An MP7-Style PDW in 300 BLK? A Crye Patent Suggests So!

mikeyp

NES Member

1634434512500.png

CRYE PDW – THE BRIEF​

The patent US 11,105,574 B1, generically titled “Firearm”, covers a hypothetical “compact rifle-caliber firearm” conceived to provide advantages over current existing layouts.

As you can guess, the patent discloses solutions that would enable rifle caliber cartridges to be fed through the grip of the firearm. While the advantages of this configuration and the limitations that made it so far not viable may sound obvious to the TFB reader, the patent analyses them in-depth, and so shall we.

CRYE PDW – ANALYSIS OF THE CURRENT COMPACT FIREARMS​

The document identifies three main configurations of automatic (or semi-automatic) repeating firearms, based on the location of the feeding assembly relative to the grip:

1. Magazine in front of the grip;
  2. Magazine behind the grip (i.e. bullpup);
  3. Magazine through the grip.
With a focus on compact firearms, configurations 1 and 3 are shown as capable of employing collapsible or folding stocks. Although the patent does not mention any specific model, as we’ll see later we can consider the SIG MCX Rattler the benchmark for the “forward-fed” AR-style firearm. This weapon is relatively compact as it sacrifices barrel length to achieve this goal.

Crye was supposed to release their Six12 shotgun years ago. I wouldn't hold my breath on any of their products. The Non-NFA version has never surfaced:

View: https://youtu.be/lMm3jz6Qrxs

.300bo in the grip? Who the f has hands that big?
That's the point of the patent.
Crye_US11105574_01.png

Feeding actually seems like the hard part here. If you balance the angles right, it looks plausible.

Failure to feed, here we come. I wouldn’t trust those canted bullitz to come out straight every time.

I guess I need to read the patent, but the magic would seem to be getting the round to come out of the mag almost horizontally once it gets to the top. I assume it’s not just riding the nose of the round below it under spring pressure. Is it just feed lips doing that?

Last edited:
I guess I need to read the patent, but the magic would seem to be getting the round to come out of the mag almost horizontally once it gets to the top. I assume it’s not just riding the nose of the round below it under spring pressure.
And with the follower having that angle it would tend to keep it pointed more up that the other rounds which, at least, might flatten out for feeding. My guess is they are filing a theoretical design because they can't make it work in the hope that when someone else does they can go after the money.

Yeah, that follower is wild. Does it hinge though, maybe for the last round? Looks like a spring in there.

Back
Top Bottom