• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Announcing 2009 New England Regional IDPA Championship

Man- what a freaking hot few days. My debut in SSP MA was certainly not stellar... but I must say I had a blast meeting new people, SOing with some of the best guys, and just having a good time seeing myself implode... it was painful for me to think of the suitecase stage again... trying to get the first 6 shots from retention and not understanding why targets 5 feet away were so damn hard! Then earning 2 PEs on the same stage... that about did me in! That and a FTN on my first target of the day.. on MY stage!!

MWT and all the clubs/people that helped are truly awesome. Damn good people...

Ah... need... scores.................[smile]

Hanwei,

You and De took 1-2 in SSP sharpshooter (I don't remember which order you were in). I think there were enough for you both to get the bump... but don't quote me on that.
Congrats

I also wanted to thank all the shooters and staff for one hell of a match. Especially my fellow Pit 8 SO's, Lugnut, Mike-Mike, Negotiator, Glocky (right s/n Pat???), and Mark.
I can't wait for the next one.

Steve

it was painful for me to think of the suitecase stage again... trying to get the first 6 shots from retention and not understanding why targets 5 feet away were so damn hard! Then earning 2 PEs on the same stage.

I had a double feed from retention on the first shot! I must have disturbed the slide with my vest. I looked at it for a few seconds, then was able to put down the briefcase, deal with it, and pick up brief case and keep going. Time sucked and so did the points down. One of the SO's tried to ding me for leaving ammo behind but the other one corrected him.

I've got to get one of those cameras. Anyone know what brand/model she was using?

I'm using the Samsung SC-X300L Sports camcorder. These are discontinued but you can find used ones all over the Internet for less than 200 bucks. I bought it refurbished at Ebay for 200 bucks shipped. Unfortunately the good dealer that I bought it from looks like he ran out for now (adventureeyevideossystems). There are tons of other video hat cams out there, but I've found that this one is the simplest to transfer over to my computer, pretty good quality, cheap, and very very light on my head.

In my older videos I literally put a Canon Powershot on top of my head (that gave me headaches hours after shooting) and also the EPIC hat cam (the worse hat cam and a waste of money).

I'm using the Samsung SC-X300L Sports camcorder. These are discontinued but you can find used ones all over the Internet for less than 200 bucks. I bought it refurbished at Ebay for 200 bucks shipped. Unfortunately the good dealer that I bought it from looks like he ran out for now (adventureeyevideossystems). There are tons of other video hat cams out there, but I've found that this one is the simplest to transfer over to my computer, pretty good quality, cheap, and very very light on my head.

How do you sync the two video streams? Is there a timing signal between the two video sources or do you have to do it manually?

How do you sync the two video streams? Is there a timing signal between the two video sources or do you have to do it manually?

I have to do it manually using Adobe Premiere Elements...

I made a "how to" a couple of months ago...

How to make picture and picture

I've found that if I make it consistent for start/stop (right on the beep), it takes me no time at all to make these videos. It takes me about 5 minutes to make them and about an hour and a half to upload onto YouTube (slow Internet speeds).

In my older videos I literally put a Canon Powershot on top of my head (that gave me headaches hours after shooting) and also the EPIC hat cam (the worse hat cam and a waste of money).

Thanks Diana!

2009 New England Regional Championship Results

Competitors, here are the 2009 New England Regional Preliminary results.

http://www.metrowesttactical.com/2009-08-15results.pdf

You have 48 hours to correct discrepancies.
Send all corrections to: Mike Critser/match Chief Stats Officer:

[email protected]

Congratulations to all division/class winners and match promoted shooters.
Match Awards will be sent out as per IDPA rules.
Gene/MD

Last edited:
I'm using the Samsung SC-X300L Sports camcorder.

Do you happen to know what the maximum size card these support? My google fu is not strong this evening. I think it's at least 4GB. There are a few on eBay and I may just buy one. I'd like to get the largest (single) SDHC card for it so I don't have to swap it out. Thanks.

On a related topic I tried to convince my step-son (just turned 13) this evening to "caddy" for my wife and I at the next IDPA club match. I said you can photo/video tape us, load our mags, carry our bags. He said "how much?" I said $20, he said "too low, I'll pass". These kids these days don't know the value of the $ [rofl]

Mike, why don't you convince him to shoot? Then you can pay $20 for the match fee and have to load ammo for *three* shooters.

Do you happen to know what the maximum size card these support? My google fu is not strong this evening. I think it's at least 4GB. There are a few on eBay and I may just buy one. I'd like to get the largest (single) SDHC card for it so I don't have to swap it out. Thanks.

On a related topic I tried to convince my step-son (just turned 13) this evening to "caddy" for my wife and I at the next IDPA club match. I said you can photo/video tape us, load our mags, carry our bags. He said "how much?" I said $20, he said "too low, I'll pass". These kids these days don't know the value of the $ [rofl]

Hmmm...at 20 bucks you might have to negotiate with him...maybe take out the loading mags or carrying bags...:) Is this 20 bucks per match though? Shoot if I was 13 I would jump at the chance...that's a lot of dough!

Just FYI, I've used my hat cam in very large matches both IDPA and USPSA with an average stage count from 12-16 stages. I have NEVER needed to resort to the extra memory card slot...I use all internal memory. This camcorder has been used in practically torrential downpour weather (Double Tap Championships), humid weather, sleet/snow weather, etc. I've dropped both the hat cam and the camcorder on the ground multiple times...I am pretty clumsy, but it still works like a champ. The only thing that happens when you do not protect it from the rain, and at least periodically dry it off with a towel, is that you'll have a temporary muffled sound for one or two stages. But if you at least try to keep it dry, it works very well.

Nevertheless, I think I have a 4GB Ultra Extreme III SD card in there. Like I said though, I never use it. Since I always recharge the battery and completely clear any data after every match, it's always good to go by the next match. It comes with a power adapter, but I never use it, I prefer to simply keep it connected to the computer to recharge by itself.

Well...just checked Ebay and it looks like the seller has one to sell. Yes, it's refurbished but he's a good guy, 100% positive feedback. Ten bucks less when I bought it too!

Samsung SC-X300L Ebay Item

One thing that you have to remember with this camcorder is that you have to make sure to stop recording and turn off the camcorder after each stage...that's how it lasts so long through matches. There have been times where I recorded the first stage and left it recording for 20 or so minutes...what a waste of hard drive space! [sad]

Diana

Mike, why don't you convince him to shoot? Then you can pay $20 for the match fee and have to load ammo for *three* shooters.

I try not to push him. I bought two 10/22's last year with the hope that we could do and Appleseed together. He's got the attention span of, well a 12-13 year old, which isn't much. I don't think he's up for a typical Saturday Appleseed. He might be good for a mini. He knows that all he has to do is ask to go to the range. Last year he was more interested in fishing while I was shooting (which is fine). When he did come along to the range he'd shoot 3 or 4 mags out of the 10/22 and say "I'm done you shoot some".

The good news is that he just got back from 5 weeks in Atlanta @ his fathers and he said he wanted to go to the range!

Hmmm...at 20 bucks you might have to negotiate with him...maybe take out the loading mags or carrying bags...:) Is this 20 bucks per match though? Shoot if I was 13 I would jump at the chance...that's a lot of dough!

Yeah, I was talking about a club match too, not an all day event like NER! I was just trying to give him an excuse to tag along so my wife won't feel bad about leaving him home alone during the club matches. She's shot a couple of club matches and has had a lot of fun. I'd like to see her continue to shoot regularly.

Just FYI, I've used my hat cam in very large matches both IDPA and USPSA with an average stage count from 12-16 stages. I have NEVER needed to resort to the extra memory card slot...I use all internal memory...

Thanks for the info Diana. Since SD memory is so cheap I figured I'd just buy the biggest card that is supported. I've played with multiple smaller cards for some digital camera's in the past and it was a PITA to switch them out. I've also bought a larger card than was supported for some devices only to find that they aren't recognized and don't work at all. [frown]

Back
Top Bottom