Angle Tree Stone Rod & Gun Club

I'm a member of the Angle Tree Stone Rod & Gun Club in N. Attleboro. The club itself has good facilities (except for the indoor range, which is old and has no automated target retrievers so everyone has to stop shooting when someone needs to go downrange). My issue is that it seems that everytime I go to either use my .22 rifle or .22 and 9mm pistols, there seems to be some old time member there who stands over and looks at me like I'm doing something wrong. Just not a welcoming atmosphere. There are some really nice folks there as well (Pete (one of the pistol qualifiers) and Joe (membership) come to mind). But I'm over 50 yrs old, am ex-military who understands how to be safe with guns, and I follow the rules. No reason to watch over me like a teenager. Anyone else have this experience? Also, anyone have any experience with the Mansfield Club?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, what do you want to know about Mansfield? Check out the thread on MF&G and if you have any questions, one of us will try to help. Just be aware that MF&G is only an outdoors club for now (construction is underway on the indoor range, but it's a long way to completion due to $$ required to complete it).

Len

Is there outdoor pistol and rifle? If rifle, how long is the rifle range and what are the caliber limitations? Is there skeet or trap shooting?

I looked on the Mansfield web site but couldn't find these details. However, the indoor range looks huge. What are the plans for it and when will it be completed?

Thanks.

I live down the street from Angle Tree...and Joined Mansfield because I like the people there more when I was out looking at clubs.

Like Len said...let me know what you would like to know about Mansfield and I'll do what I can to help.

Len

Is there outdoor pistol and rifle? If rifle, how long is the rifle range and what are the caliber limitations? Is there skeet or trap shooting?

I looked on the Mansfield web site but couldn't find these details. However, the indoor range looks huge. What are the plans for it and when will it be completed?

Thanks.

Yes, outdoor pistol and rifle. No limits on calibers on the outdoor range. We have a 50 and 100 yard range. No Trap Fields...but when the 100 is empty...people do bring throwers and practice on their own.

We're working on building an indoor range...maybe another year or so as we're doing it in stages and as we get monies.

When I first went looking for a club about 12 years ago, I went into Angle Tree. An old timer was very happy to show me around the skeet facility. When I asked about pistol and rifle ranges, I was pretty much dismissed and told to go down back to look. Very unfriendly skeet snob. I eventually joined the Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club, even though I live in Plainville and have four clubs within five miles of my house.

Walpole Sportsman's Assoc. has trap and skeet, 5 stand, clays. On Thursday night there is steak and clays which is open to the public. Sunday AM is also open to public.

There is outdoor rifle/pistol -100yds., no indoor until a new building is built.

I looked at Angle Tree Stone when I was looking for a club to join. Their web site has a bulletin board (currently down for maintenance) that had a story posted by a new member who was reprimanded after he snapped-off a few quick shots on the rifle range. "This is an accuracy range" he was told.

They have no range rules posted on-line, which I suppose allows them to make them up as required to keep the young upstarts in line. I am also over 50 years old, and I don't feel the need to have someone standing over me to make sure I don't fire more than once per minute. There was also much sniping between club factions, many of the posts many years old. This indicated to me that they were not concerned about airing dirty laundry in public. I have no need for this kind of drama right out of the box.

I joined Mansfield Fish & Game after going to an NES Shoot there. I work in Foxboro, so it is convenient to stop in after work during the Summer months for a few hours. Nice people and good facilities. I was looking for 50 yard and 100 yard rifle ranges, and they have both with covered shooting positions. If skeet and trap are of interest to you, there are clubs in the area that specialize in that genre.

The Mansfield Fish and Game is a very small club that offers a 100 yard range (targets at 100 yards only), a 50 yard range (targets at any distance) and they are in the process of building an indoor 50 foot range, with the completion date and range rules to be determined.

Safety, like any gun club can be hit or miss . (Mansfield is a bit strange in that you can shoot the club house from the 50 yard range as it sits along the left side of that range)

The club has dues of about $100 a year, a onetime building tax of about $100 dollars and a likely Indoor Range use tax (which may be a yearly tax) of an undetermined amount.

Mansfield has Bulls-Eye shoots (club style, non-competitive I think) and small Black Powder shoots, as well as occasional non-competitive rifle shoots which are the “aim at the berm” and shoot the magazine dry type.

The range can get crowded on weekends, particularly when one of the basic firearms classes are being run, which is fairly often.
Although limited due to its small size, if you’re a plinker, a paper puncher, or a short range rifle shooter and live close by, then Mansfield Fish and Game is not a bad place to shoot.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I am also a Mansfield member (8 years) and like the club very much.. All the members that I know are good people and the range rules are not restrictive like some clubs' are. Another option, if you have the funds, is to belong to more than one club. I am a member at Hopkinton Sportsman's also (23 years) but have been going mostly to Mansfield simply because it is closer.

I think Hopkinton has a lot to offer including an indoor range available 24 hrs via a pass card. Check out their website http://www.hsasports.com/ and PM me if you would like a tour of the facilities. They are adding a 200 yard range area and pistol pits although I'm not sure of their completion date.

Thanks for all the responses. I just renewed at Angle Tree, but I will make a point to visit the Mansfield club in the near future to check it out. Maybe I'll belong to both for a while.

Happy New Year!

Has anyone been here recently? I was thinking of joining because the location is close to home, but from some of the comments not sure if it's the best choice.

Has anyone been here recently? I was thinking of joining because the location is close to home, but from some of the comments not sure if it's the best choice.

I still go. It's cheap and very close for me. The comments are as accurate as ever. Fortunately I don't often run into them. I would like to go visit Mansfield though.

Check out the Westfield Sportsmans Club. They only charge $60/year and have 100, 200, 300 ranges as well as an indoor/outdoor range, skeet/trap and a stocked pond to fish. I will say though that there is essentially no website but you won't be disappointed.

I've been a member of Angle Tree for about 5yrs now, good people and constantly trying to update/improve the facility. If its been a while, or you've never been, take a ride by and check it out, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I've been a member of Angle Tree for about 5yrs now, good people and constantly trying to update/improve the facility. If its been a while, or you've never been, take a ride by and check it out, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Signed up yesterday and both posts are for Angle Tree. Hmmm... not fishy at all [rolleyes]

Do they still have the fudd management and rules in place? There were some epic angle tree flame fest threads on here that I had to destroy/shut down because of it.

-Mike

Your absolutely right, nothing fishy at all, I've been an actively involved member over there and when I see negative posts about a club I enjoy shooting at I try to set the record straight. Sorry If I offended anyone here

Hey Mike, They still have no quick draw rules for pistol, but to my knowledge, nobody stands over your shoulder any more. There has also been some changes with the board of directors with getting some new faces / ideas in there

I did the pre-application orientation/tour on Sunday. My takeaways:

Pros
Available indoor range exists
Indoor archery setup for kids
Large outdoor ranges
Both skeet and trap setups
Nice piece of property
Closest "club" range to me.
Affordable family cost (initiation + member + spouse + kids cost)

Cons
Lots of rules, most very sensible when given the "why". Almost need a field notebook to keep track of what can be shot where, and when, and how.
Clubhouse is very small.
property could use lots of work
Got the impression that there were not many social activities

Also looking at Wrentham, Mansfield, Franklin, Walpole & Independent (Foxboro).

Back
Top Bottom