An NES Favorite: Wasp Nest Removal Help

LittleCalm

NES Member
I’ve got a hive in a bird house that is right next to the house on a porch. I sprayed the crap out of it last night and killed some of them but woke up today and it’s business as usual for the bastards. I suspect because the hole in the birdhouse is so small that it’s hard to get spray into it. I have already tried the following:

- shot at it with everything from .380 (which we know will take down a bear) to .50 BMG.
- nuked it from orbit.
- doused it with gas and set it on fire.
- used a flame thrower.
- held up pictures of Hillary, Bernie and Lizzy (shocked that that didn’t kill them).
- had someone hold my beer while doing each of the foregoing.

Seriously, the weak but probably intelligent thing to do would be to call an exterminator. But we all know that that just isn’t fun and would compromise my manhood. All thoughts appreciated.

I would call the exterminator. f*** wasps and their ability to kill me.

For a sufficiently large nest you might need multiple sprayings.

I tried all the sprays when I had a wasp nest, were not effective. I didn't want to hire someone so I ended up putting on all my snowboarding gear (pants, boots, jacket, gloves) and my motorcycle helmet so I had no exposed skin and ripped it out, tossed it in the woods.

It's a bird house, so it has a hole. Put some poison in a pressure tank sprayer, the kind you pump. Make sure the wand is the kind that can lock on. Insert wand into hole, lock on the spray, let it empty its entire contents into the bird house. Run away!

It's a bird house, so it has a hole. Put some poison in a pressure tank sprayer, the kind you pump. Make sure the wand is the kind that can lock on. Insert wand into hole, lock on the spray, let it empty its entire contents into the bird house. Run away!

And by the way, if you do this approach, don't fill your sprayer with Ortho Home Defense. That stuff works great as a barrier around the house. But, it takes several hours to kill a wasp. Meanwhile, they will be flying around for hours all pissed off as they slowly die, looking to get into your house to enact revenge. This happened to me, was quite scary, had to put objects in front of the door to keep them from sneaking through the edges.

Thanks all. I sprayed into the hole last night and then doused the whole thing with the spray. Looked like a foam basketball. And yet they survived. It’s hanging from a string so was thinking of shooting it with an air rifle to drop it into the garden - like Clint did to Tuco in the Good, Bad and the Ugly. But then not sure what to do once it’s on the ground. Maybe put on the snowboard outfit and sling into the woods. But that still freaks me out getting that close to a big ass hive.

Last edited:
The cheap route is bleach/water (or ammonia/water) solution through a spray bottle on jet stream setting to shoot it into the hole. Even better if you have kids and can borrow a super soaker. You should be able to hit it from 20+ feet away with one of those. Not suggested where bleach may discolor wood/siding though, but if the birds nest is just hanging, you might be able to pull off a trick shot.

We need a pic! But how about just cutting the birdhouse down and throwing it away? Maybe spray it again and wrap it up in a garbage bag while they can't get out.

Call an exterminator and minimize the risk of injury to yourself. Wasps, especially in large sizes like a big hive, can kill you.

DROWN THE BASTARDS!!! Since it’s hanging put a large bucket or Rubbermaid bin filled with water below it and cut the string. A couple might escape as it’s falling, but the hive will be a total loss. Just make sure to wear protective gear and don’t miss the bucket.

You could even add insecticide to the water.

Video please!

blast in thru the hole a can of that insulation foam, the kind that expands. of course although now being set for the winter chill, the bird house is useless now. can't have it both ways.

Fill shop vac with c4, place nozzle on birdhouse hole, shake sh*t out of house agitating little bastards. They will fly out and be sucked up into shop vac tank. When all bees are in vac tank. Detonate vac.

If you don't have have access to a shop vac or c4, make a poisoned cheesecake. Smoke a blunt next to the nest blowing smoke into the birdhouse. After a few min they will be hungry...cheesecake time little buddies.

Last edited:
I’ve done this before and never had any issues. You dress up in 5-6 layers of winter clothing, sweatshirts, jacket, Gloves, 2 hoodies with a stocking cap on. Once your pretty much mummified then put on goggles. Take a large heavy duty trash bag, go underneath the nest and enclose the entire nest inside the bag to the top and rip it off from exactly where it’s attached and tie the bag up. Put it in another bag and tie it up again, do it a 3 rd time and your good to go. I usually crush it up and roll it up pretty small and cover it with kindling then gas. Light it up and your good to go.

I’ve been hitting it with brake cleaner all day. Activity in the sector has dropped dramatically. It’s a war of attrition and I play to win.

I tried all the sprays when I had a wasp nest, were not effective. I didn't want to hire someone so I ended up putting on all my snowboarding gear (pants, boots, jacket, gloves) and my motorcycle helmet so I had no exposed skin and ripped it out, tossed it in the woods.

So I'm not only one? I've got to share this with the wife...

Call an exterminator and minimize the risk of injury to yourself. Wasps, especially in large sizes like a big hive, can kill you.
I pay a yearly fee to "pest end" company. They do twice a year foundation spray to prevent carpenter ants getting in the basement.....they monitor for termites....and I can call them anytime for bee and wasp nest and they come out usually next day and get rid of it. All part of the annual fee of $325. So far they have taken care of 3 wasp nest for me. Doesn't even need to be on the house.....any hive on the property. They don't just spray and pray......they remove the hive. Money well spent. The contract also includes rodent extermination (I've never used them for that but it's included).

Pricing is based on square footage of home and size of the yard. I have 1/3 acre and a 960 square foot home.....added that for anyone that is interested in calling them for basic pricing.

I've been torn up by wasps and Hornets many times over my life. I prefer to spend the money to have some other poor sap take care of it.

The correct answer is to pretend it's a Jap or German pillbox, sneak up on their position while the wife covers you
with her duty weapon, yell 'FIRE IN THE HOLE!', toss a lit M-80 or Cherry bomb inside it, then run like the angriest
demons from hell were chasing your ass.

Perfect for the shop vac method. A gallon of water in the shop vac, attach vacuum hose to pole or similar support, set end of hose next to opening in birdhouse, turn on.

Two or three hours and they'll all be in the (water in the) shop-vac.

A lot of you joke about this, but wasp removal can be very dangerous.

A few years ago, a good friend of mine hit an underground yellow jacket nest, and was stung dozens of times.

He died from the stings at 48 years old and with 2 small kids.

Be careful out there.

I have a yellow jacket thing under one of my shutters now and its in the structure somewhere, theres a hole and its buried in there. I've sprayed it like 5 times and the f***ers still come back, although I won for about a day or so. I am thinking of just hooking my shop vac up to the hole and just leaving it on a couple of hours... [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom