• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anderson upper and lower; any good?

Hello all! Long time no post! Firstly God bless! Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

I was going through old stuff at the house and found some Anderson lowers and a mated Anderson upper. Are these any good to build rifles with? Normally I use Aero as a baseline but they're all sold out or overpriced right now. I have read mixed reviews and wanted some feedback from the community! If there are existing threads talking about this subject, please link! Appreciate all your help! :cool:

Absolutely fine. Just finished shooting a build with Anderson upper and lower. White Oak barrel, Vortex Holographic scope with 3x multiplier, Geissele trigger. The rifle is a tack driver. I find the quality of the optics, barrel and trigger are key.

I have heard that Anderson makes uppers and lowers for many other brands. It's what they do.

Last edited:
Absolutely fine. Just finished shooting a build with Anderson upper and lower. White Oak barrel, Vortex Holographic scope with 3x multiplier, Geissele trigger. The rifle is a tack driver. I fine the quality of the optics, barrel and trigger are key.

I have heard that Anderson makes uppers and lowers for many other brands. It's what they do.
Geissele SSA-E trigger is a must have on all rifles!

Absolutely fine. Just finished shooting a build with Anderson upper and lower. White Oak barrel, Vortex Holographic scope with 3x multiplier, Geissele trigger. The rifle is a tack driver. I fine the quality of the optics, barrel and trigger are key.

When you have the above hammer, everything looks like a tack. Lol.

I've put several of these together. Never a fitment issue between upper/lower. Never a problem with pins being too tight/too loose. The few I've shot thru Anderson barrels have been good. They would shoot more accurate than I ever could.
Only problem I had with anything from Anderson was 1 charging handle out of spec. Hole for the latch pin on the handle itself was a few thousandths off. It wouldn't latch. They sent me a replacement. I took a file to the latch and it works fine.
Only thing I never liked was the bare bones basic anodizing and that ugly ass horse. I think it reminds me of the horse on the Denver Broncos helmet. Not into football anymore, but the hatred remains. I hated Elway back in the day. Wanted a real bronco to kick him in his big ass teeth.

Most uppers and lowers come from a small number of forges. The manufacturer does the anodizing. If you look at an Anderson funny, it will create a small scratch, that's science. Otherwise, there's no difference between standard lowers/uppers. Andersons are gtg in my book, I have built 3 rifles out of their stripped uppers and lowers.

I've put several of these together. Never a fitment issue between upper/lower. Never a problem with pins being too tight/too loose. The few I've shot thru Anderson barrels have been good. They would shoot more accurate than I ever could.
Only problem I had with anything from Anderson was 1 charging handle out of spec. Hole for the latch pin on the handle itself was a few thousandths off. It wouldn't latch. They sent me a replacement. I took a file to the latch and it works fine.
Only thing I never liked was the bare bones basic anodizing and that ugly ass horse. I think it reminds me of the horse on the Denver Broncos helmet. Not into football anymore, but the hatred remains. I hated Elway back in the day. Wanted a real bronco to kick him in his big ass teeth.
Radian Talons for the win. I shoot wrong handed so I need ambi charging handles.

Thank you for the response, appreciate your feedback sir! Sounds like otherwise your experience with Anderson receivers was good!

Hey all, hope everyone is well. So these POVERTY PONIES I have, two of them have "14" as the first digits, and from what I understand this means they were manufactured in 2014. Now, I presently live out of the New England area. Are these something that someone in MASS would be able to accept through FFL transfer if these shipped to a MASS dealer? Looking to sell these soon, and wanted to just ask if this was legit before going to the interweb and local dealers. Thank you in advance, not soliciting anything but was just curious if these would be considered pre-Martha and acceptable.

Hey all, hope everyone is well. So these POVERTY PONIES I have, two of them have "14" as the first digits, and from what I understand this means they were manufactured in 2014. Now, I presently live out of the New England area. Are these something that someone in MASS would be able to accept through FFL transfer if these shipped to a MASS dealer? Looking to sell these soon, and wanted to just ask if this was legit before going to the interweb and local dealers. Thank you in advance, not soliciting anything but was just curious if these would be considered pre-Martha and acceptable.

Any dealer that doesn't suck will move them regardless of when they were made. "Pre Healey" is not a thing. Have the buyer set up the local and pass it by them
first to see if they will do it. If they don't then don't send it. It is the buyers responsibility to do the legwork. Don't get roped into it yourself.

Honestly for a couple of cheap lowers like that its not even worth your time, the time cost of moving those things its more expensive than just keeping them around for your own use. Or at least wait until everyones hair is on fire, then sell them at a huge profit. [rofl]

Any dealer that doesn't suck will move them regardless of when they were made. "Pre Healey" is not a thing. Have the buyer set up the local and pass it by them
first to see if they will do it. If they don't then don't send it. It is the buyers responsibility to do the legwork. Don't get roped into it yourself.

Honestly for a couple of cheap lowers like that its not even worth your time, the time cost of moving those things its more expensive than just keeping them around for your own use. Or at least wait until everyones hair is on fire, then sell them at a huge profit. [rofl]
That makes sense. These aren't anything special, just old stock/paper weights at this point. Totally disconnected from things up North, so appreciate the insight and advice.

Back
Top Bottom