An intruder is at your door

Man, this thread just made me realize something that I really didnt want to accept. I travel sporadically for work, not an issue now as I am renting in my inlaws house. But, once I buy a house in the near future, I need to get a large dog to watch over my house full of women.

I love most dogs, but its kinda like the playing with someone elses child kinda thing where you can go home and not have to deal with the downside of them.

what is this downside of having a dog that you speak of?

oh and to OP...an intruder would set off my 2 dogs long before he got to the door and then he would set off the house alarm and then he has the potential to get shot

Last edited:
Some guys love scenario based stories....

1. If my dogs start losing their mind I'm up quick. 2. Dial 911 and hope they get there in time.

Pretty much this. Call 911, tell wife to stay upstairs with baby. I'll go to at least to the top of the stairs with a gun to see what's going on. No need to speculate on what I'd do beyond that because something like a home invasion would happen so fast with so many variables and very little time to think. Bottom line is I'd do anything I needed to to preserve my life and the lives of my wife and son.

what is this downside of having a dog that you speak of?

oh and to OP...an intruder would set off my 2 dogs long before he got to the door and then he would set off the house alarm and then he has the potential to get shot
having to plan around getting someone home to feed/let the dog out. Finding someone to watch them when on vacaton. Also, my families weekend house is owned by my inlaws, my father in law hates when my father visits that house with his dog for an hour, nevermind me bringing my own for a week/weekends

having to plan around getting someone home to feed/let the dog out. Finding someone to watch them when on vacaton. Also, my families weekend house is owned by my inlaws, my father in law hates when my father visits that house with his dog for an hour, nevermind me bringing my own for a week/weekends

sounds like it's not in the cards then...but dogs are a lot less work than kids...my retired parents check in on my dogs daily (but they would be fine if they didn't) and they watch them while we're on vacations but my family loves them...so it's cheap and not a big deal

Why does anyone make a post like this without listing where they live in their profile? You don't trust this community?

The last person I saw make a claim like this lived in Missouri. Missouri has well above average violent and property crime rates. Most of these claims are just macho posturing.

South Central Kentucky(way out there in farm country, predominantly 100-200+ acre farms ) and believe me, you don't want to be "home invading" around these parts. Don't even try to compare this area with any of the cities or their suburbs in Kentucky, the difference is night and day, and even they are covered by Kentucky's Castle Doctrine.

Massachusetts might as well be a different planet compared to here.....there is no comparison in LE attitudes regarding use of deadly force against home invasion.

See Kentucky 503.055 and pay particular attention to 1 a. and b. and 4. which reads: "A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter a person's dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence."

You see in Kentucky the laws favor the good people, not the criminals.

One's home is one's castle here, and if you really want to see the next sun rise, don't be forcing your way into someone's dwelling, residence or vehicle as you are more likely than not to be killed in the process....this isn't liberal police state Massachusetts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dog barks when people are at the door ( deep bark but gentle dog), turn on car alarm, grab AK in case they don't leave, fire at the ground, still there but seeming unthreatening cops, you respond by shooting back, different story.

South Central Kentucky(way out there in farm country, predominantly 100-200+ acre farms ) and believe me, you don't want to be "home invading" around these parts. Don't even try to compare this area with any of the cities or their suburbs in Kentucky, the difference is night and day, and even they are covered by Kentucky's Castle Doctrine. //
Oh, we shouldn't compare cities in Kentucky even though the laws are the same? But it's OK to lump MA together?

10 Most Dangerous Towns In Kentucky

10 Safest Towns In Massachusetts

Fort Knox seemed pretty safe when I was there, though....

You are in bed sleeping but awaken by the noise (or wife elbowing you). Goal is to secure residence. How fast are you getting to your firearm using lawful measures of security?

I am a newbie and curious of quick ways to get to my sidearm. Where is a good place to keep it? Under the bed?

Class recommendations welcome

You ever notice that women never start threads like this - ever - in just about any firearms forum on the Internet? I'd probably call 911 since I live in a condo and grab my gun for good measure and keep it handy.

Since I'm in NH, I can have my pistol in hand in about 3 seconds. It sits with two spare mags. I'm <10 seconds from opening the cabinet with my rifles in it (with loaded/ready mags inside).

Chances are it won't matter, unless he can get past the trap doors that lead to the snake pits just inside both entries. [wink]

You are in bed sleeping but awaken by the noise (or wife elbowing you). Goal is to secure residence. How fast are you getting to your firearm using lawful measures of security?

I am a newbie and curious of quick ways to get to my sidearm. Where is a good place to keep it? Under the bed?

Pee on the dog, throw keys at the wife, drop a deuce on my safe? Oh, I forgot, hand my rape whistle to the intruder? Isn't this how the AG wants me to respond?

At bedtime I grab both cats from outside and dress them up in pitbull costumes.
Next I insert a mad dog barking continuous loop 8 track tape into my 2-XL toy robot and press the play button.
Then I yell "tear the sh_t out of them Wolvernine and Tabatha" and go to bed!

When those two come running out from under the couch whomever is robbing the place is long gone![wink]

Robbers will be all like "man can those small pitbulls climb a tree".[grin]

Police be like "first time I ever seen a pitbull claw a man to shreds".[smile]

Police report: two small cats apprehend states most wanted house burglars! Victims currently in ICU and expect to be healthy enough for trial in six months![laugh]

Wife be like: "why the hell were there two strange looking cats in our house?".
Me: "We don't own any cats. I don't know what your taking about honey!.[rofl]

Cats: "last fuking time we cut through that yard at night!"
Cat-Dressed-as-a-Bunny-For-Halloween.jpg

Cat-Batman-Halloween-Costume.jpg

Last edited:
South Bay Home Depot is open 24/7, bags of lime are up the front of the garden center. Pay cash so there's no record.

Wait what? How sure are you that the South Bay HD is open 24/7? Website says Mon-Sat: 6:00am - 10:00pm. Sun: 8:00am - 8:00pm.
Only reason I ask is because I used to go to this HD; and it's also good to know in case I need something last minute off hours.

About a year ago, I was woken up in the middle of the night by a loud crash and breaking glass from the area of my front door. I'm new here and waiting on a gun permit, so at the time of the incident, as now, all I had to defend myself was a baseball bat.

I was sound asleep when it happened, so it took me a few seconds to process what was going on. Confusingly, my alarm did not go off, so I wondered if they came in through a window, and how they hadn't tripped a motion sensor. I sat frozen in terror (a BAD reflex!), and realized -- I didn't hear anything at all. If someone was creeping around downstairs, I would have heard them. I started to second-guess myself. Maybe I only dreamt that I heard glass breaking and a loud crash?

With the phone in one hand and a baseball bat in the other (not sure how I thought that was going to work if I actually needed to use either), I eventually crept down the hall and to the stairs. I saw nothing, and still heard nothing, so I kept slowly advancing.

I finally made my way to the kitchen, where I found... A glass flower vase where the wilting flowers had somehow caused the vase to tip over onto the tile floor, shattering the vase and making one hell of a mess of glass shards and water everywhere.

I realized that many of my instincts had been bad and I needed a plan. Had someone been in my house, I did pretty much everything wrong. But I was also glad, in hindsight, that I didn't call 911 over what turned out to be some flowers.

A month or two ago, I had something wake me from a sound sleep (like large crash/bang). I was up, hit the lights (at least one light in each room turns on with one press of the button), and had the firearm out it's holster. Then slowly cleared the house.

I think it was just the jerks that live next door.

Massachusetts ?

Locked in a safe, unloaded, ammo in another safe.

If by some miracle you finally get the drop on the perp, immediately head to Sears and buy a freezer for the body.

Thank me later.

How much time before sunrise do I have to dispose of the body? I'd really hate to bother the police with something like this if I can avoid it.

With THIS:

492568ac1fa9b4c0ba4c9fd461ca9f0b_79822_2.jpg

Years and Years.

Massachusetts ?

Locked in a safe, unloaded, ammo in another safe.

If by some miracle you finally get the drop on the perp, immediately head to Sears and buy a freezer for the body.

Thank me later.

if you're on city sewers, then a top of the line food disposer and lots of bleach.

Back
Top Bottom