ANNOUNCING: May 21st, 2011 - Third Annual Bullet Casting Workshop

Would you attend, and can you help with mini workshops?

• No, I can't attend.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'd like to start organizing the next Cast Bullet Workshop.

1) I hope that the folks at Shirley Rod and Gun Club will have us back again.
2) I'm hoping that Bob and Mark can assist me with setting up the plans, and running the workshop.
3) I'd like to suggest some changes for 2011.....
4) We run this event as a series of concurrently running mini-workshops.
  • Basic Smelting - Converting raw materials to purified ingots
  • Mold preparation, mold selection, and do's and don'ts
  • Bullet casting
  • Bullet sizing and lube techniques
  • Swaging bullets
  • Lead Alloys - why and when?
  • How to avoid leading issues.
5) Spring time seems to be a good time to do it.....

Bob, do you and Mark have Skype? Maybe we can do all the planning via on-line meetings this time.

The mini workshops would have to be each run by someone who is knowledgeable in the respective area of discussion.

Attendees would be able to wander around, and participate in any of the mini workshops at will, at any time during the event. That way, the people who are more advanced can spend quality time doing new things. And, people who are pure beginners can start from the beginning. We can fit more information in during the day this way, and everyone should come away even happier.

The bringing of raw materials last year was a great idea, and I think that we should continue this to the next event.

We need to plan a food budget, and collect $$$ from those who attend and eat. Last year was nearly a fiasco.

Last edited:
depending on date, I`d would come, help out with food for some of it. But I would also like to be a student for part of the day.

Thanks. The trick to the food is knowing WHEN it has to get started..... We need to come up with a good plan for paying for the food, deciding on the menu, etc.

It's far enough out that we should all be able to work around the date.

I'm suggesting May 21st as the date for the 2011 Workshop.

Hope that's OK with most people.

I think I'll have to wait until the club sets its 2011 calendar to see if there's any conflict on that date with something out of our control (Bay State Archers or something like that).

I would like to attend and learn. I have never attended something like this without a nominal fee to cover the costs of the food budget, materials, program incidentals and the like.

If a needed supplies list is posted, I would be happy to lend the program what I can offer.

Last edited:
New info? No. Is it still ON? YES!

We'll start firming up the schedule, details, etc sometime around February.

First off, E/C will have to get his club to invite us back on that date.

We need to organize the food a bit better than we did last time. As much as I'd like this to go free for everyone, the reality is that food costs $$$, and we will all be eating. So, we'll need to set up some kind of fee for food.

The bringing of raw lead (range lead or wheel weights) from last year went reasonably well. It was used for the ingot making portion of the event. The folks who bring raw lead get to take home ingots/bullets somewhat equal to what they brought. Some folks brought extra, and I hope that no one got "shorted".

There will be a goodly supply of molds on hand, which we need to coordinate (Bob_J has more than I do!.... I have mold envy.... But, I'm working on catching up)...

So, everyone will have a chance to make bullets, and take some home.

I'd say for now, while we are waiting for the warmer weather to arrive, work on getting your raw lead for the event.

Details will finalize in February or so.

I'd like to make it to this... I don't know how my schedule looks that far out yet, but if it all works I'm down with bringing some food to help out.

We are likely to be doing the food thing a bit different this year. Michael J Spangler has offered to manage the food, and I am sure we will be hearing from him later on. He works for a BIG food distributor, and can get us food for CHEAP. So, some small cash amount will likely be collected for food this year.

We'll need someone local to bring a gas grill, or if the club has one that we could use, all the better.

I'm interested and want to go but my darling wife just informed, literally, that she will be in New Orleans on that date, can you reschedule it just around my needs?!

Well, if SHE will be away, then you don't need a note. Just attend on the appointed date. See you there.... Hope your wife has a nice trip. Tell her to send you a post card.

I'm interested and want to go but my darling wife just informed, literally, that she will be in New Orleans on that date, can you reschedule it just around my needs?!

Back
Top Bottom