An "Unwilling" Gun Purchase

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I guess this sort of counts as Milsurp as it has "military" in its name.

I have gotten a part time armed security guard position. The company has the state contract here in Mass. for the RMV. I'll probably be in Taunton to start, then either New Bedford or Fall River, being closer to home. I have to supply my own firearm and duty equipment. Funny, no baton or mace. The only two weapons I have are my mouth and a handgun. No cuffs, either.

Anyway, I held out to use a Milsurp as long as I could, but the catch was that I have to use a Level 3 Duty holster and a 9mm; so my P38 or Luger wouldn't really work. I wanted to use my S/W Victory revolver in .38 special...I'm very comfortable with a revolver. Dating myself, I carried a S/W 686 in .357 Magnum as a Federal officer way back when. Also had to get a duty belt and mag pouch. I also got a pouch for rubber gloves and a spare mask.

As a result, I had to buy my first "new" gun; a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 2.0 compact. Duty holsters needed to be 4 or 4.25 inches for this model, so I couldn't get the Shield EZ version at 3.8 inches. It will take my first month's pay to cover all of this.

For ammo, I was also required to get hollow points. All I could find are these Hornady 115grs....1153fps and 340ft/lbs. A box of Remington White ball for the training session. Also have 73 loose rounds of Winchester and Remington ball.

Pistol came with three alternate backstraps. I put in the one seen with the thumb pad. There were also two mag grip extenders, but I was limited to the 10 round magazines. Company policy to be unchambered, so I can’t do 10+1.
t

Attachments

• 6E3F2BDA-60A7-4C06-83C6-A423FEA1378B.jpeg
    6E3F2BDA-60A7-4C06-83C6-A423FEA1378B.jpeg
    663.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 3DFAF852-6B50-4DD5-BAD2-B715FB5A3719.jpeg
    3DFAF852-6B50-4DD5-BAD2-B715FB5A3719.jpeg
    663.3 KB · Views: 37
  • A7F404AC-7727-4BE5-A2EC-8E41334287B0.jpeg
    A7F404AC-7727-4BE5-A2EC-8E41334287B0.jpeg
    655.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 739F66E3-7DC7-4ABD-8927-861B80B70474.jpeg
    739F66E3-7DC7-4ABD-8927-861B80B70474.jpeg
    614.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
The hiring person, upon questioning, said many did have a chambered round (wink, wink), and that fact was not checked...so...
t
I hope that in the event of an "incident", they don't sell you up the river by saying you "violated company policy" by having one in the chamber.

i went this route with an armored car service in between jobs several years ago. for minimum wage it wasn't worth the risk. 2-3 weeks after i left, my former truck was hit, the messenger killed. yeah, not worth it. if i'm remembering correctly, they were on a weekly stop at the boston athletic club picking up the weeks cash intake and filling an atm.

I hope that in the event of an "incident", they don't sell you up the river by saying you "violated company policy" by having one in the chamber.

It won't matter anyways in most of those jobs there's no union or anything to protect you so regardless of "Fact" they will send you on a raft straight up the river, lol..

The gun is only to protect you if someone is trying to kill you. They dont pay you enough to do anything else with it.

It won't matter anyways in most of those jobs there's no union or anything to protect you so regardless of "Fact" they will send you on a raft straight up the river, lol..

The gun is only to protect you if someone is trying to kill you. They dont pay you enough to do anything else with it.
It's about liability. Plaintiffs will sue both the company and the employee. The company *should* indemnify the employee and defend him. Unscrupulous companies will defend themselves and screw the employee with the not following company policy BS. That's why they have "policies."

If you own anything of value like property,or have any health issues don't do it.
Anyone can say you threaten them with your gun,or trying to throw someone
out of the RMV could really stress you out.

It's about liability. Plaintiffs will sue both the company and the employee. The company *should* indemnify the employee and defend him. Unscrupulous companies will defend themselves and screw the employee with the not following company policy BS. That's why they have "policies."

Meh, I'm not talking about civil liability, if someone works for one of those places they're not attractive to ambulance chasers anyways (no money). People that have big 6 and 7 figures
hanging around don't work as security guards. Like, ever. An ambulance chaser isnt going to persue you if the odds are your assets are depleted by the time the dust settles, thats not
profitable for them.

The bigger concern is criminal liability- Say you work for armored car co and you have to plug someone because they tried to kill you. Is the armored car co going to pay your legal
fees for crim defense? somehow doubt that.

