Animal related job leads?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of any openings in RI or MA for animal related jobs with benefits? I am employed, but making less than $10,000 a year with no benefits. My health insurance was under my father, but it ran out in November because I turned 26, so I had to apply for individual health insurance and it's costing me an arm and a leg. I'm trying to use every and any avenue I have to try and find something better. Just thought maybe someone knew of something, or had some connections, or anything to help. Worth a shot.

I am 3 credits away from a bachelor's degree in Animal Management (which I'm discovering is an expensive worthless piece of paper), experience in dog rescue, ferret rescue, worked in pet stores, kennels, dog shelters, doggie daycares, dog walking and pet sitting (doing currently), did an internship at a wolf refuge in Colorado. Basically every job I've ever had has been in the animal field.

Dream job is a zookeeper, but that's a hard gig to find. Trying to find ANYTHING right now that can get me through until I can land my dream job. Anyone have any ideas? Can't hurt to try, right?

We live in Warwick, RI, willing to drive a bit for a good job.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
zookeepers don't make much, unless you go to really big zoos, even then it's a pretty low paying gig. Mass is #1 (or close to it) in certain animal researches, like primates, but I guess that's not the job you want. Otherwise some sort of trainer ... who knows. You should network with local zoos, see if they take some internships for summer months. There are a bunch of zoos in MA and they know each other really well, so best of luck!

Metalhead

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Good luck (sincerely). I am friends with the guy that used to be the head zookeeper for Roger Williams Zoo. They laid him off and he has been looking for over a year. Might not be the ideal situation but what about looking for a farm where you can trade labor for board? That might be a short term solution to save you some $$.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zookeepers don't make much, unless you go to really big zoos, even then it's a pretty low paying gig. Mass is #1 (or close to it) in certain animal researches, like primates, but I guess that's not the job you want. Otherwise some sort of trainer ... who knows. You should network with local zoos, see if they take some internships for summer months. There are a bunch of zoos in MA and they know each other really well, so best of luck!
See, ideas like that are what I need. Thanks!

George D

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Scroll down to the middle of the page where it says:

Click here to apply for employment online now!

To inquire about Animal Care Employment Opportunities at Southwick’s Zoo, please call 800-258-9182 ext. 500 or click here to apply online now and upload your resume (last field on form).

To inquire about internships, docent, and education employment with Earth Ltd., please call 800-258-9182 ext. 209 or click here to apply online now.

http://www.southwickszoo.com/contact-us/join-the-team/employment/

md2020

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Try these places: New England Primate Center in Southborough (MA), Tufts University (Grafton - large animals & wildlife rehab, Boston - lab animal research of small animals), MA Audubon offices, Drumlin Farm in Lincoln (MA), animal shelters, veterinarian offices and .......

Try doing some volunteer work at some place you like and if they like you, you could catch a break and get hired or make connections. [wink]

Good luck.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scroll down to the middle of the page where it says:

Click here to apply for employment online now!

To inquire about Animal Care Employment Opportunities at Southwick’s Zoo, please call 800-258-9182 ext. 500 or click here to apply online now and upload your resume (last field on form).

To inquire about internships, docent, and education employment with Earth Ltd., please call 800-258-9182 ext. 209 or click here to apply online now.

http://www.southwickszoo.com/contact-us/join-the-team/employment/
Have an app in with them already, did it last week. Thanks!!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try these places: New England Primate Center in Southborough (MA), Tufts University (Grafton - large animals & wildlife rehab, Boston - lab animal research of small animals), MA Audubon offices, Drumlin Farm in Lincoln (MA), animal shelters, veterinarian offices and .......

Try doing some volunteer work at some place you like and if they like you, you could catch a break and get hired or make connections. [wink]

Good luck.
Also forgot to mention, I just put in an app to volunteer at Mystic, have an interview on the 26th, hoping that that will up my resume

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Have you considered the military?

A buddy of mine had an ideal job working with animals for the Navy. He was doing work on training dolphins for military purposes. He worked with other animals as well.

Thing is, his father was a very, very famous guy so I imagine he had his choice of gigs. The guy is now a software geek and long out of that line of work. But he's told many stories about that line of work and loved it.

A friend of my son joined the Air Force and is learning to work with and train security dogs.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the military?

A buddy of mine had an ideal job working with animals for the Navy. He was doing work on training dolphins for military purposes. He worked with other animals as well.

Thing is, his father was a very, very famous guy so I imagine he had his choice of gigs. The guy is now a software geek and long out of that line of work. But he's told many stories about that line of work and loved it.

A friend of my son joined the Air Force and is learning to work with and train security dogs.
I have, because the military would have paid for school, too. Medical issues, military says nay nay.

Hiltonizer

Banned
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Charles River labs is usually hiring. http://jobs.criver.com/

You can check some of the larger biotech/pharma/research universities too. Most have solid training programs and open up connections in the animal sciences world.
[rofl] somehow I get the sense Co2 chambering isn't what is desired... not that there's anything wrong with it... my company uses charles river and they're one of the best (OP, they have a HUUUUUUUUGE outfit in Rockland ME if you don't mind being in the the medical research use of animals and willing to relocate a bit).

As JM said, many of the local biotechs (massbio) have openings for animal facilities techs, they pay well, stock options, bennies and so forth... but you might need to look into the reqs and go to a specialized class (nothing major or expensive i dont think)

My sister ended up in your dream job just because she loved working with animals... took a major pay cut just to do it... now she pretty much runs the non business side of a doggy daycare/kennel and does surprisingly well (feeds and plays with dogs, applies basic meds... they provided vet assistant training). It didn't start that way of course, was a foot in the door kind of thing. My advice would be to consider a lateral move if it means more upside down the road.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if you live in a place that this would work geographically (you're probably only about 20 minutes from Providence, right?) but you could always try a dog walking service. A lot of these services also offer playgroups for dogs and extended walks/hikes, etc. You could also do animal 'sitting'... feeding peoples' cats and lower maintenance pets when they're on vacation. A friend's sister did this in the Newton/Watertown area and she's been pretty successful. Here's her web site:

http://www.wickedhappydogs.com/

This gives you an idea of services, pricing, etc. Also, I think having a good, professional looking website definitely helps.

Also, here are some reviews to give you an idea of what her customers like and appreciate:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/wicked-happy-dogs-newton

-Bill

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you live in a place that this would work geographically (you're probably only about 20 minutes from Providence, right?) but you could always try a dog walking service. A lot of these services also offer playgroups for dogs and extended walks/hikes, etc. You could also do animal 'sitting'... feeding peoples' cats and lower maintenance pets when they're on vacation. A friend's sister did this in the Newton/Watertown area and she's been pretty successful. Here's her web site:

http://www.wickedhappydogs.com/

This gives you an idea of services, pricing, etc. Also, I think having a good, professional looking website definitely helps.

Also, here are some reviews to give you an idea of what her customers like and appreciate:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/wicked-happy-dogs-newton

-Bill
I'm working for a dog walking/pet sitting company now, been with the company for 7 years. [smile]

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, it's an option. [wink] There are plenty of jobs working w/ colony animals or the breeding facilities where you're not sac'ing animals all day.

There are tough jobs anywhere animals are used. If you work at a reputable place, you'll learn how to properly treat animals. They also tend to encourage additional training and education so you can progress in the industry. Plus you get the chance to work w/ monkeys!

Good point about certifcations. Look into AAALAC. It's a useful credential.

[rofl] somehow I get the sense Co2 chambering isn't what is desired... not that there's anything wrong with it... my company uses charles river and they're one of the best (OP, they have a HUUUUUUUUGE outfit in Rockland ME if you don't mind being in the the medical research use of animals and willing to relocate a bit).

As JM said, many of the local biotechs (massbio) have openings for animal facilities techs, they pay well, stock options, bennies and so forth... but you might need to look into the reqs and go to a specialized class (nothing major or expensive i dont think)

My sister ended up in your dream job just because she loved working with animals... took a major pay cut just to do it... now she pretty much runs the non business side of a doggy daycare/kennel and does surprisingly well (feeds and plays with dogs, applies basic meds... they provided vet assistant training). It didn't start that way of course, was a foot in the door kind of thing. My advice would be to consider a lateral move if it means more upside down the road.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Go to the caribean and work at a coral/clam farm. You get to swim all day, cut little pieces off of corals off, glue them to a plug and plant them somewhere else in the ocean, then they grow out to colonies, you frag them again and ship the frags to AMERICA, or Japan or Europe. In clam farms they do pretty much the same, except they also get clams to reproduce.

So, you get to live in a tropical place, swim in the reef a lot, and help the reefs. There are some big coral farms in the US as well, like Live Aquaria, and a little smaller pacific east aquaculture. Those guys farm the farmed corals.

Then you can get a job at an aquarium. Way better than cleaning Lion poop.

if not, go back to school and become a vet. You already took all the BS classes like history, English 101...

Last edited:
Top Bottom