An intruder is at your door

In all seriousness both of my kids are now 16 or over so I don't keep my HD gun locked up at night. I have my .45 with tac light on the night stand so I would grab that and carefully open my bedroom door, after telling my wife to get behind my tall chest of drawers near the bed. I would make sure I can quickly advance the short distance down the hall to get myself between an intruder and the bedrooms. From there it would change depending on the scenario.

My dog is a small Sheltie but she barks at any noise she hears so she is a good alarm. If an intruder came at her she would run away barking and pee in the corner but like I said, she is just an alarm.

Question though, do people think having an American flag with a Gasden flag (Don't tread on me), maybe a NRA flag, stuff like that deter an intruder? Or are most of them too stupid to even know what that means?

In all seriousness both of my kids are now 16 or over so I don't keep my HD gun locked up at night. I have my .45 with tac light on the night stand so I would grab that and carefully open my bedroom door, after telling my wife to get behind my tall chest of drawers near the bed. I would make sure I can quickly advance the short distance down the hall to get myself between an intruder and the bedrooms. From there it would change depending on the scenario.

My dog is a small Sheltie but she barks at any noise she hears so she is a good alarm. If an intruder came at her she would run away barking and pee in the corner but like I said, she is just an alarm.

Question though, do people think having an American flag with a Gasden flag (Don't tread on me), maybe a NRA flag, stuff like that deter an intruder? Or are most of them too stupid to even know what that means?
anybody breaking in despite a barking dog and motion lights needs as a quickie lobotomy.

speed.gif

I teach this stuff so listen carefully, and remember you need some training before you should try this.Your upstairs in the bedroom with your wife sleeping, a noise from down stairs wakes you up.Now this is the part that takes some training,roll over in bed towards your wife shaking her,and telling her that there is a noise down stairs will she go see what it is.Then just roll back,and go to sleep,

I teach this stuff so listen carefully, and remember you need some training before you should try this.Your upstairs in the bedroom with your wife sleeping, a noise from down stairs wakes you up.Now this is the part that takes some training,roll over in bed towards your wife shaking her,and telling her that there is a noise down stairs will she go see what it is.Then just roll back,and go to sleep,
dont forget to tell her to make you a sammich while shes downstairs.

You are in bed sleeping but awaken by the noise (or wife elbowing you). Goal is to secure residence. How fast are you getting to your firearm using lawful measures of security?

I am a newbie and curious of quick ways to get to my sidearm. Where is a good place to keep it? Under the bed?

Class recommendations welcome

How much time before sunrise do I have to dispose of the body? I'd really hate to bother the police with something like this if I can avoid it.

First step is to make sure possible entry ways into your house are secured and reasonable hardened, that way you have more time from the first "bump" to the intruder(s) getting in (if they don't decide to leave after getting frustrated). How much you are willing to spend depends on your perceived need (how safe you think your neighborhood is after doing research on crime stats, and personal factors).

1) Lock your doors and windows.
2) Exterior doors and doors to room that may be used as "safe" rooms should be solid wood/metal.
3) "Door-Devil" like devices are the shit for making it nearly impossible to kick/battering ram a door open.
4) If you have large pieces of glass that need to be secured, consider security grating or security film.
5) Motion sensor flood lights at all exterior access points.
6) Alarm system or just alarm signs / yappy dog.

To answer your exact question: I'm assuming you live in Mass, but IMO all firearms should be secured from unauthorized access/theft no matter where you are.
1) Trigger locks are inadequate to prevent theft.
2) Easiest method is to get a small "GunVault" style lock box (fits 1 pistol and 1-2 mags) and put it on your bedside. Use the included cable to lock the box to the bed frame. This won't prevent somebody with time and/or tools from stealing it, but it will slow them down, and prevent a quick and easy grab by any guests passing through your house. The cheapest lock boxes of this type ($20-30) use keys. Leaving a key on the table or in the key-hole would probably not pass muster in a Mass court of law (not sure if this has ever been tested). I would take the key and put it on a chain and wear it at all times. Keep track of the extra keys, that way people who have time on their hands (like your kids) can't unlock it through trying keys they find around the house.
3) Combination and biometric access (fingerprint) versions of these boxes also exist, and work well ($40-100).
4) If you want to keep several pistols, larger cube shaped biometric safes such as the "BARSKA Mini Biometric Safe" and "Viking Security VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe" can store 2-4 pistols and several magazines ($130-150).

