An NES Favorite: Wasp Nest Removal Help

Mike, yup. If these were honeybees I’d find a way to keep them or get them moved. Wasps are just flying roaches.

f*** those things. They make regular little yellowjackets look like amateurs.... those will only really attack you if you start swinging at them, etc. I only got stung by a yellowjacket the other day because my calf was like a foot away from the nest-hole thing. On the other hand with BFHs, any "alarm signal" like disturbing the nest, etc, or even getting within a certain radius, and they go full retard. If there
was a gov conspiracy afoot itd be in those things.

-Mike
The problem with dealing with them is that their eyesight is way better than yellow jackets or brown wasps.
They also post exterior sentries .
By the time you get within 15-20 feet of the nest , those bastards are on to you.
It's a gut check when you see all the ones on the outside of the nest turn in unison to face you.
You have to go Ninja on their asses.
I have a can of the high test spray in each hand.
Once you get lined up on the hole and start spraying, no matter what you don't stop till the can is empty even if your getting stung.
The ass whipping you'll take if you do will make a couple of stings look like a picnic.

Update: all threats have been neutralized. The wasps/hornets had papered up the hole enough so that the foam really didn't do anything b/c it could not really get into the nest. So I kept hitting the hole with brake cleaner. The nice sharp stream did the trick, filling up the inside of the nest until it was a toxic brew that wreaked havoc on the inside while causing any returning drones to flee. Was quiet by dusk so I dressed up like the michelin man (snowmobile attire, hot as frickin' hell), foamed up the entire nest so nothing could escape and slipped a trash bag over the nest while lifting it up off its hanger. Double bagged it and left it out at end of driveway for some final sun baking tomorrow. Thanks again for everyone's help.

So I'd just walked the dog yesterday (not a euphemism - I actually took the canine friend out in the backyard so she could do her business) and came back in, sat on the couch and went about my business.

After a while I felt something sort of "moving" under my shirt. Great, some nature crawled up under. So I swat it and pulled up the hem to see and it was a fricking yellow jacket, stunned but still wiggling.

Of course I instantly balled up the shirt and then SQUEEZED. Then shook out the corpse into the sink.

No sting though. He either got confused and stung the shirt instead of me or didn't realize he was in mortal danger.

Since this thread has been revived I figured I would share an easy way to deal with was nests that are in difficult to reach spots.

We had a monster nest in the eaves of the attic. They got in through a small hole in our soffit vents. It was deep enough that removing the soffit wouldn’t give much access, but getting it from the attic side would mean crawling on my stomach in a tight space head first towards the nest. We couldn’t use spray pesticides since that can sometimes kill a few, but cause the rest to move deeper into the house. We thought the answer was the powder insecticide that kills a few days later so hopefully all the nest gets covered. Still didn’t work.

The answer was using our shop vac. Fill it partially with water and dish soap. Then use an attached pvc pipe to get the suction right next to the entrance. The get curious or defensive and go to investigate. Once they get close enough they get sucked into the vacuum and the soap coats their wings keeping them from flying… and then they drown. You’ll have to leave it running for a day or two, but damn is it effective.

18A5530B-FFDB-41A2-9EEE-0A82A25BE7BC.jpeg
F5678F4F-4BE0-43C5-857F-E069A7934173.jpeg
CE62F0A9-E3D9-40E1-90E3-5D10889C2110.jpeg

Since this thread has been revived I figured I would share an easy way to deal with was nests that are in difficult to reach spots.

We had a monster nest in the eaves of the attic. They got in through a small hole in our soffit vents. It was deep enough that removing the soffit wouldn’t give much access, but getting it from the attic side would mean crawling on my stomach in a tight space head first towards the nest. We couldn’t use spray pesticides since that can sometimes kill a few, but cause the rest to move deeper into the house. We thought the answer was the powder insecticide that kills a few days later so hopefully all the nest gets covered. Still didn’t work.

The answer was using our shop vac. Fill it partially with water and dish soap. Then use an attached pvc pipe to get the suction right next to the entrance. The get curious or defensive and go to investigate. Once they get close enough they get sucked into the vacuum and the soap coats their wings keeping them from flying… and then they drown. You’ll have to leave it running for a day or two, but damn is it effective.

View attachment 704573
View attachment 704574
View attachment 704575
Check out The Hornet King on YouTube. He's a professional wasp exterminator and that's his primary method.

Back
Top Bottom