An intruder is at your door

I keep my guns near my bed table for such reasons. But never faced such situation. But always. I have two kids and my wife. This area is safer but I need to take care of my family also...

Last edited:
You are in bed sleeping but awaken by the noise (or wife elbowing you). Goal is to secure residence. How fast are you getting to your firearm using lawful measures of security?

I am a newbie and curious of quick ways to get to my sidearm. Where is a good place to keep it? Under the bed?

Class recommendations welcome

Here’s some voice of reason for you based on some of the other responses I’m seeing. Nobody likes to discuss this reality because all these freedom loving patriots on here think it sounds girly mannish but here it is.

In any self-defense scenario your three priorities are: Escape, Evade, Engage

Escape: if you are in your house and someone’s breaking in the front door get out the back door if you can. If you’re in the mall and you hear gunshots 100 yards in the other direction run away from it and get the hell out. This is the part none of the tough guys like but it is the reality. The whole point of self-defense is saving your life. Do you want to get into a gun fight if you could just escape?

Evade: if you can’t escape you find someplace to secure yourself or hide. The home defense plan should include a secure room where you can get a phone and a firearm. Once locked in there you’re calling 911 and keeping the line open so the operator can hear what’s going on. If the intruder breaks through your locked bedroom door and you have to shoot him you’re on pretty solid ground at that point. If you’re in the mall food court maybe you find a broom closet in the back of one of the restaurants and go in there. You don’t want to confront the attacker if you don’t have to. Ever.

Engage: This is the point where we’ve exhausted all other possibilities and now we have to use some kind of forced to defend ourselves. I prefer an escalation of force mindset. If you’re carrying a gun it’s a good idea to carry pepper spray. It’s a lot better to spray someone than shoot someone. That mall stabbing locally a while back would be a good example. There are millions of options for quick access safes nowadays. Keep your gun locked in one in that secure room.

34491FCB79678843A6F03C69F37E699BA6568DA2

Escape: if you are in your house and someone’s breaking in the front door get out the back door if you can.
Not sure I agree with this part. Why would I want to leave a well-defended position where I have the advantage in favor of a wide-open and unpredictable environment?

Why don’t you just wear it on your hip. Nothing closer than having it on your person. Get a safariland holster.

Problem solved ;)

Here’s some voice of reason for you based on some of the other responses I’m seeing. Nobody likes to discuss this reality because all these freedom loving patriots on here think it sounds girly mannish but here it is.

In any self-defense scenario your three priorities are: Escape, Evade, Engage

Escape: if you are in your house and someone’s breaking in the front door get out the back door if you can. If you’re in the mall and you hear gunshots 100 yards in the other direction run away from it and get the hell out. This is the part none of the tough guys like but it is the reality. The whole point of self-defense is saving your life. Do you want to get into a gun fight if you could just escape?

Evade: if you can’t escape you find someplace to secure yourself or hide. The home defense plan should include a secure room where you can get a phone and a firearm. Once locked in there you’re calling 911 and keeping the line open so the operator can hear what’s going on. If the intruder breaks through your locked bedroom door and you have to shoot him you’re on pretty solid ground at that point. If you’re in the mall food court maybe you find a broom closet in the back of one of the restaurants and go in there. You don’t want to confront the attacker if you don’t have to. Ever.

Engage: This is the point where we’ve exhausted all other possibilities and now we have to use some kind of forced to defend ourselves. I prefer an escalation of force mindset. If you’re carrying a gun it’s a good idea to carry pepper spray. It’s a lot better to spray someone than shoot someone. That mall stabbing locally a while back would be a good example. There are millions of options for quick access safes nowadays. Keep your gun locked in one in that secure room.

Depending on the situation these may not even apply. And they are not even mutually exclusive. If I'm with family I may engage specifically to help them escape. Other factors come into play like the number of attackers or the relative physical ability (right now my leg is injured, escape and evade isn't even an option).

As for the OP, I live in NH, that's all you need to know.

Depending on the situation these may not even apply. And they are not even mutually exclusive. If I'm with family I may engage specifically to help them escape. Other factors come into play like the number of attackers or the relative physical ability (right now my leg is injured, escape and evade isn't even an option).

As for the OP, I live in NH, that's all you need to know.

Notice I said these are priorities. I never said they are a concrete plan. Notice how I said get out IF you can. If you have family members present maybe you can't get out etc etc

Not sure I agree with this part. Why would I want to leave a well-defended position where I have the advantage in favor of a wide-open and unpredictable environment?

This came from training I've taken. It's all case by case. The idea is to reduce the risks as much as possible by avoiding a fight if possible.

Fire 10 shots thru the door, pick up your brass and step back to the firing line. Then make a martini. Jack.
Come on, only 10 shots from a FA? I figure it's more like a half mag. And if it's a Thompson with a drum, that's way more than 10. [laugh]

wake up the wife and ask her to bring me some water from the kitchen. Wait to hear what happens. If the intruder is in the house I will feed him and give him some soda. The lead sandwich should fill him up, for sure he will weight more than when he came in. Then I will watch the soda bubble out and have the wife clean up the mess. Then I will pick up the brass and clean my gun and go back to bed.

After you dump all the lego's in front of the door

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lb92tL6R4A

There is a book, "Sailing Alone Around the World," by Joshua Slocum.

He was given advice, before rounding Tierra Del Fuego: If you anchor up, scatter tacks on your deck.

He anchored up, put out the tacks, and, in the middle of the night, heard yelling, and people jumping off the boat.

Simple measures can be effective.

I just press the "deter" button on my safe storage coffin bed. A little compartment opens to dispense earplugs. You put the earplugs in, close the compartment and speakers throughout the house blast the 1877 kars 4 kids ad on a 5 minute loop. If there is someone in the house they'll never come back
LMFAO!

RIP delivery guy

He delivers at 11-12 for fedex and 2:30-3:30 for UPS. No night deliveries here.[smile]

Sequential electronic motion sensors in the driveway that transmit to my house would give me enough time to allow me to be armed and standing outside behind cover with a 220 yard view of who was coming in before a vehicle made it halfway down my driveway.
My dogs can hear a rabbit chewing grass outside. [thumbsup]

Last edited:
Last week my phone pinged to let me know someone was on the front porch at 1:40 AM. I grabbed my phone and checked the cam and there is someone on the porch with something in his hand. I check the other cameras and there is a car in the driveway running with the drivers door open.

I switch back to the camera on the front porch to take a closer look..... It’s the newspaper delivery person. His toss missed the front porch.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom