• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another 1911 Recommandation Post

iofneedle

NES Member
So, I like to get my first .45ACP 1911. I can spend around $800. I don't want to get one and then wish that I spent $100 more for a different model. I understand once I get one it will probably multiply...just trying to delay that process. So what's a good middle of the road 1911?

Thanks!

I like the Remington for about 600 or the Sig TTT for about 8-900.
people bitch about the Remingtons but I have had no issues at all with mine. I have a Ruger also which has run very well.

I will say I like the way the TTT looks...

If you are going to go with a SIG, I would go with one of their "Traditional" models. The TTT (and other 1911s than Traditional) have a unique slide cut to make them look more like the SIG P-Series. As a result, they won't fit some Kydex holsters.

SIG uses a Series-80 style action, which means it has a firing pin block, and is drop safe. The downside is that it is a bit harder for a gunsmith to give you a very nice trigger job than on a Series-70 style action which does not have a firing pin block.

The Remington R1 is also a Series 80 style gun.

The Ruger SR1911 is a Series 70 style action. It does not have a firing pin block. It is more likely to discharge if dropped. Note that the safety won't prevent a discharge if dropped, as the safety does not prevent the firing pin from moving.

I have Series 70 and 80 style 1911s. I'm not particularly worried about them discharging if dropped, mainly because I avoid dropping loaded guns. But it is an issue that you should be aware of.

^^this all day. The traditional models which would be a pain to get in Mass are the ones I would want. There's a nice 9mm traditional profile. In Mass though the Ruger to me is the best value. I have seen people get very frustrated with a Remington. They might be great, but I know a guy that was using his for USPSA and he and Remington could not get it to run right. He got rid of it.

I've owned two Remington R1's, the standard model and the enhanced. They are both very solid, well built guns. The standard model is on par with the SR1911 in terms of quality, without some of the modern features (beaver tail, Novak-Cut sights). The R1 Enhanced is a huge value vs. dollar and is a step up on the Ruger IMO.

By all means i'm not discounting the Ruger, I've handled and shot a couple of them and they are really nice.

For the money, you can't beat either make, and I think they are both outstanding pistols for under $700.

One thing to consider is the mods you want. Make a list and take a close look at guns the come standard with them. It will be a lot more expensive to have these options after you purchase the gun.

Used springer

I have a used Springfield. It is actually my second worst 1911. Like many of the lower end Springfields, it came with a cheap two-piece barrel that was a POS. That had to be replaced with a new, quality barrel in order to get any decent accuracy. Mine also came with a badly fit safety. Springfields have a blockier profile to front strap of the grip, giving them a slightly larger grip circumference. Kimbers and Wilsons have a more rounded front strap profile that I find to be more comfortable.

A friend of mine bought a new base level Springfield back before the AGs restrictions became active. He sent it to the Springfield custom shop for a bunch of appearance work. They did a very pretty carry melt job on the gun, knocking off all the corners. The problem was that the barrel fit was horrible. When the gun was in battery, I pressed down on the barrel hood and there was noticeable movement. I shot his full size Springfield (5" barrel) side by side with my Kimber Compact (4" barrel), and the Kimber was noticeably more accurate. His Springfield never should have left the factory like that in the first place. And their custom shop should have seen the problem when they had the gun and fixed it.

I know that my sample size of Springfields is small, but 2 misses out of 2 guns does not inspire confidence.

Never had a problem with my S&W, I'd recommend one. You can always wait around for a Colt to show up for sale.

Ruger SR1911. I've had mine for for 2+ years and it had performed flawlessly

I've had the Ruger SR1911 for a year and a half now, I'm not crazy about the stainless, so I'm considering stepping up to the Night Watchman version. It's mostly black, with some TALO touches (grips, trijicon night sights, ...). Can be had for about $100 over the regular SR1911, so about $750 or so.

pix120578998.jpg

I've had the Ruger SR1911 for a year and a half now, I'm not crazy about the stainless, so I'm considering stepping up to the Night Watchman version. It's mostly black, with some TALO touches (grips, trijicon night sights, ...). Can be had for about $100 over the regular SR1911, so about $750 or so.

pix120578998.jpg

I was looking into the night watchman myself but where would I be able to get one ?

I will say I like the way the TTT looks...

I have a Sig TTT. Couldnt be happier w it. Excellent build quality. Front strap checking is perfect. Seriously it is worth the extra $$ over a remington or ruger. The stock wood grips loo ridiculious but easily swapped over to some magpuls or whatever you like. Also sig 1911's hold value.

The TTT comes w night sights, adjustable rear sight and front strap checking, which easily makes up for the $200 higher cost.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are going to go with a SIG, I would go with one of their "Traditional" models. The TTT (and other 1911s than Traditional) have a unique slide cut to make them look more like the SIG P-Series. As a result, they won't fit some Kydex holsters.

SIG uses a Series-80 style action, which means it has a firing pin block, and is drop safe. The downside is that it is a bit harder for a gunsmith to give you a very nice trigger job than on a Series-70 style action which does not have a firing pin block.

The Remington R1 is also a Series 80 style gun.

The Ruger SR1911 is a Series 70 style action. It does not have a firing pin block. It is more likely to discharge if dropped. Note that the safety won't prevent a discharge if dropped, as the safety does not prevent the firing pin from moving.

I have Series 70 and 80 style 1911s. I'm not particularly worried about them discharging if dropped, mainly because I avoid dropping loaded guns. But it is an issue that you should be aware of.

True but the stock sig triggers are pretty nice. If I cant connect w the sig 1911 its because of my booger hook not the firing pin safety.

I have the Ruger SR1911, SR1911NW (Night Watchman), and just got the SR1911CMD (Commander), and a Remington R1 (Standard).

I hate the R1 due to the lack of the beavertail and my fatty hands getting hammered (literally). The SR1911 is a great trigger and very reliable firearm. Haven't shot the other two but they feel as good as the Full size when dry fired.

Back
Top Bottom