An old Fudd gun gets brought back to life...

45collector

NES Member
I bought this late 1880's Belgian 10 gauge black powder SxS shotgun at the Monument Beach Sportsman's Club several years ago for $75. I figured it would make a nice fireplace mantle hanger. A few months ago I decided it deserves to go BOOM again. I bought 16 gauge chamber inserts for it, which I fitted (requiring just a little filing and sanding to the ejector) earlier this week. The case of low recoil 16 gauge 2.5" shells I ordered came in the mail yesterday, and early this morning before work I fired a round through each barrel just to make sure the gun won't blow up in my face. It didn't, and it was awesome. Very mild recoil, not very loud. I'm taking this baby out Pheasant hunting next month.

"Prize Machine Gun" pat'd June 20th 1883. ('Machine gun' meaning it was made on machinery, not hand made)
Belgian proof marks "EGL" with crown
Bores are clean and smooth besides a few patches of light pitting.

PMG 001.jpg
PMG 002.jpg

Nice to hear about it being brought back to life. When it goes hunting fill us in, please. Would love to see a photo of the shotgun with a couple of birds beside it.

Do you know if they have 20 GA for my old rolling block shotgun.If they do could you please PM me with the info.

Thanks

Iron 10 bore, sleeved with brass down to 16. How heavy is that thing?
I don't think I could swing that thing fast enough for trap, much less pheasant!

Its pretty heavy. I took it to the range after work and shot 25 rounds of trap. I would have liked to do skeet to try swinging passing shots but I was alone. The gun shoots beautifully and everything worked like new.

Somebody asked me why I would go through all the trouble of getting this ancient gun workable again when I could have just bought a 16 gauge gun to go pheasant hunting with. Because it was a fun, easy, not very time consuming project of course. Duh. Besides, something about an antique exposed hammers scattergun has always appealed to me.

So, the breakdown of total cost, for those interested, is:

Gun: $75
Chamber adapters: $50
250 rounds of mild 2.5" 16 gauge #7 shot: $125 shipped.
Labor: Maybe 2 hours of fitting the adapters.

For $250 it was worth it and then some.

Somebody asked me why I would go through all the trouble of getting this ancient gun workable again when I could have just bought a 16 gauge gun to go pheasant hunting with. Because it was a fun, easy, not very time consuming project of course. Duh. Besides, something about an antique exposed hammers scattergun has always appealed to me.

So, the breakdown of total cost, for those interested, is:

Gun: $75
Chamber adapters: $50
250 rounds of mild 2.5" 16 gauge #7 shot: $125 shipped.
Labor: Maybe 2 hours of fitting the adapters.

For $250 it was worth it and then some.
Because old guns are cool as hell! What you need to do is wear a plaid stormy kromer jacket, wool pants, and bean boots when you go out to the field! Guys will be like "wait wah?!?!?!?!?"[rofl]

Oct 18th can't come fast enough.

ETA: I did end up shooting a pheasant with the gun but some other hunter made off with it. Dick licker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom