Andover sportsman’s club

just was thinking about joining and was interested in hearing anyone’s thoughts on it, pro and cons, is it worth it ?

I don’t have any complaints. Good indoor pistol range accessible anytime by keycard, nice trap, archery if you are into, two outdoor pistol ranges and a rifle range. Rifle range is only 100 yards at least for now. I haven’t been in meetings in a while due to work and kids. All the people I have met are very friendly and helpful. The club overall is really nice

>24/7 access to indoor range. Pistol and 22lr rifle only. No magnum calibers.
>no rso needed to shoot
>10 round mag limit
>trap twice a week, skeet only once every other week iirc.
>they preemptively banned bump-stocks a while back.
>iirc, they raised the age for kids to shoot and kids have to take a class up to a certain age.
>outdoor range used by various police depts for training fairly often so need to check calendar before heading out.
>just opened a second trap field
>no rules regarding rapid fire as long as people are being safe
>no action pits, no drawing from holster.
>up to 50 bmg on rifle range.100 yds but was talk of extending to 200 iirc. eta- no 50 bmg, no magnum rifle
>mg's allowed only with rso present
>no idpa/uspsa/3 gun etc. not banned just dont happen there. couple of pistol teams and possibly a trap team if Im not mistaken.
>good people there, never had any hassle from anyone.

http://andoversportsmensclub.org/downloads/club-rules.pdf

Last edited:
>no rso needed to shoot
>10 round mag limit
>iirc, they raised the age for kids to shoot and kids have to take a class up to a certain age.
>outdoor range used by various police depts for training fairly often so need to check calendar before heading out.
>up to 50 bmg on rifle range.100 yds but was talk of extending to 200 iirc. eta- no 50 bmg, no magnum rifle
>no idpa/uspsa/3 gun etc. not banned just dont happen there. couple of pistol teams and possibly a trap team if Im not mistaken.

Rumbling is that skeet might be going back to every Thursday (except monthly meeting) because it was all about utilization. (I think half the time they did skeet anyway when it was wobbles or doubles if everyone wanted to do skeet)

The 200 yard range seems a long way off, but otherwise a good club.

Yeah, they are being very methodical about how they do capital improvements, though I think the 200 yard range is next because not much else left. Unless it was something with archery that I heard but won't say due to it possibly being a dead end.

However in the 4 years I have been a member.

New Dedicated pistol range. (Needed to make room for 200 yards)

Moved the archery field and reroute the 3d course. (Needed to make room for new trap Field)

New trap Field, up and running, just needs grass and a few other things.

So I don't doubt it will happen within a couple years, but given they havent broken ground yeah nothing is gauronteed.

To the OP, I really enjoy my time at the club. Though I am now into trap so someone looking for action pits and action shooting won't find what they want at the club.

However in the 4 years I have been a member.

New Dedicated pistol range. (Needed to make room for 200 yards)

Moved the archery field and reroute the 3d course. (Needed to make room for new trap Field)

New trap Field, up and running, just needs grass and a few other things.

So I don't doubt it will happen within a couple years, but given they havent broken ground yeah nothing is gauronteed.

To the OP, I really enjoy my time at the club. Though I am now into trap so someone looking for action pits and action shooting won't find what they want at the club.

They also upped the rifle mag limit from 5 to 10 a couple years ago. The only negative change I can think of was limiting under 18 kids to .22.

>no rso needed to shoot
>10 round mag limit

Their rules on kids is why I joined cpfg in Newton nh. My son was 12 when I was looking for a new club and Andover made it a little difficult to take kids shooting.

Their rules on kids is why I joined cpfg in Newton nh. My son was 12 when I was looking for a new club and Andover made it a little difficult to take kids shooting.
I dont have any kids myself, but makes no sense for a club in MA of all places to make it harder for kids to shoot. Im sure its a liability thing, but I really believe that long term, getting young people into shooting is the only thing keeping our 2A rights from eroding away.

"MINIMUM AGES.
No one under the age of 8 years old is allowed on
the range. No one
under the age of 12 years old may fire a handgun. N
o one under the age of 12 years old
may fire a rifle with a caliber larger than .22. No
one under the age of 16 years old may
fire a handgun with a caliber larger than .22. Anyo
ne under the age of 18, along with their
parent or legal guardian, must successfully complet
e a youth firearms program. The
youth must wear their youth badge/certificate when
on the range."

I dont have any kids myself, but makes no sense for a club in MA of all places to make it harder for kids to shoot. Im sure its a liability thing, but I really believe that long term, getting young people into shooting is the only thing keeping our 2A rights from eroding away.

"MINIMUM AGES.
No one under the age of 8 years old is allowed on
the range. No one
under the age of 12 years old may fire a handgun. N
o one under the age of 12 years old
may fire a rifle with a caliber larger than .22. No
one under the age of 16 years old may
fire a handgun with a caliber larger than .22. Anyo
ne under the age of 18, along with their
parent or legal guardian, must successfully complet
e a youth firearms program. The
youth must wear their youth badge/certificate when
on the range."
The caliber restrictions were my problem. I bought my son his own mosin nagant at 11 and he was fireing a 357revolver.....loaded with 357 mag at 12. I just couldn't join with those restrictions.

The caliber restrictions were my problem. I bought my son his own mosin nagant at 11 and he was fireing a 357revolver.....loaded with 357 mag at 12. I just couldn't join with those restrictions.
I dont blame you. I guess theres a process to apply for a waiver but the rules in place seem a bit over the top. Probably due to that dipshit who handed his kid an Uzi a while back. (not at ASC)

Back
Top Bottom