• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Angle Tree Rod & GC (N.Attleboro) - 5rnd Mag Limit (WTF?!?)

Hi Folks,
Checked out joining this GC b/c it's about 1min from my house in NA.
Attended their "Orientation" session...HUGE turnout BTW...30+ people there!

Anyway, as they prattled off their House Rules...one which drew some glances to one another in attendance was that they "Strictly Enforce a 5rnd limit/magazine"

One fella had the guts to ask "Why do you have that?"...to which the FUDD there replied "It's in the interest in safety, when you have only 5rnds it prevents anything from happening."

So I churped up "What if you own an M1 Garand that takes 8rnds/clip?" The FUDD replied "You would then have to petition the BOD's and obtain a waiver." I was like F-That!

In addition...even if you are a member, you can't take a guest to shoot on the indoor pistol range(!)

My question is...does that not seem a bit excessive? Do other gun clubs have ****ed up rules like that?

Needless to say I'm not joining anytime soon!

I agree. I am a member there only because of the convenience and the cost. I have asked range officers that same question and either they don't know or I get a different answer from each one. The last one I heard was that it was so if there are several people shooting it gives more opportunity to put the red light on and get their attention if someone needs to go down range. Honestly, many times I go I'm the only one there so it doesn't matter. The indoor range/guest rule I heard was because it's small and wanted to make sure members had the lanes. That's a lame excuse since you are responsible for your guest and can't shoot at the same time anyway so just use the same lane! I can take you as a guest some time :)

Some clubs have "strange" rules. Others don't. Shop around and find one that fits you. My club has no restrictions as to magazine capacity limits. In fact my club has very few rules concerning capacity or caliber. Running a slidefire *might* raise some eyebrows but I doubt that anyone would pitch a tizzy fit over it but it might end up being an agenda item to discuss if it would be wise to allow that type of fire at the rifle range only because we have encroaching neighbors now, some, of which are not that gun friendly.

ETA: don't like the current rules get on the BOD and work to change them.

Last edited:
I'll say it again,

Mag limits: because you can't kill ANYONE with an M1 Garand

Also: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, HAHA!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I also wonder how the local clubs (NA area) look upon AR's?
My platform has a MA compliant muzzle-brake and it will freaking bust your ****en eardrums if you don't have your plugs or muffs on!
My cousin christened it "The Punisher"

Well known fudd club, skip it and go to any other clubs nearby that are better. There are too many GOOD gun clubs in MA to settle for a crappy one. Just find their rules and read them before you even bother going, 9 out of 10 times that will tell you all you need to know.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: don't like the current rules get on the BOD and work to change them.[

Or join a non-crappy club and get on the BOD so you can keep it from becoming crappy. I think either position is an admirable one to take, as both are necessary, although keeping a club from going to shit is a lot easier than trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube at one that has already gone there.

-Mike

Nice looking place as I drive by. If you are considering somewhere else, take a look at Mansfield.

Mansfield Fish & Game Home Page

I am a member and would be happy to give a tour.

This, i live in NA and didn't even bother going to Angle tree for an orientation i heard nothing but bad things like this. no rapid fire either (kinda hard with 5 round mags) Somebody told me they want 5 counts between rounds. F that Mansfield is a little more of a ride but not bad and beats the hell out of AFS

Gonna take the plunge soon...cuz I like AFS in NA...the guys there are GREAT BTW!
But at $20 a throw...it's more cost/effective to join a club.

Gonna take the plunge soon...cuz I like AFS in NA...the guys there are GREAT BTW!
But at $20 a throw...it's more cost/effective to join a club.

thats what did me in, even if you go a lot and become a member at AFS the savings is minimal and you still hae to wait in line for upwards of an hour sometimes if you go after 6 or on the weekends.

I'm a member at AFS and never have to wait as long as you plan ahead. Members can reserve a lane so that you're not stuck waiting with all the one-timers who are there for bachelor parties or trying to impress their girlfriends.

I belong to Angle Tree and Taunton. You should pick a club based on what type of shooting you want to do. Angle Tree is definitely NOT the place if you want to practice rapid fire/full magazine combat shooting. If you are into precision target shooting, it is a pretty good place to practice. It is definitely skeet shooters heaven.

What I have gathered about it is that it started out as a very serious competitive target shooting club and still has that flavor. Target shooters generally shoot five round groups, hence the five round mag limits, it just makes sense in their "culture", they are not trying to be dicks.

I don't do the skeet thing, but they have a nice trap setup that my wife and I enjoy, it is never crowded.

When I want to do pure precise target shooting, I prefer Angle Tree, I don't have someone next to me ripping off 15 round magazines with half the rounds hitting the dirt in front of him.

There is a third club I shoot at where pretty much anything goes, shoot up melons, rapid fire all you want, etc.

Taunton is sort of in between. No mag limits, and as long as you can hit the paper, no one frowns at rapid fire. They do frown at guys who shoot the ceiling, floor, etc.

So it isn't that one club is "better" than another, it all depends on what kind of shooting you want to do.

I think of shooting clubs like bars. Sometimes a really noisy one is great, other times, a nice quiet neighborhood one is better.

After seeing some of the folks who go into rapid fire mode and cannot control it, shooting the ground with bullets ricocheting off to who knows where, I can see some of the clubs having a dim view of it when they are in neighborhoods with homes downrange.

jimbo39, I also live down the road from Angle Tree. As you, because of the rules I couldn't bring myself to join. I'm on the Board of Directors at Mansfield. If you would like a tour, I'll do my best to take you. My job has me traveling a lot during the week. But I'm usually also teaching at Mansfield during the weekends. If you're interested at seeing other clubs, let me know and we'll work it out.

I used to also belong to Taunton. It's a great club...and if it wasn't that it was far enough that I didn't use it much for the cost...I would have kept my membership.

Uh, guys. I hear people bitching about various club's rules they consider to be F'd up all the time. Try and find those guys at club meetings, volunteering for committees, or participating in club votes. If you don't like the rules of your club, get active and get them changed or STFU.

I am also not far from Angle Tree. I checked into joining and was totally turned off by the fudds and skeet snobs.
I joined Taunton and never had any regrets. Good facilities and good people.

Back
Top Bottom