• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

An "Unwilling" Gun Purchase

i refused to carry the gun they issued and used one of my own.
guys, i just wanted to explain why that was, i wasn't trying to be a cowboy. the company issued smith mod-10 revolvers. nothing wrong with those, i like 'em and own several...now. my first day getting the issue revolver, i went to clear the gun at the counter, ie: open the cylinder. the cylinder/crane slide out of the frame and hit the counter. the retaining screw was missing. these weren't gun guys so to them as long as it locked up when you shut the cylinder you were good to go. they had no parts and sending it out or even back to smith was out of the question. i found out the guy before me who had it didn't realize there was an issue. so i carried my own gun. very much frowned upon, they liked revolvers in .38 with a 6 round capacity. ok, i'm done.

Ridiculous.. I would carry a good retention holster. Wear a vest and at the most work with the RMV employee to have the ability to say "you have to leave or I'm calling the police". That's it....unless someone tries to shoot you. Considering the amount of money Massachusetts tax payers pay should have a state trooper detailed there or start a small public safety department make them special state Police and that's it.

Ridiculous.. I would carry a good retention holster. Wear a vest and at the most work with the RMV employee to have the ability to say "you have to leave or I'm calling the police". That's it....unless someone tries to shoot you. Considering the amount of money Massachusetts tax payers pay should have a state trooper detailed there or start a small public safety department make them special state Police and that's it.
Like the RMV police way back. That was sucked into the state police. Early retirement glory for those RMV boys and girls.

When they took the Staties out of the road test business, there were no longer cops hanging around at the branches and since it is cheaper to do private security than detail cops.... well you see what happens.

If the OP is comfortable with the gig and the risks, I'm good with that.

I have said I would never carry a gun for pay, I worked a lot of places where there was a gun on my person somewhere, even if it was against company policy... but that was for my protection , not for a companies benefit.

IMHO if something goes wrong, you are going to be left in the wind to deal with the ramifications on your own.

Say you work for armored car co and you have to plug someone because they tried to kill you. Is the armored car co going to pay your legal
fees for crim defense?
IMHO if something goes wrong, you are going to be left in the wind to deal with the ramifications on your own.
I would think, since this is the sole reason for the job, that the company would handle this.

Otherwise, it is just the individual against everyone, and the chances of having an encounter are higher than just as an individual.

Again, make sure you have a good contract with this company.

You are working for Fred's Security Company

You, as a Fred's employee shoot someone... right or wrong

As you are arrested or indicted, then held without bail pending trial, trying to find Fred so Fred can post your bail ( if any) and retain you a top notch Attorney, you find out Fred has declared Chapter 11 personally and for the business, and neither has or ever had the assets to fund your defense.

You could also put hospital and medical bills in the same scenario

At least if a sworn officer gets shot and killed on the job, there is money available by law to the survivors ( widow does not pay property taxes in some places as long as she does not remarry, etc)

You as an employee do something specifically against company policy but required to save your life or prevent injury. The employer will immediately fire you saying you went against company policy and you are left to face any ramifications on your own.

Qualified Immunity does not attach to a contractor IMHO.

My first wife's Uncle was shot in an armored car hold up, he had medical issues for the rest of his shortened life and it wasn't much of a life either.

As I said above, it is the OP's choice to take the job and assume the risk, I am risk adverse so I would not and have not carried a weapon for pay.

No amount of money, contract or not can compensate me enough for one minute in hand cuffs, and in MA you are almost 100% assured of being cuffed and stuffed after any shooting, justified or not.

You as an employee do something specifically against company policy but required to save your life or prevent injury. The employer will immediately fire you saying you went against company policy and you are left to face any ramifications on your own.
I did not see OP make mention of any policy one way or the other, so this is pure conjecture.

Back
Top Bottom