• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another “renewal letter” town (Cohasset, MA)

Mass-diver

NES Member
Just heard from my dad that Cobasset is now asking (as part of a HUGE packet) for a letter explaining why you way to carry concealed - “all lawful purposes” and a “general fear” are not acceptable. This is required for renewals.

My dad, who is in 70s, has had a carry permit in the town for around 30years. He has no idea what to write and is concerned they will add a restriction.

It’s so disappointing to see towns going this direction. It’s amazing that the local CLEO sole discretion remains the law of the land.

"Dear XXXX,

I am writing in response to your requirement to submit a letter pursuant the issuance of a LTC for All Lawful Purposes. I have possessed a LTC for All Lawfull Purposes within XXXX for XXXX years issued by you many predecessors. I submit that lengthy history as evidence of my qualification and good character for renewal.

Signed,

XXXXXX"

The in writing part from the CoP is only if you contest the restriction in court. Previously they didn't have to give a reason, now they have to submit in writing for review by a nominally rubber stamp judge. There was one judge in Suffolk County that did overrule a restricted/revoked license by the Boston Police when a shop owner that had been robbed 3 times was issued a restricted license, complained they had a demonstrated need and had their license revoked for complaining by the licensing officer. Judge reinstated the license and removed the restrictions.

I've had a non-resident one for years. The first few years (besides being "only" $20/year) were fine with "All lawful purposes". After a new director came in, we had to start with some detailed explanation.

I went over tonight and looked at the packet - it’s huge.
Among the things that caught my eye (although it won’t apply to my father), is that out-of-town renewals have to show proof of a safety course. So, you could have a permit for 10 years, move to cohasset, and have to take the course again if you couldn’t find your class cert. Unbelievable.

Also looks like for all out-of-town renewals they require actual letters of references (not just names), I thought towns had done away with this? Guess not.

Furthermore, Out-town-renewals need some some sort of a letter from the chief in the old town. That’s a new one on me!

Lastly, it did seem clear as my dad has said, that they do want a letter regarding concealed carry from my father even though he has only had a permit in Cohasset and it has always been to carry.

Dear police chief:

Why do I want an unrestricted license? Because after x years of possessing a LTC in your town, using my firearm for all lawful purposes, and never having had an infraction any restriction added to my license by your whim at this point is nothing but arbitrary and capricious nonesense.

Sincerely,
Drix

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom