1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Android Phone choices - Pixel or OnePlus?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CoastieRon, Jul 11, 2019.

?
  1. Pixel 3A

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Wait for Pixel 4A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. OnePlus 7 Pro

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Some other phone

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Right now, I have a Pixel 2. The phone has been great, but I noticed that the charger no longer stays in very well, and I guess I dropped it at a concert (I'm pretty sure it was at Sammy Hagar) and shattered the glass portion around the camera on the back side. It still functions, but I am thinking it's getting close to time to get a new phone.

I'm looking for something that will function well with Android Auto, but does not have to necessarily work wireless like the Pixel line does.

My question is, do I get a Pixel 3A, wait for the Pixel 4A, jump on a OnePlus 7 Pro, or other option? Anyone have any experience with the OnePlus phones?

2. 11_fingers

11_fingers

Google sent out an email for $300 of the pixel 3 & 3xl , so take a look at that sale also

CoastieRon likes this.
  3. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

I took a serious look at the OnePlus 7 Pro, but ended up passing because of the lack of headphone jack. This isn't much of an issue for those who are comfortable with bluetooth, but I still rely on the 1/8 jack for car audio and headphones. It is also kind of a beast of a phone in size. Pixel with vanilla Android and first to get updates will be the best option if Android Auto is a primary concern. Can you wait until Oct though? I think that's when they announce Pixel 4.

I personally went Galaxy S10 international version for dual sim. One Plus does dual sim as well. The trade off is having to deal with a skinned version of Android, but what I get for that is the IP68 rating, in-screen finger print reader, 1/8 jack with AKG headphones, and top end camera. So for me, this hardware spec was more important than the software.

CoastieRon likes this.
  4. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Yeah, I can wait for sure. I'm hoping they have a 4A (with the poly carbonate back - I'm all set with glass) for the price point. I really like the ability of the wireless android auto, but as I said, wired is fine too.

5. dontpanic

dontpanic

I just replaced an LG G5 (horrid phone) with a Pixel 2xl (super phone). I ordered a OnePlus 6 but couldn't get it to work on Verizon, even using all the workarounds.

6. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Oh, that's a problem.

7. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

It was technically capable of working on Verizon and Sprint. I supported both legacy CDMA bands and 3 out of 4 LTE bands for Verizon. Just that Verizon demands a crazy certification process and One Plus wasn't interested in jumping through those hoops. The result is that Verizon would not allow proper activation of those phones on their network. That's part of residual CDMA legacy BS where you actually have to activate phones instead of just popping in a sim card--one reason why I steered clear of Verizon and Sprint a long time ago for my personal phones.

Verizon controls the hardware a little too much. For example, my boss' phone died. He wanted the same phone, but was not up for an "upgrade" price reduction. Found the same phone on Amazon for 1/3 the price Verizon wanted. This was also factory unlocked. EXACT SAME PHONE. Bought it and went to activate it. Verizon refused to recognize the IMEI because it was third party and unlocked. They may have the largest US network, but this type of BS is intolerable.

TLB and The5thDentist like this.
  8. Lowbird

Lowbird NES Member

I was looking at then one plus mclaren last year. Settled on the pixel 2xl. Solid phone.
    My fear is I’ll burn through the battery. I’m on the damn thing way too much during the day. That’s what the warranty is for I’d guess.

CoastieRon likes this.
  9. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

I really enjoy my pixel honestly, but I like trying different stuff sometimes. But like I said, the charging port isn't holding the USB c connection (it falls out a lot), and I smashed the back glass. I have the insurance, but honestly, those refurb phones suck ass.

I buy my phone's outright.

10. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

I have the Pixel 2XL now and am waiting for the 4XL to be released/available. Got it direct from Google (24 months 0% interest) and will have it paid off in less than three more months (about a year early).

If you can wait a couple more months, I would to see what the new phones will bring to the table. Then decide.

CoastieRon likes this.
  11. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

To OP: If it makes you feel any better, I've gone through (2) Galaxy S6's, (1) S7, (2) S8's, and I'm now on the S10 in just under 4 years. I'm that one idiot who doesn't use a case protector, but ends up cracking the screen sooner or later. I finally decided to put a case on the S10. I hate it. Feels like covering a Ferrari in a rubber case. A shame one would hide all that sleek engineering, but definitely cheaper than buying/claiming a new phone every 6-12 months!

CoastieRon likes this.
  12. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Yeah. I'm tired of the huge protectors. I have a simple sled on this phone.

13. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

I have an LG v30 and loved it. I had an LG v20 before.

Luckily for me my phones are purchased through work and I don't have to pay.

My wife is taking on a new job and a phone is not provided. So we are looking into new Android phones for her. She has a Samsung 6 something or other but wants to upgrade to the Google or LG phone.

I am in complete shock at what these phones cost. A thousand bucks for the LG v40? $999 for the Google phone? Give me an effing break!

They want to charge 40 bucks a month for the f***ing phone?

What I thought was pretty crazy, my dad has a Huawei phone that he bought on Amazon. I think it's carrier is one of those pay per month providers.

CoastieRon likes this.
  14. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

Sticker shock is insane if you think of it as "just a phone", but if you step back and think about how phones have now replaced tablets, laptops, desktops, wallets, watches, flashlights, remotes, etc in many cases, and then consider how much time us spent using the device in any given day, the value equation changes. There is no one device I use more than my phone. If I can justify spending $1k or more on a TV or a laptop, then surely a high end smartphone is worth it too. It is essentially both those devices, but complicated by cramming all that circuitry and batteries into a relatively small package. I also end up spending more on coffee in a year, so I can justify this type of expense. Still though, best to wait until the first price drops on new models if you can.

CoastieRon likes this.
  15. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Same with apple phones.

I don't think we'll see Huawei phones for a while again.

16. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

You make a great point however all of the conveniences in the phone can he had for a lot less money. I wish, there was a happy medium in some capacity I guess. I still need an iPad and a laptop for work as crazy as that sounds. I could possibly get rid of the iPad but there are a few programs at our company uses that work too good on the iPad.

I know technology has changed in the past 10 years but what did a phone cost that did have all of the conveniences that you speak of above? I don't ever remember having to pay monthly payments for a phone. It was always like, get this awesome phone for 99 bucks and your unlimited plan for a hundred bucks a month.

Everybody lives in debt these days and the phone corporations know it. People are willing to spend 40 bucks a month on a phone and that must be where the Tipping Point is. $50/mo and it's a no-go.

17. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

It doesn't replace any of those things for me. I want sms, a few messaging apps and a web browser, camera. Something that BlackBerry did mostly well 10+ years ago. They rape on the phones because they know people that don't want the gutter grade junk will gladly pay that much to get away from the 50 dollar children's HTC deluxe lg skinflint shitphone, whatever, etc.

I'd have less if a problem with these f***ing things if I could get 6 years out of one. Much past 3 or 4 is pushing it. It's obvious they push you to throw it away and buy a new one.

I've been activating cell phones at work for 15 years now. Most of them were crap then most are now. The choice are between turds and turds with lots of frosting. My current note 8 has pissed me off the least, but that's not saying much.

18. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

Not saying smartphones are the end-all replacement for all gadgets, but I do find myself reaching less for some of those items. I've all but given up on tablets since phones grew in size. I email as much on my phone as I do my home laptop. Hell, I even remote into my office computer with my phone these days. I suppose it is different for everyone, but I'll still stand by the fact that no other device I own gets as much use as my cell phone and that the premium they charge has a lot to do with the fact that high end cell phones have similar processing power to laptops, but the silicone is miniaturized to fit into the form factor. $1k is still a bit nutty though. I'm comfortable with $700 or less.

I can't believe how far these things have come though. My first cell phone was a Moto StarTac with a screen that looked like an alarm clock. It replaced my pager.

19. Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines Dealer NES Member

Clean out the usb-c port with a toothpick, had the same issue with the cable falling out but cleaning it fixed mine.

CoastieRon and Choctaw like this.
  20. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

I really have to wonder what the margin on these phones really is. I mean...$1,000 for a god damn phone? Come on!

I've tried both Android and iOS. For basic function and doing what I need, I like iOS better. No dicking around with various vendors with accessories. I know that if I buy a pair of headphones or whatever that are designed for Apple, they will work. I have a pair of Bose QC2 noise canceling headphones. They had the little in-wire remote for pause/play/volume. Worked great on the iPhone...but on my Note 3...the button thingy didn't do shit unless I paid for an app that understood the little clicky commands...and even then...it wasn't always accurate. Other issue is Android is still the wild west. Any shithead can post an app that is infected and your phone is now compromised. Apple is a closed ecosystem. Sure...you don't get some of those really cool apps...but it is one less thing to worry about. Just my $0.02 worth.

Whatever you decide, share a review with us!

CoastieRon likes this.
  21. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

Most of the industry is between 50-65% profit margins on flagship smartphones, hardware only, not factoring advertising budget. Sounds nutty, but you have to consider that a lot of that spread is covering prior R&D expenditure which is almost never factored into the cost of a smartphone.

22. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname NES Member

I bought an unlocked Motorola Moto G5 for $145.00 from Best Buy two years ago and it's been great. My previous phone was a Motorola Razr that I kept forever. I've never been one for the latest and greatest.

23. Freddy B

Freddy B NES Member

Using a OnePlus 6 to type this. Thing is fast. Can't imagine how fast the OP7 pro is. This is my 2nd OP phone. Very happy with them.

24. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Motorola StarTAC all the way, yeah! That and my 2nd gen BlackBerry were my favorites.

25. Mxracer239y

Mxracer239y NES Member

I am about two years in on my OnePlus 5 and I love it. I am considering the 7 Pro, but it is hard to justify getting rid of the OP5. Best phone I have owned yet.

The battery life isn't amazing, but that is par for the course after two years with a medium to heavy user. Dash charging however, IS amazing. Battery life almost doesn't matter when it charges this fast.

26. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

What networks?

27. Mxracer239y

Mxracer239y NES Member

AT&T. Not a clue about the Verizon issues mentioned above.

CoastieRon likes this.