• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

An Old Man Moving to MA (Transfer Help)

A co-worker of mine is moving his elderly parents to Massachusetts because, well, they are old and need to be closer to family. My co-worker has his LTC but does not own any firearms at this time.

After cleaning out the house in NH he found about 70 firearms and lots and lots of ammo.

How does one go about taking ownership of said firearms? The old man is too old to use them now and my co-worker wants to take ownership of them. I presume each firearm is pre-94.

Thanks,

EFA 10 to himself with no seller information listed. It doesn’t matter if they’re pre 94 unless they’re prohibited black assaulty-types.

I’d like to be the first to welcome 70 new firearms to the state!

OK how many are handguns, how many are rifles?

Remember no post 1994 evil features or high capacity magazines can cross the border.

Since the parents are moving to MA it makes it hard to do a working on the edge of the law work around, such as the " I borrowed them for legitimate sporting purposes" and eventually an inheritance by way of a specific bequest in a will that would allow for a eFA10 registration without going thru a FFL.

In theory, and IANAL and this is not anything but my opinion, once Dad moves into MA it triggers the clock for him to get a LTC.... Now if Dad is over 70 there is no charge right? If you had a FRIENDLY NRA Instructor that would issue him a certificate to get a MA LTC then the co worker could hold the guns (less any evil features) until Dad gets a license and then start transferring what can be transferred, first 4 by eFA-10 personal transfer, then one or 2 a month until all the transferable ones are done, and then whatever is left needs to be put in the Dad's will as a specific bequest and when he passes the co-worker can do a eFA-10 as a bequest, or 4 next year on a personal transfer.

EFA 10 to himself with no seller information listed. It doesn’t matter if they’re pre 94 unless they’re prohibited black assaulty-types.

I’d like to be the first to welcome 70 new firearms to the state!
Could be 70 counts of violation of federal law. Not the best path to take. Can't effect an interstate transfer w/o an FFL. Can't call it in state (when the Dad is MA resident) since both parties need LTC/FID.

FA10 is a requirement to cover change in ownership. There is no reason to change owner at this time.

Move the guns to MA and into his custody (has to be him, since his father does not have a MA LTC/FID). Remember that all the guns still belong to the Dad. Should they decide to sell one, then it is the Dad selling. Out of state, no issue, just mail with a copy of the Dad's ID. In state, you need to use an FFL since the gun will go from the Dad (state ID, no LTC) into the FFL book and then out to the buyer.

Make sure the Dad wills the guns to the son. When he passes, the son now "owns" them and needs to FA10 them all, registration, no seller.

Sporting purposes only in terms of use. Don't carry or use for self defense. If you really want to carry one, then go through steps to change ownership (use FFL). Or just wait until they change through inheritance.

Guns? What guns?

[popcorn]

IBFL. What city are you in?

In some, high chance LTC A will go to your dad or mom. Do that first. You have N days to do so from when they move in. And Y days to change their DL after they move.

Y is probably 7-10 days.
N is like 60.

If he or she gets their LTC, zero actions needed. No need to efa-10 things they move in with.

Of course destroy or give away the 10+ end mags which aren't preban at the border.

Pin muzzle devices
Pin collapsible of foldable stocks.

Could be 70 counts of violation of federal law. Not the best path to take. Can't effect an interstate transfer w/o an FFL. Can't call it in state (when the Dad is MA resident) since both parties need LTC/FID.

FA10 is a requirement to cover change in ownership. There is no reason to change owner at this time.

Move the guns to MA and into his custody (has to be him, since his father does not have a MA LTC/FID). Remember that all the guns still belong to the Dad. Should they decide to sell one, then it is the Dad selling. Out of state, no issue, just mail with a copy of the Dad's ID. In state, you need to use an FFL since the gun will go from the Dad (state ID, no LTC) into the FFL book and then out to the buyer.

Make sure the Dad wills the guns to the son. When he passes, the son now "owns" them and needs to FA10 them all, registration, no seller.

Sporting purposes only in terms of use. Don't carry or use for self defense. If you really want to carry one, then go through steps to change ownership (use FFL). Or just wait until they change through inheritance.

This seems like the likely path. I dont know how old he is but I think he's like close to 90. I will pass this information along. The key part being, don't use or sell them until inherited and transferred to co-worker.

Hopefully he has a will....

What if no will? Just wondering for myself...

Back
Top Bottom