• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

And Another Arisaka

JonJ

NES Member
Picked this one up recently.
A Toyo Kogyo Series 35 Type 99 made in Hiroshima.
It's a late war piece known as a "Substitute" rifle.. Incorrectly refered to as a "Last Ditch" rifle.
Has peep sight, wood buttplate, short top handguard. Original excellent finish on the wood and metal. Mirror bright bore. All matching.
Damn, these things are addicting!
tk35.jpg

tk351.jpg

Anouther Arisaka

where did you research for the information on that model rifle,? i would like
to get a book on the Jap rifles, the only ones that i have seen in that
gonfiguration did not have the olive handle, but the handles that i have seen on the so called( last ditch ) rifles were flat angles on the knob,
have you seen any aplications of this type?? id apreciate any info on that.
maybe what i saw was the result of some jap,s handiwork with a file???

Take Care Sheriff Dudley S.A.S.S. #17925

Thanks for the compliment BJ. These rifles have really grown on me.

Dudley, I just searched and asked around. There's a ton of info out there. The best book that I've heard is Military Rifles of Japan (5th Ed). Most use it as the bible.
As for the bolt handles, they used what they had and made what they could under the various wartime conditions. This rifle made in Hiroshima has fairly good quality. The bolt handle is plum shaped, but the safety knob has a welded blob. I have my father's Nagoya which was built earlier that shows more short cuts.
Here's a pic of it in pieces and you can see that the bolt handle is a cylinder shape. The safety knob (not in pic) on this series was not a welded blob but machined.
nagoyaall.jpg

Anouther Arasaka

Great information Jon J !! thanks that is why this hobby is so much fun
its always a learning experiance! i have my eye on a type 99 a friend
has but he is (teater-tottering) on whether to let it go, i on the outher
hand am standing by( waiting to POUNCE) im sure everyone has had
that experiance!!

Sheriff Dudley S.A.S.S. #17925

I hear ya Dudley, the hunt!
Glad I could help. I don't know everthing about them but enough to get by. If you have any other Q's ask and I'll see what I can do.
BTW:If you don't end up buying your buds, let me know maybe I do [wink]

Back
Top Bottom