• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another .22LR AR-style rifle

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
This one from Mossberg, with an MSRP only $276. Personally I really like these "gateway ARs" that will hopefully get more new shooters into the AR platform.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=43

37200.jpg

I think rifles that look like ARs but have a different control layout are kinda silly. Also, the railed carry handle is fugly.

I myself like ar 22lr's I own several. However IMHO if your going to get one you should get a ar lower and a 22lr upper. This way you know what the proper AR controls are. Of course then if your on a budget you can just buy a different upper while maintaining the learned controls.

I think rifles that look like ARs but have a different control layout are kinda silly. Also, the railed carry handle is fugly.

I agree on both points, but still think that anything that gets a new shooter to say "wow, I'd really like to get a real AR someday" is a good thing.

I myself like ar 22lr's I own several. However IMHO if your going to get one you should get a ar lower and a 22lr upper. This way you know what the proper AR controls are. Of course then if your on a budget you can just buy a different upper while maintaining the learned controls.

Or you could just get an M&P15-22 which has exactly the same layout.

Or you could just get an M&P15-22 which has exactly the same layout.

For practicing for your centerfire AR, an upper is the way to go. For new shooters and especially kids, I'd go with the M&P15-22 (it's much lighter, which is an advantage for newbies and kids, and a disadvantage for more realistic practice.)

i for one don't see the BFD of practicing with a M&P 15-22 outside of the 10rd mags.

unless your a girl, it should be obvious that it's a lighter gun and using it is to practice and conserve ammo.

a dedicated 22LR upper is cool too though.

wolf I dont' get your point. I can't tell if you think its a good idea or bad?

The fact that the trigger, bolt release, mag release and selector/safety all work identically to the real thing helps to build muscle memory.
This is in contrast to the colt, ruger, mosberg, and all the others I know where some aspect of these controls is vastly different.

I don't own an M&P but borrowed one for an appleseed shoot and came away impressed.

I have a conversion kit personally and the accuracy is inferior to the M&P or a dedicated upper. But the conversion kid was cheap and allows me to practice the quick, close type of shooting I've been doing lately. (bowling pins)
Don

wolf I dont' get your point. I can't tell if you think its a good idea or bad?

The fact that the trigger, bolt release, mag release and selector/safety all work identically to the real thing helps to build muscle memory.
This is in contrast to the colt, ruger, mosberg, and all the others I know where some aspect of these controls is vastly different.

I don't own an M&P but borrowed one for an appleseed shoot and came away impressed.

I have a conversion kit personally and the accuracy is inferior to the M&P or a dedicated upper. But the conversion kid was cheap and allows me to practice the quick, close type of shooting I've been doing lately. (bowling pins)
Don

[laugh]

my point is that either is fine. i personally prefer a stand alone gun vs using an upper.

i don't get the whole "it's too light to train with" argument.

my only issues with my M&P 15-22 is the 10rd mags. otherwise, it's a damn fun gun. accurate too!

[laugh]

The difference in weight will cause the rifle to transition differently. A heavier rifle is harder to start/stop and you will over transition if you trained with a light rifle. It will also react differently while shooting on the move. If your training is standing and shooting one target, then any gun will do.

[laugh]

my point is that either is fine. i personally prefer a stand alone gun vs using an upper.

my only issues with my M&P 15-22 is the 10rd mags. otherwise, it's a damn fun gun. accurate too!

Ok. Well, you could add weight by hanging crap off the rails. ha.
Remember also that only you MA, NY, NJ and CA people have to deal with 10 rd mags. The rest of us get full capacity, 30 ish. round mags.

Apples and oranges. For someone serious who wants to train with something as close to the "real thing" as possible, a dedicated upper is the only way to go IMHO. With that said, this class of light "tactical 22s" is more for entry level shooters who don't necessarily want to spend a ton of money on a "real" AR.

American Rifleman did a write up this month on AR Style 22s. Called it a "Tactical Plinkster" and noted it was "bottom rung (in) accuracy".

A bargain for those seeking a functional a reliable rifle.

for sub 300.00 and not a 10/22 its ok. Im sure its all plastic like the M&P. It will have its share of the less exspensive kinda looks like a AR market.
More of the new younger shooters I believe would be attracted to this more than a base model 10/22.
Personally a good retro 22 is in order M1 Garand or M1A Carbine...........there are many kids @ the range who know alot about the historic guns from the video games.

Recently had a young kid eye balling my TT33, he knew what it was even spouted off the basic specs of the pistol.

So many of these 22 ar's out there every month a new one the hk416 is nice but on the $$ side I think 600 it's really take your pick of what you like and go for it and you can trade it in when you wanna go up to a 5.56

So many of these 22 ar's out there every month a new one the hk416 is nice but on the $$ side I think 600 it's really take your pick of what you like and go for it and you can trade it in when you wanna go up to a 5.56

Where is Scriv when we need him? [devil2]

+1 on the M&P 15-22 EXACTLY like an AR-15 (no forward assist, though). Even takes the JP AR trigger spring mod from Brownells.
It is really a fun weapon to shoot

I also have "Real" AR (Les Baer Custom) - costs a lot more to shoot, though

Last edited:
Correct. The Colt selector throws 180 deg between safe and fire, not 90 like a real AR.

The ruger is just a dressed up 10/22. Not a bad thing in most ways, but bad if you are buying the gun to give yourself cheap AR specific practice.

Don

Back
Top Bottom