I guess this sort of counts as Milsurp as it has "military" in its name.

I have gotten a part time armed security guard position. The company has the state contract here in Mass. for the RMV. I'll probably be in Taunton to start, then either New Bedford or Fall River, being closer to home. I have to supply my own firearm and duty equipment. Funny, no baton or mace. The only two weapons I have are my mouth and a handgun. No cuffs, either.

Anyway, I held out to use a Milsurp as long as I could, but the catch was that I have to use a Level 3 Duty holster and a 9mm; so my P38 or Luger wouldn't really work. I wanted to use my S/W Victory revolver in .38 special...I'm very comfortable with a revolver. Dating myself, I carried a S/W 686 in .357 Magnum as a Federal officer way back when. Also had to get a duty belt and mag pouch. I also got a pouch for rubber gloves and a spare mask.

As a result, I had to buy my first "new" gun; a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 2.0 compact. Duty holsters needed to be 4 or 4.25 inches for this model, so I couldn't get the Shield EZ version at 3.8 inches. It will take my first month's pay to cover all of this.

For ammo, I was also required to get hollow points. All I could find are these Hornady 115grs....1153fps and 340ft/lbs. A box of Remington White ball for the training session. Also have 73 loose rounds of Winchester and Remington ball.

Pistol came with three alternate backstraps. I put in the one seen with the thumb pad. There were also two mag grip extenders, but I was limited to the 10 round magazines. Company policy to be unchambered, so I can’t do 10+1.
t
WHY.
Just why.
Are you f**king kidding me?

I'm confused about why this seemed like a good idea?
  • It doesn't appear to pay well
  • It carries unnecessary risk
  • It provides no support if things do go poorly
  • It required significant personal expense
I'm not trying to be a jerk; I can't help but think you might have a better option for PT $?

Why do we need armed security at the RMV? Are the pimple faced 16 year olds coming in for learners permits and licenses that dangerous? I went to register my motorcycle in Plymouth last month and there were three security guards standing around at the entrance. Seems like another waste of tax dollars. (nothing personal Majpud)

Meh, I'm not talking about civil liability, if someone works for one of those places they're not attractive to ambulance chasers anyways (no money). People that have big 6 and 7 figures
hanging around don't work as security guards. Like, ever. An ambulance chaser isnt going to persue you if the odds are your assets are depleted by the time the dust settles, thats not
profitable for them.

The bigger concern is criminal liability- Say you work for armored car co and you have to plug someone because they tried to kill you. Is the armored car co going to pay your legal
fees for crim defense? somehow doubt that.
When I worked for Brinks you were fully covered,but unlike other companies you carried their gun,and ammo.

There was only one Boston location,and that was Shawmut Ave in Roxbury,
and they also had a few trucks running out of Randolph coin & currency
room. They did some parts of the South Shore.

Why do we need armed security at the RMV? Are the pimple faced 16 year olds coming in for learners permits and licenses that dangerous? I went to register my motorcycle in Plymouth last month and there were three security guards standing around at the entrance. Seems like another waste of tax dollars. (nothing personal Majpud)

Probably because the same RMV workers who were so afraid of COVAIDS over the past 2 years are now afraid of the general public. [rofl]

Like any new gun I gave to get used to it. 40 rounds mostly Winchester ball, 40-50 feet, slow/rapid fire. Longest trigger pull of any pistol I’ve owned. Hardest magazine to load I’ve ever had. Loosened up a bit. with the final 10. Tightened the group up with the second 20 at the right target. Very good sights; needed to be at 12:00 on the black.
t

Attachments

• FFC1DF68-57B5-4933-BF7D-DB8F37892AFC.jpeg
    FFC1DF68-57B5-4933-BF7D-DB8F37892AFC.jpeg
    473.5 KB · Views: 10
I’d be laughing so hard at those people I wouldn’t even be able to breathe to decline their position. I wish you luck man but holy hell, I’d be in my car before they even finished talking.

OP: no disrespect, really. I see you’re a long-time member… but really, I’m not following your logic here…
same here. i take my self preservation more seriously than you. i lasted a year on the armored car job. i refused to carry the gun they issued and used one of my own. i can't see having my life depend on a 90 year old gun that may have been made in the last months of the war with inferior materials. and the guy who shoots you certainly won't be impressed with what's coming out of your holster. you'd be better to sling a bunny under your arm...no disrespect intended.

Back
Top Bottom