Angled Foregrip Legal in CT?

I would never personally convert an SKS to mags. If I wanted an AK, I'd just go buy one. That's why I don't live in CT anymore.

I was simply interested in the legal implications of doing so. I left CT nearly 3 years ago (immediately after they passed the new AWB) and I have had no reason to explore the nuances of how the new AWB interacts with the old one.

Now if I was a dealer in CT, I'd be converting SKSs all day long and selling them.

I understand the desire to analyze things from all angles.

But make sure that you remember that the term Assault Weapon is legal term in this usage, not a descriptive term. The legal term is described in the law. If your rifle doesn't meet that description. Then its not an AW and is not bound by any of the constraints of the law.

This is why I am constantly telling people that there is no prohibition on the sale of AR style receivers in CT.

An AR receiver, just like a Glock or Remington 1100 shotgun receiver can be built into a compliant firearm or an illegal AW. Its up to the buyer and how they build it.

I would never personally convert an SKS to mags. If I wanted an AK, I'd just go buy one. That's why I don't live in CT anymore.

I was simply interested in the legal implications of doing so. I left CT nearly 3 years ago (immediately after they passed the new AWB) and I have had no reason to explore the nuances of how the new AWB interacts with the old one.

Now if I was a dealer in CT, I'd be converting SKSs all day long and selling them.

Don't forget, it would have to be a pre-ban SKS. Otherwise, once you add a detachable mag, it becomes an AW. ;-)

Don

p.s. The only AK I own is also CT legal, although I didn't plan it that way. Its a Norinco 84S. A pre-ban Chinese AK in .223. Lots of fun. Well made, and it uses ammo that I buy or make by the bucket. Totally legal because its preban, and because of the CT case law that defined an "Avtomat Kalashikov TYPE " to only include those firearms with interchangeable bolts from the original AKM. Which an AK in a different caliber does not have.

Don't forget, it would have to be a pre-ban SKS. Otherwise, once you add a detachable mag, it becomes an AW. ;-)

Don

p.s. The only AK I own is also CT legal, although I didn't plan it that way. Its a Norinco 84S. A pre-ban Chinese AK in .223. Lots of fun. Well made, and it uses ammo that I buy or make by the bucket. Totally legal because its preban, and because of the CT case law that defined an "Avtomat Kalashikov TYPE " to only include those firearms with interchangeable bolts from the original AKM. Which an AK in a different caliber does not have.

I never new they made a sks in 223 .
I knew about the factory ones from China that use ak mags .

I never new they made a sks in 223 .
I knew about the factory ones from China that use ak mags .

I was talking about an AK.

- - - Updated - - -

also the ak74 were missed in their first ban because they don't interchange bolts.

anything other than 7.62 x 39

but more importantly, this means that pre-ban Aks in anything other than 7.62x39 are still legal in CT. They are NOT AWs. If they were named, they would be AWs despite being pre-ban.

People in CT don't really seem to be grasping the importance of the pre-ban factor. Yes, they are more expensive. But its a huge deal.

In MA, pre-ban gets you a few extra toys.

In CT, pre-ban means it can be bought and sold freely since legally its a rifle.

Last edited:

I don't think that would work that well. It's a royal pain in the butt, it requires modifications to the receiver itself, not just opening up a mag well and changing a mag release. By the time a dealer took a SKS (which now sell for $400-ish just for decent used ones) and had the conversion done I just don't see a lot of profit there. Then they'd have to worry about liability if the gun failed to work properly or worse, malfunctioned and hurt somebody.

When SKS-Ms and Sporters go for $500-$600-ish and a SKS-Ds go for $700-$800 are you really going to pay $600+ for a converted SKS? Nope.

Pretty sure SKSs stopped being imported from China in 1994 but I'm not 100% positive. That would make them all pre-ban, if they are Chinese. There are some milsurp Chinese SKSs coming in from Albania the last few years because they are older, C&R guns. The reason they are allowed in is because they sat in Albania long enough so that they aren't considered Chinese imports, or some such thing.

There was also the SKS type 84 and MC5D that take AK mags but they are less common and more expensive and a little less reliable, really more SKS collectors guns. The Ms and Sporters are the most common of the AK mag SKS variants and the cheapest.

So I'm working through things in my head.

I think that an SKS even if converted to a detachable mag and even if it was post ban would be legal in CT.

There is no need to even consider post or pre ban.

Here's why. I'm looking for someone to challenge me. But if you do, please provide citations. Here is the law:
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/S/2013SB-01160-R00-SB.htm

search on "avtomat" and you will go right to the AW rifle definition.

1) the SKS is not named.
2) The SKS does not have any of the features. Remember with the new law even one "evil" feature makes it an AW. The features as copied and pasted from the statute are:

[(A)] (i) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least [two] one of the following: So yes, it would be a semi auto with detachable mag

[(i)] (I) A folding or telescoping stock;NO

[(ii) A] (II) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, [that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon] a thumbhole stock, or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;No - the SKS has a traditional stock

[(iii)] (III) A [bayonet mount] forward pistol grip; Easily removed

[(iv)] (IV) A flash suppressor; or [threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and] I don't know much about SKS but I believe most have a plain muzzle. If they don't, its easy enough to attach a brake

[(v)] (V) A grenade launcher or flare launcher; orNO

Thoughts?

So I'm working through things in my head.

I think that an SKS even if converted to a detachable mag and even if it was post ban would be legal in CT.

There is no need to even consider post or pre ban.

Here's why. I'm looking for someone to challenge me. But if you do, please provide citations. Here is the law:
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/S/2013SB-01160-R00-SB.htm

search on "avtomat" and you will go right to the AW rifle definition.

1) the SKS is not named.
2) The SKS does not have any of the features. Remember with the new law even one "evil" feature makes it an AW. The features as copied and pasted from the statute are:

[(A)] (i) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least [two] one of the following: So yes, it would be a semi auto with detachable mag

[(i)] (I) A folding or telescoping stock;NO

[(ii) A] (II) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, [that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon] a thumbhole stock, or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;No - the SKS has a traditional stock

[(iii)] (III) A [bayonet mount] forward pistol grip; Easily removed

[(iv)] (IV) A flash suppressor; or [threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and] I don't know much about SKS but I believe most have a plain muzzle. If they don't, its easy enough to attach a brake

[(v)] (V) A grenade launcher or flare launcher; orNO

Thoughts?

Don, you are correct, any unaltered milsurp sks is ok in CT since they do not accept detachable mags.

As for the ones that do accept AK mags from the factory they are ok too. They are not named, most come with a traditional wood stock with no pistol grips (in the butt stock or forward). Some came with a thumbhole stock which would be a no-no except I believe all of those came in before 1994 so they would be pre-ban anyway. They have no telescoping stocks, no threads on the end of the barrel and no flash suppressors.

The Yugos did come with grenade launchers but they are in the milsurp category and don't accept detachable mags. Now, once people start getting aftermarket detachable mags for the milsurps, putting aftermarket stocks with pistol grips and/or folding or telescopic butt stocks on them they run into problems with the CT AWB (and federal regulation 922r).

Since the AK-47 and AR-15 are out in CT (except for pre-bans - expensive), the SKS variants that take AK mags (SKS-D, M, Sporter, type 84, MC5D) are a great alternative. Sure, you can pay a lot more for a mini-30 that will not be as rugged or reliable and mags will cost 4 times as much but it may be more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom