An NES Favorite: Wasp Nest Removal Help

ETA... Oh yeah, how could I forget... be sure to capture the event on video from multiple camera angles (wearing a helmet mounted Go Pro
would be awesome), and post here for posterity and mega likes.

I have a yellow jacket thing under one of my shutters now and its in the structure somewhere, theres a hole and its buried in there. I've sprayed it like 5 times and the f***ers still come back, although I won for about a day or so. I am thinking of just hooking my shop vac up to the hole and just leaving it on a couple of hours... [rofl]

I took a melon sized nest off my house that way. It works. The little dumbasses just keep attacking the end of the hose. Vicious pest meets undefeatable enemy. They keep up the kamikaze attack until they're all gone.

A lot of you joke about this, but wasp removal can be very dangerous.

A few years ago, a good friend of mine hit an underground yellow jacket nest, and was stung dozens of times.

He died from the stings at 48 years old and with 2 small kids.

Be careful out there.
This!

My brother does tree work. A few years ago he cut into a dead tree while he was in a bucket truck and cut right into a yellow jacket hive. Bucket trucks are slow moving pieces of equipment. He started coming down but ended up getting stung over 100 times before he could climb out of the bucket and run. Was hospitalized for 4 days getting the swelling down so he could breath on his own! They are no joke.

took out a nest under my front deck the other night at 10pm. emptied two cans of hornet/wasp spray into the thing, before it melted to nothing

I’ve got a hive in a bird house that is right next to the house on a porch. I sprayed the crap out of it last night and killed some of them but woke up today and it’s business as usual for the bastards. I suspect because the hole in the birdhouse is so small that it’s hard to get spray into it. I have already tried the following:

- shot at it with everything from .380 (which we know will take down a bear) to .50 BMG.
- nuked it from orbit.
- doused it with gas and set it on fire.
- used a flame thrower.
- held up pictures of Hillary, Bernie and Lizzy (shocked that that didn’t kill them).
- had someone hold my beer while doing each of the foregoing.

Seriously, the weak but probably intelligent thing to do would be to call an exterminator. But we all know that that just isn’t fun and would compromise my manhood. All thoughts appreciated.
maxresdefault.jpg

Hit it again!

This time do it at about 5:15 in the morning before they are active. Just go right up to it and spray the crap out of it inside the hole.

I pay a yearly fee to "pest end" company. They do twice a year foundation spray to prevent carpenter ants getting in the basement.....they monitor for termites....and I can call them anytime for bee and wasp nest and they come out usually next day and get rid of it. All part of the annual fee of $325. So far they have taken care of 3 wasp nest for me. Doesn't even need to be on the house.....any hive on the property. They don't just spray and pray......they remove the hive. Money well spent. The contract also includes rodent extermination (I've never used them for that but it's included).

Pricing is based on square footage of home and size of the yard. I have 1/3 acre and a 960 square foot home.....added that for anyone that is interested in calling them for basic pricing.

I've been torn up by wasps and Hornets many times over my life. I prefer to spend the money to have some other poor sap take care of it.

That's down right reasonable! I didn't know anyone offered packages like that.

They are no joke.
for sure...experience tells me to wear my glasses when cutting the hedges to identify yellow jackets from other miscellaneous flying "things" that may be nesting in them. ouch...allergic to them as well. 23 stings and an overnighter cause i thought they were just bugs and soldiered on until the first bite.

I have a yellow jacket thing under one of my shutters now and its in the structure somewhere, theres a hole and its buried in there. I've sprayed it like 5 times and the f***ers still come back, although I won for about a day or so. I am thinking of just hooking my shop vac up to the hole and just leaving it on a couple of hours... [rofl]

Has one similar in the side of my house. The nest went up a couple of feet just after the entrance. I couldn't get any spray to get up to the nest. Had a pest control company come in, they used a powder and was able to go up and saturate the next and kill them within a couple of hours.

Perfect for the shop vac method. A gallon of water in the shop vac, attach vacuum hose to pole or similar support, set end of hose next to opening in birdhouse, turn on.

Two or three hours and they'll all be in the (water in the) shop-vac.

A bit of dish soap in the water in the shop vac seems to speed up their demise. Works like a charm

This!

My brother does tree work. A few years ago he cut into a dead tree while he was in a bucket truck and cut right into a yellow jacket hive. Bucket trucks are slow moving pieces of equipment. He started coming down but ended up getting stung over 100 times before he could climb out of the bucket and run. Was hospitalized for 4 days getting the swelling down so he could breath on his own! They are no joke.

Of all the crazy stuff I’ve read on NES this is one of the terrifying scenarios I can think of. Trapped in a bucket with no quick exit all while being assaulted by one of nature’s biggest a**h***s

Of all the crazy stuff I’ve read on NES this is one of the terrifying scenarios I can think of. Trapped in a bucket with no quick exit all while being assaulted by one of nature’s biggest a**h***s
He fully admits he screamed like a little girl the whole way down!

for sure...experience tells me to wear my glasses when cutting the hedges to identify yellow jackets from other miscellaneous flying "things" that may be nesting in them. ouch...allergic to them as well. 23 stings and an overnighter cause i thought they were just bugs and soldiered on until the first bite.
I used to do part time work for a landscape contractor before I went in the army. I learned the first day trimming hedges from an old timer. Take a rake.....walk down the hedge and swat the hedges and see if you stir up a hive before you even start using the trimmers.

