember when they were basically $100 throwaway trash can guns and now 'Tards are paying $600+ for them.

There is that aspect as well, I saw a lot of smaller ammo companies shut down and come back because they clearly couldn't get primers or brass. Whatever the deal the bottom line is that hobby reloaders aren't getting primers because that supply isn't increasing because companies refuse to increase supply.

Which irritates me to no end because the cost for another machine to punch anvils and cups and hire one more person to work in the primer compound room is very little compared to investing in more machines to make bullets, cases, and fixing the ammo. Again, no matter what the investment cost is the companies are refusing to do it.

Guns get sold once, ammo gets sold continuously to feed said guns. So, there's reasons for gun makers not to expand because after people went crazy and bought them they didn't need to buy guns anymore, but the ammo is always needed if they shoot those guns at all.

And that's just focusing on the Covid panic buys, what I'm talking about is the explosion in the CCW market. Even if only 5m of the 70m people choose to carry that's 5m more people with a need for ammo that didn't exist 3 years ago.

Maybe not immediately, but 10-20 years from now when PSA expands and can start selling steel case 9mm for 25% less than what Blazer and Winchester can for brass, it will have a noticeable impact.
Primers (well small pistol and rifle) have been sitting on shelves collecting dust at this point. Which is why many online vendors are doing free shipping or free hazmat to try and move product. They’re not really dropping the price all that much though. TSUSA used to be over $100 per 1k before hazmat and shipping. They’re now $88

Just remember...

In the future, you will always look back and wonder why you didn't pile it high and deep when you could.

Just something to think about.
Third years of the presidency generally has been ammo priced at lowest prices. Election years tend to bump it up.

Average calibers are at fairly low pricing when inflation is taken into account.

I can't argue with buying cheap and stacking deep right now.....on Ammo like 9mm. 11-12 dollars a box.

On Primers.....nope. Still sky high.

Third years of the presidency generally has been ammo priced at lowest prices. Election years tend to bump it up.

Average calibers are at fairly low pricing when inflation is taken into account.

I can't argue with buying cheap and stacking deep right now.....on Ammo like 9mm. 11-12 dollars a box.

On Primers.....nope. Still sky high.
Good 9mm is still typically more than that, but it's still worth grabbing cases. There will come a time where $300 is the new normal and the skinflints will be crying hard then. I haven't even been shooting much at all lately but im still buying ammo because in the long haul vs past experience ive never regretted those decisions.

Back
Top Bottom