• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another 223 vs 556 thread...

I hear ya, that's pretty much what I'm doing now. Just wasn't sure if there was something there as far as accuracy, barrel wear, etc.

I hear ya, that's pretty much what I'm doing now. Just wasn't sure if there was something there as far as accuracy, barrel wear, etc.

Just don't shoot 5.56 through a .223 (except for mini-14's) as the chamber may not be rated for the higher pressure.

It's more bullet weight that will have issues. If you use the heavier 62+ grain bullets in a 1:12 twist it won't stabilize enough and it will keyhole. 55 grain .223 is good to go on all of the barrels.

Yes I have a Colt & S&W AR-15 and a SIG 566, all are 556 barrels with twist rates of 1:7, 1:9, and 1:7 respectively. Because I have the choice of either I was asking if there would be a better one in terms of casual range shooting. I have been using pretty much whatever I can get these days anyway...

Back
Top Bottom