I've been tore up by yellow jackets many many times. Once at the gun club when I went into an old container on clean up day. Was emptying it out to sort through the old beat up target stands. The first stand I pulled out had a yellow jacket nest between the boards and I ripped it apart. I Came out of that container like a rocket. Yellow jackets stinging the shit out of me. Good times!

I don’t like any method that requires me to approach the hive. I like maintaining a healthy distance. So far, brake cleaner seems to be getting absorbed into the hive and killing them. That said, the thought keeps crossing my mind to blast through it with a 1000 fps 30 cal air rifle.

Are they dormant at night? If so, everything should be done then. If they are not active, going up to it and securing the whole thing in a garbage bag should be pretty easy.

Are they dormant at night? If so, everything should be done then. If they are not active, going up to it and securing the whole thing in a garbage bag should be pretty easy.

My understanding is that you are correct. Still, don’t want to take any chances.

I don’t care about chemicals. I just am not getting near that thing. In any event, activity around the hive seems to be quieting down with many KIAs. I think my war of attrition is showing results. The whole thing is about 10” x 5” x 5” so not super huge but big enough.

The prefer not to fly at night.
But they can.
Keep at it OP .
Best time is pre dawn when the temps are coolest and they are all in the nest.
I've never much liked that foaming stuff.
Line up on the hole and don't stop spraying till the can is empty.
I've had to go after four nests this week , two of them under decks, good times .

Insect fogger taped to the end of a painter's extension pole. I had a hive in the small roof above a bay window, and after emptying many cans of spray into it to no joy (from the safety of my truck with the window just cracked enough to spray from) the fogger idea struck.. Let the whole fogger loose in the hole, vacated the house for a few hours, and came back to a couple dozen victims in the house and quite a few more outside on the lawn. This was last year, they never returned.

I don’t care about chemicals. I just am not getting near that thing. In any event, activity around the hive seems to be quieting down with many KIAs. I think my war of attrition is showing results. The whole thing is about 10” x 5” x 5” so not super huge but big enough.

Don't be complacent.

They're retreating, regrouping and planning their counter attack.

They'll be back with a vengeance and in numbers even greater than before.
with allies from neighboring nests.

Fill the hole with spray foam ! I encapsulated a mouse in my barn with the stuff ! Awesome fun ! Hold on , I’ll be rite over

My son stumbled upon a ground nest under a downed small pine tree. He got stung 3 times befoe getting away.
When I heard about it I took my Saiga to it with a10rd mag and birdshot. There was nothing left of the nest. Even killed most of the wasps in my shotgun attack as there weere very few returning to the hole that was left.

I don't know what type of wasp it was either. Large sized (for Maine) all black with white stripes on its rear. They look meaner than anything around here.

RC

I would love to take the 12ga to it. I don’t know what it is about needing vengeance against insects.

Must be liberals...No matter what you do they never go away and they always find some way to come back and sting you.

On a serious note, try permethrin, if you can find it, or any insecticide that is a permethrin derivative. I use Raid House and Garden in a green label can. It has d-cis, trans allerthrin as the active ingredient. It works very well and will kill them in a couple of minutes. It also leaves an active residue so when they come back and walk through it affects them. The down side is that this is an indiscriminate killer and will take out everything that comes in contact with it.

- shot at it with everything from .380 (which we know will take down a bear) to .50 BMG.
- nuked it from orbit.
- doused it with gas and set it on fire.
- used a flame thrower.
- held up pictures of Hillary, Bernie and Lizzy (shocked that that didn’t kill them).
- had someone hold my beer while doing each of the foregoing.
Whack it with your purse

Attach a shop vac to a broom handle with duct tape. Place 2 inches away from hole. Turn on shop vac, piss them off and run. Repeat 2-3 times till their numbers thin. Grab a heavy duty black contractor bag and wrap up birdhouse and duct tape at base. The heat combined with lack of moisture will have them all dead in 3 days.

If some of these options do not sound like they will work for you, please send a picture of the birdhouse.

My son stumbled upon a ground nest under a downed small pine tree. He got stung 3 times befoe getting away.
When I heard about it I took my Saiga to it with a10rd mag and birdshot. There was nothing left of the nest. Even killed most of the wasps in my shotgun attack as there weere very few returning to the hole that was left.

I don't know what type of wasp it was either. Large sized (for Maine) all black with white stripes on its rear. They look meaner than anything around here.

RC

Bald faced Hornets...the epitome of mean

Bald faced Hornets...the epitome of mean

f*** those things. They make regular little yellowjackets look like amateurs.... those will only really attack you if you start swinging at them, etc. I only got stung by a yellowjacket the other day because my calf was like a foot away from the nest-hole thing. On the other hand with BFHs, any "alarm signal" like disturbing the nest, etc, or even getting within a certain radius, and they go full retard. If there
was a gov conspiracy afoot itd be in those things.

-Mike

I would love to take the 12ga to it. I don’t know what it is about needing vengeance against insects.

Most wasps are basically just trash collectors in the ecosystem. But there are a bunch of things that do that. Or whoopty do dead bugs etc will just dissolve into goo. They're not like honeybees that do a ton of useful shit and generally (well, at least the european variety) don't get super aggressive. Some kinds of wasps will actually invade honeybee colonies, etc, too.

-Mike

My go to is an old pos paintball gun that runs off the small disposable co2 cartridges. Can shoot them from 50ft or so and then just powerspray the remains later.

Back
Top Bottom