• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

And People Wonder Why I Carry....

Man shot three times in Pittsfield's 9th shooting of year

Monday, June 22
PITTSFIELD — A man was shot multiple times in Pittsfield's Morningside neighborhood just after midnight Friday.
The unidentified man suffered three bullet wounds to the leg, according to Pittsfield Police Detective Capt. Patrick F. Barry, commander of the city's detective unit.

The shooting, which is Pittsfield's ninth since Jan. 1 and Morningside's third serious gun crime this year, occurred near the corner of Tyler Street and Forest Place. It was reported by off-duty Police Officer Ryan M. Williams when he noticed a disturbance and reported hearing at least four gunshots at 12:08 a.m., Barry said.

In addition to the victim, who showed up at Berkshire Medical Center after the incident, a nearby building also was hit by gunfire.

A spent round was recovered in a downstairs window of a large brick apartment building on Tyler Street, across from Kirk's Hobby & Variety Center. The shooting allegedly occurred near the rear of 760 Tyler St., which backs onto Forest Place.

"(The victim is) not being overly cooperative at this time," Barry said. "He said he didn't know who shot him."

More Here: http://www.benningtonbanner.com/local/ci_12662439

Amazing, so someone put 3 bullets on you leg at midnight, you go to the hospital, the cops come to ask you some questions, you tell them that is was dark and you have no idea of who shot you and the cops say that you are not being overly cooperative at this time. Pleaseeeeeeeeee!!!!

Ish.

Wow... didn't know that area was not the best. When we were on vacation last year, we drove that road several times during the week... [sad]. Course, we were always there during the daylight hours.. so few ghouls out and about then... [thinking]

Amazing, so someone put 3 bullets on you leg at midnight, you go to the hospital, the cops come to ask you some questions, you tell them that is was dark and you have no idea of who shot you and the cops say that you are not being overly cooperative at this time. Pleaseeeeeeeeee!!!!

Ish.

In most cases, a person who is "not cooperating with police" is giving them an answer they don't want. Things like "I don't know my attacker" or "I'd like to speak to my attorney before making a statement" are prime examples of a person being uncooperative.

In most cases, a person who is "not cooperating with police" is giving them an answer they don't want. Things like "I don't know my attacker" or "I'd like to speak to my attorney before making a statement" are prime examples of a person being uncooperative.

That and "Hey, officer, I just took three in the leg and am all drugged up. Mind if this waits a little bit?"

I recently told a few friends from here about an incident I had a couple of weeks ago, when I left the gym and dared to pull out a blue bandana to wipe my brow with. I got followed to my car and heckled by three red bandana wearing fine young men, whose chief complaint was that I dared to display the color blue in a red neighborhood. Apparently, they belong to a social organization that has taken over the color red and has seen fit to ban other colors - namely blue. About 15ft from my car, I turned and said for the second time in three months: "You know guys - today is really not the f***ing day".... I went on to say: "It's a f***ing bandana - last time I checked, blue bandanas were invented sometime in the goddamned 1800's, so get over your shit and get the f*** back on the other side of the street".... They complied...The person I told this story too was a bit in disbelief..."Pittsfield?" he said..."Yup - Pittsfield", I replied....

when I left the gym and dared to pull out a blue bandana to wipe my brow with. I got followed to my car and heckled by three red bandana wearing fine young men, whose chief complaint was that I dared to display the color blue in a red neighborhood.....

Un-Believable.
I don't know the area at all but this is scary. But what kills me is that the police "are powerless" to do anything about it and have "no idea" where to look (paraphrasing from the article).

But, I would bet you there is no shortage of police working details in the area. No shortage of speed traps. No shortage of all manner of revenue generated police activities.

Outstanding Mark! Good for you. Those little punks know when you mean business.

Shit gets on my nerves when these "tuff guys" try to intimidate three on one.

You might get away with the red bandana - blue bandana in Pittsfield, however waving the wrong color in the wrong place in Springfield you would not have gotten off so easily.

picardssdd.jpg

I thought we were done with the "fashion gangs?"

Nothing is more pitiful than gangs resurrecting someone else's "beef"... [sad2]

Regarding the article, that neighborhood used to be decent. I used to go for hot dogs at the little deli up a block from Kirk's with my buddy during the summer, shopped the used bookstore further up the street, bought candy at Zenner's (where another shooting took place, earlier this year) and whiled away many afternoons licking down ice cream cones at the soft serve place at the end of Tyler St..

My wife and I wanted to go for ice cream after my daughter's last day of school this afternoon... We went to the Krispy Kone place out by Pat's Gun Shop in Lanesboro. [sad]

I recently told a few friends from here about an incident I had a couple of weeks ago, when I left the gym and dared to pull out a blue bandana to wipe my brow with. I got followed to my car and heckled by three red bandana wearing fine young men, whose chief complaint was that I dared to display the color blue in a red neighborhood. Apparently, they belong to a social organization that has taken over the color red and has seen fit to ban other colors - namely blue. About 15ft from my car, I turned and said for the second time in three months: "You know guys - today is really not the f***ing day".... I went on to say: "It's a f***ing bandana - last time I checked, blue bandanas were invented sometime in the goddamned 1800's, so get over your shit and get the f*** back on the other side of the street".... They complied...The person I told this story too was a bit in disbelief..."Pittsfield?" he said..."Yup - Pittsfield", I replied....

Start carrying a red one too, and next time they get brave, tell them "The blue one's for my face, the red one's for my a**hole." While looking right at them, shove it down your pants, rub it around and throw it at them.

Oh yeah, but for this to work, you'll need to bring lots of extra ammo. [smile]

You might get away with the red bandana - blue bandana in Pittsfield, however waving the wrong color in the wrong place in Springfield you would not have gotten off so easily.

No offense, but the day I select the color of my bandana to wipe the sweat off my forehead or blow my snot into based on the sensitivities, (or lack) of local gang members - here, Springfield or anywhere for that matter, will be the day we should all just give up. Just leave the whole goddamned country to the politico and the crackheads. First of all, I wasn't "waving" anything. I pulled a bandana out of my pocket to wipe my brow. Secondly, I would do the exact same thing in downtown Springfield, or anywhere else for that matter. I will be held prisoner by no one - especially thugs. Thirdly, whose to say who got off easily? I'm no wilting lilly by any stretch....[wink] If you choose your snot-rag color based on where you are, I feel sorry for you - you've given up already....

As to Pittsfield, it would be unfair to say the police were doing nothing but road detail, although there are more simultaneous road projects going on than I've ever seen here. In fact, I see more patrol cars on the street and more officers on the beat, (foot patrols and bikes) than any other time I can remember. I have not only met, (and am privileged to know) new officers, but also met Chief Wynn. He has an uphill battle and seems like a good guy, up to the challenge - and pro 2A. Whomever got Riello can have him. My last conversation with him was just before I moved out of Pittsfield when he said: "You'll never have an all lawful purposes license in my town". I never looked back. The PPD has a lot on it's hands. We are right on the NY border and a couple of hours from NYC. Drugs are a huge problem and with them comes the element that deals in them.

On a final note, I walked up to the third floor deck of the parking garage on Columbus Ave this afternoon to find about 10 kids between the ages of 15 and 19 I'd say. Most of them smoking, all of them disheveled and looking tough. As I walked past them and went toward my car, one of the kids hopped on a skateboard and breezed by. As he came back, I was tossing my laptop into my hatch. I turned and said: "Nice board man". He stopped and thanked me and we struck up a small conversation. I told him that when I was his age, modern trucks and polymer wheels were a relatively new invention. I went on to tell him about my fiberglass board with the hula girl motif and that designs were on top of, rather than underneath boards in my day. I asked him, as his friends approached, if there were any skate parks around. "One on The Commons, but it's lame" he said. I replied: "Would be nice to have a big park - I saw one on TV in the midwest that looked awesome - full of tubes, ramps and rails", I replied. I spent the next 10 minutes talking to these kids about skateboards, tail draggers and alternate uses for skateboard tape. I made a half-assed attempt at a cool handshake with the kid on the skateboard, but the last thing he said was "take care"...Perhaps there is hope....

Last edited:
Regarding the article, that neighborhood used to be decent. I used to go for hot dogs at the little deli up a block from Kirk's with my buddy during the summer, shopped the used bookstore further up the street, bought candy at Zenner's (where another shooting took place, earlier this year) and whiled away many afternoons licking down ice cream cones at the soft serve place at the end of Tyler St..

My wife and I wanted to go for ice cream after my daughter's last day of school this afternoon... We went to the Krispy Kone place out by Pat's Gun Shop in Lanesboro. [sad]

there are streets in pittsfield i rode my bike down as a kid that i wouldn't drive my car down now...sad

So Mark, do you hang out in Morningside at midnight often?

In the work I do, I am all over Pittsfield and sometimes at odd hours. If I get a call in the middle of the night that a client is in trouble - I'm out the door. I have arrived at BMC with a client at 6pm and left at 2am. The population I serve often reside in neighborhoods that make Morningside look like Shangri-La....

Besides, what does that matter anyway? There was a shooting here in broad daylight a few blocks from where I'm typing this...[thinking]

Skate boarders are the wrong demographic. There is an indoor skate park in East Springfield. It's a real busy place and there are no gang recruiters hanging out. The gangs recruit from the elementary and middles schools in certain neighborhoods in Springfield.
East Columbus Ave is not exactly the mean streets of Springfield.

As to Pittsfield, it would be unfair to say the police were doing nothing but road detail, although there are more simultaneous road projects going on than I've ever seen here. In fact, I see more patrol cars on the street and more officers on the beat, (foot patrols and bikes) than any other time I can remember. I have not only met, (and am privileged to know) new officers, but also met Chief Wynn. He has an uphill battle and seems like a good guy, up to the challenge - and pro 2A. .

Hmm.. re-reading what I wrote. I think that came off badly. I DO NOT fault the police for doing details and all of the other things that need to be done.

What I should have said is that there needs to be a complete top down approach to tackling a problem like this.

The citizens need to support the police in this effort. Information, etc. they also need to feel the police will actually protect them if information is given. Or if they are needed to testify.

The police on the streets need to be given the ability to harrass and arrest all of the known gang members and all around bad guys. Loitering, trespassing, vagrancy, disturbing the peace, etc. Many of these will probably lead to other things, possession, etc. Many may be on parole, leading to parole violations, etc. In general the feet on the street, need to make it painful for the gang to do business in that town.

The chiefs need to make this a priority and allocate resources to keep pressure up. This may mean less revenue generating activities, like speed traps, road details, etc.

the DA's need to vigorously prosecute these people, not bargain down to a slap on the wrist and a $20 fine.

the judges need to sentence these people.

Hopefully, that makes more sense..

Hmm.. re-reading what I wrote. I think that came off badly. I DO NOT fault the police for doing details and all of the other things that need to be done.

What I should have said is that there needs to be a complete top down approach to tackling a problem like this.

The citizens need to support the police in this effort. Information, etc. they also need to feel the police will actually protect them if information is given. Or if they are needed to testify.

The police on the streets need to be given the ability to harrass and arrest all of the known gang members and all around bad guys. Loitering, trespassing, vagrancy, disturbing the peace, etc. Many of these will probably lead to other things, possession, etc. Many may be on parole, leading to parole violations, etc. In general the feet on the street, need to make it painful for the gang to do business in that town.

The chiefs need to make this a priority and allocate resources to keep pressure up. This may mean less revenue generating activities, like speed traps, road details, etc.

the DA's need to vigorously prosecute these people, not bargain down to a slap on the wrist and a $20 fine.

the judges need to sentence these people.

Hopefully, that makes more sense..

You know, you bring up some good points. I spend a fair amount of time in district court and am witness to just throngs of people in and out - like a revolving door. Everything from simple drug possession, to domestic violence, assault and battery, DUI and beyond....I can't imagine working in that system, or worse yet - being the beat cop who tosses some of these idiots in jail on Monday - only to see them walk out on Tuesday...It has to be maddening.

So Mark, do you hang out in Morningside at midnight often?

Again - it's not just Morningside and it's not just midnight...

Pittsfield home invasion suspect pleads not guilty

PITTSFIELD -- Four down and one to go. That's the number of defendants who have been arraigned so far in Berkshire Superior Court for their alleged roles in a West Side home invasion that left a man seriously wounded.
Five defendants were indicted May 29 in connection with the April 26 incident, but only one remains to be arraigned: Gerald Glover, 18, is scheduled to appear in Superior Court on Wednesday.

The latest arraignment came Thursday, when Pittsfield resident Jerilyn Maldonado, 19, pleaded not guilty to her alleged role in the violent crime, in which an Onota Street man was deliberately targeted for robbery.

The victim was shot and stabbed during a daytime assault inside an Onota Street duplex. The man has since recovered from his injuries.

Maldonado, a tenant of the Riverview Homes, was released on cash bail of $5,000, or $50,000 bond.

The other defendants -- Rashard L. Brown, Rahmel C. Moody, and Robert C. Holderman, all 18 -- have already been arraigned in Superior Court. Each is being held on high bail at the Berkshire County Jail & House of Correction.

Prior to forcibly entering the Onota Street apartment, the defendants allegedly forced two other individuals -- a 19-year-old man and an 18-year-old woman -- to participate in the attack, police said. Those individuals have not been charged with crimes.

Back
Top Bottom