• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anothe Ruger MKiii 22/45 reassembly thread

Having trouble with a new-to-me mkiii 22/45 reassembly after cleaning. I got the gun reassembled but when I go to function check, the bolt release does not catch the bolt unless I push it up and tap the bolt forward to catch. The bolt catches back without the bolt release button engaged.

I've reviewed a bunch of the assembly videos and directions and can't find where I am going wrong.

Anyone else have this issue?

It took me sometime to figure out the MKIII.
Certain positions, proper hand holding gun at right angles and what I call the magazine dance is a PITA at first.

Is there an empty mag in it. The bolt catch wont work without an empty mag to push it up.
Bolt is catching something with no empty mag in it. A little nudge forward and the bolt releases.

The bolt also catches resistance when pulling it back about half way...

Cant figure it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

your mainspring is not in correctly. remove your mainspring. make sure the hammer strut is hanging down when you re-install the mainspring. it needs to lineup perfectly. holding the pistol with muzzle up can help get the strut to fall back. this is a common issue.

Bolt is catching something with no empty mag in it. A little nudge forward and the bolt releases.

The bolt also catches resistance when pulling it back about half way...

Cant figure it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Was it doing this before you took it apart? Did you have to force anything when taking it apart or putting it back together.
Sounds like the bolt catch may be binding.
How much did you take apart, does the safety work normally

Having trouble with a new-to-me mkiii 22/45 reassembly after cleaning. I got the gun reassembled but when I go to function check, the bolt release does not catch the bolt unless I push it up and tap the bolt forward to catch. The bolt catches back without the bolt release button engaged.

I've reviewed a bunch of the assembly videos and directions and can't find where I am going wrong.

Anyone else have this issue?

Watch the Ruger factory videos posted on their web site. They are very good

Can you rack the bolt and pull the trigger, does it feel and sound normal. if so then you have the main spring in correctly. If not that could be your issue. Was there a little spring resistance the last 1/4 inch or so when you were closing the main spring up. If you didnt get this right the bolt could be dragging on the hammer.

Unlatch the mainspring with a mag in the pistol pull the trigger to allow the hammer to move freely,now tilt the pistol at a 30 to 45 degree angle and pop the mainspring in you should be able to catch the hammer strut everytime. I've used this trick forever in reassembling my various MK II and III pistols and it works every time.

Back
Top Bottom