Andover MA - Physician’s note required

I'm in the process of applying for a handgun license in Andover. As has been noted in other threads, the chief of police requires a note from your physician.

I'd love a suggestions on finding a physician who won't take issue with filling out the note/letter. I've never had a regular physician mainly because I'm been healthy for the last 10 years.

Thank you in advance,
Chris

I was once under the care of a Dr. Kevorkian, but we had a falling out, he kept pressuring me to make life altering decisions.

Does Andover still do this? I thought they stopped?

Letter

I'm in the process of applying for a handgun license in Andover. As has been noted in other threads, the chief of police requires a note from your physician.

I'd love a suggestions on finding a physician who won't take issue with filling out the note/letter. I've never had a regular physician mainly because I'm been healthy for the last 10 years.

Thank you in advance,
Chris
This is against the law. Contact GOAL.

Didn't these extra requirements get hot potatoed around to different state hacks for a while. I think a few years ago the hacks refused to take responsibility for enforcement and that GOAL didn't have standing to submit the complaint. Does anybody else remember something about this??

Lawrence, Methuen and North Andover require a physician's letter as part of the LTC application process as well. In fact, Lawrence has had that requirement for over 30 years. Most physicians are not psychiatrists and cannot determine a patient's mental health. Such a letter would be basically worthless, but the chiefs in these jurisdictions are paranoid anti-weapon types and aggressively practicing the fine art of C.Y.A.

??????

I believe this was settled some time ago only what is required by the state.
as stated make a complaint to GOAL now.508-393-5333.dont wait.

Lawrence, Methuen and North Andover require a physician's letter as part of the LTC application process as well. In fact, Lawrence has had that requirement for over 30 years. Most physicians are not psychiatrists and cannot determine a patient's mental health. Such a letter would be basically worthless, but the chiefs in these jurisdictions are paranoid anti-weapon types and aggressively practicing the fine art of C.Y.A.
I believe this came about in the aftermath of the Mucko McDonald affair.

I asked a doc friend about this. His answer was he would be concerned about liability, especially if his patient had any type of mental health issues in the past.

My buddy had to do the same thing in Methuen. He didn't go a shrink he just when to his normal doctor which I believe he said he needed to see anyway and the doctor wrote a letter for him. Very simple process and I agree it should not be needed. I'm pretty sure it's not against the law to ask for this type of note. Heck they ask if you suffered metal illness each and ever time you buy a gun. Just another good ol Mass hassle thats all. Good luck.

I hate to say it but it really is not. Mass gun laws set a standard of what you need to apply, but how lose the laws are wrote the chief can add most anything into it that he wants. You can apply and wait for him to turn you down then you can take the case to court if you want to spend the 3K for a lawyer. But I have a feeling that the courts will side with the local chief then you would need to take the case higher up. The cost to fight it would be huge. The cost of dealing with a butthead cheif and doing the little extra is much cheaper. The butthead chief has a free city lawyer working for him and the taxpayers paying the bill what do you have?

GOAL is aware of it - this battle has been going on for a number of years. BTW - Methuen, unless they've reinstituted it in the last few months, stopped doing it. It's only Lawrence, Andover and No. Andover that still want it.

From what the Andover police chief said at a doctors forum a few years back (hubby and I were invited to it by a doc) because doctors were upset about this - it won't count against you if you can't get one or don't have a doctor. He said it was to help them save time as they sometimes don't get a response from the MA dept. of whatever the hell it's called now instead of mental health. If you can't find a willing doctor, tell them you don't have one.

FWIW

Unfortunately it may not be that, but it is unethical, immoral, ineffective and an unneeded invasion of privacy. But contacting goal would definitely be a good thing. They could give you good advice on dealing with it.

I used to hold a LTC in Andover and on top of the letter from physician on the doctors letterhead ,was told pretty much in more words or less that they don't give out unrestricted Class A licenses unless you own a rental property in town or the surrounding towns, or unless you are a business owner in town. So good luck

Thanks for the comments. I joined GOAL last week but thought I'd ask here first. I guess I'll ask the doctor if he has an issue with the letter before making the appointment. It takes 2+ months to get on their physical schedule, the last think I want is to wait two months, have the physical and then have them take issue with the letter.

Kobra, Crazy Eights - Yup, that's me ; ) In addition to shooting, I like racing cars.

Thanks,
Chris

I thought you were joking when you said you had a to get a physical to apply for your license. Can you just go to one of those walk-in clinics and get one?

The conversation goes something like this:
you: "so doc, I need a note to give a note to the ____ police dept for my permit to carry"
doc: "uh....I personnally have no problem giving you one, but they have a policy here to not allow us to write letters like that for liability reasons"
you: "oh no...what do I do now?"
doc: "make sure you lose a few pounds and I will see you next year"

Wow.. YARIDLIM!
Not to derail the thread,but seeing requirements like this and and the likelihood a doctor would refuse to write it for liability reasons gives a chilling foreshadowing on how things will be if firearm ownership becomes a "dangerous pastime" under government healthcare.[angry]

Wow.. YARIDLIM!
Not to derail the thread,but seeing requirements like this and and the likelihood a doctor would refuse to write it for liability reasons gives a chilling foreshadowing on how things will be if firearm ownership becomes a "dangerous pastime" under government healthcare.[angry]

A "chilling effect" being the intended purpose of the policy.

That and, perhaps, providing a piece of paper invertebrate licensing officers delude themselves into thinking they can hide behind.

Chris, PM Sent.

Also, as JGreen mentioned, please help us end this nonsense by supporting H.2259.

Back
Top Bottom