Annodizing

Anyone on here do anodizing? I am going to be doing a 1911 build and think I'd like to get the frame anodized (80%)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've done some back yard anodizing. It's not hard, just an involved processes.

I assume you'd be looking for a Type 3 hard ano? That's a little tougher to do yourself.

I can recommend some people but I'm not sure how many have an FFL

None that I've done business with - one used to be, but has moved to Alaska. The guy who does most of my fancier work is in Oregon which might cause logistical problems for a pistol frame. There's a place in Marlborough that used to do small batches but you're still probably looking at $150+.

Yeah - for a one-off item, you're looking at $$$ to get it done at a professional shop. If you do go that route, you might want to get it done before you finish the frame - then no FFL requirement. Although shop owners might not touch it even if "80%", because it looks like a gun.

For home-anodizing, try asking 'goldiggie' here on the forum. I think he's done a bit of that.

There is a guy in Worcester called black oxide that is an ffl and does all kinds of coatings. his work is supposed to be top notch, I have never had a need top use him

Is the frame aluminum?? You cannot anodize steel...

BTW, I've done home anodizing in the past. IME, Cerakote is MUCH better. Unless you're going to spend the $$ and get it type 3 anodized by a pro. Which will probably cause difficulties if the frame is completed.

I think a black oxide finish on a polished stainless 1911 would look really sharp, especially applied properly and with mother of pearl grips.

I think a black oxide finish on a polished stainless 1911 would look really sharp, especially applied properly and with mother of pearl grips.

IME with black oxide coatings (on items) it doesn't offer much in true rust resistance. There are better options out there that could be used. Provided the owner doesn't want to go cheap cheap cheap (get what you pay for). I think a good blueing job, or case hardened finish would look wicked pissah (satin finish the slide). [smile]

a little off topic from OP but along the same lines,

recently got a stainless steel barrel. its 5iches in 9mm. i don't like the look of the ss under the rail, I read above you can't anodize steel, so is there something else i could do to darken the barrel. not looking to break the bank, its the last thing that irks me about the build… I was upgraded to a ss barrel when i ordered a nitrided one, go figure. but thats another story

a little off topic from OP but along the same lines,

recently got a stainless steel barrel. its 5iches in 9mm. i don't like the look of the ss under the rail, I read above you can't anodize steel, so is there something else i could do to darken the barrel. not looking to break the bank, its the last thing that irks me about the build… I was upgraded to a ss barrel when i ordered a nitrided one, go figure. but thats another story
It's stainless. Scuff that $hit and give it the krylon touch. $6 fix, bank not broke [smile]

Back
Top Bottom