Keep a DEDICATED handheld light next to or in each of these safes (you know, the "tactical" kind). I use a combination of the above, and can roll/hop out of bed on either side and access a pistol and light in less than 10 seconds (which may not be fast enough if you have not secured the exterior of the house and the intruder decides to blitz to the bedroom). If the noise continues/intensifies and you are convinced that somebody is breaking into your house, call 911 and barricade yourself inside your designated "safe-room". The only time I would go clearing my house with gun drawn is if a loved one is inside and not secured (e.g. child in separate bedroom).

Practice shooting one handed, practice shooting with the handheld light(s), practice clearing your house with a blue gun or laser trainer, and above all practice NOT SHOOTING every unexpected person in your house. 97% of the time the bump in the night, if it is actually a person, will be somebody you DO NOT HAVE TO SHOOT, such as a family member or drunk neighbor/teenager/stranger. Even strangers in your house at 2AM do not always have to be shot. Don't shoot anybody without POSITIVELY identifying them visually and challenging them verbally (REALLY practice verbalizing while you practice clearing your house). Is the worst case scenario a group of cartel hitmen in level IV body armor w/ AKs, or shooting your son/daughter/wife and then watching them bleed out on your kitchen floor? Which one is more likely?

How much time before sunrise do I have to dispose of the body? I'd really hate to bother the police with something like this if I can avoid it.
do you have to notify the police in your state. Improper Disposal is probably a misdemeanor.

I have a bedside safe, takes about 1 second to open it. Had a bump in the night last year (someone walked up our long driveway and tried to get in the garage.) I was out the bed, pistol in hand very fast, .45 with a light on the rail.

I'm a light sleeper and so is my dog.

did you have to confront the guy?

I have a security Duck. She quacks at anything that moves out there. My wife knows I'm home because of the Duck way before my dog even makes a noise.

You can plan whatever scenario seems best for your home's layout (That's the deciding factor here. None of us can give you good advice because we don't know what your house layout is. Please don't post a drawing online for us to review). But the most important thing is this, make sure your wife (and kids, if applicable) have a plan. Make sure they know where to be, find a spot that's safe for them to be in, and have hearing protection handy for them. A gun going off inside of a home is deafening, and even more so to a child. So on a serious note, make sure that's where it needs to be, before anything else.

Also, don't be macho "I'm gonna go find em!" guy. Post up in a good location with the most view of the front door and play the defensive roll.

You are in bed sleeping but awaken by the noise (or wife elbowing you). Goal is to secure residence. How fast are you getting to your firearm using lawful measures of security?

I am a newbie and curious of quick ways to get to my sidearm. Where is a good place to keep it? Under the bed?

Class recommendations welcome

#1 Go Green!

#2 Go get some REAL TRAINING!

#3 Join NRA, GOAL & Contribute to Comm2A

Intruder will not be down for breakfast and local sheriff will gladly notify the coroner to come here and pick up the body.

Average sheriff's response time around these parts is 20 mins on a good day, an hour if they're busy. People don't "intrude" around here because they know they are more likely to get killed than not....period end of story.
Why does anyone make a post like this without listing where they live in their profile? You don't trust this community?

The last person I saw make a claim like this lived in Missouri. Missouri has well above average violent and property crime rates. Most of these claims are just macho posturing.

With little kids at home, who knows what toys will be left on the floor? GFL to the intruder walking through the dark.

Ever stepped on a lego or a barbie doll with bare feet before?

I wake up and turn the light on really quick to make sure I grab the proper whistle to blow. I would hate to use my rape whistle when I meant to use my break in whistle.

An intruder is at my door? Not much of an intruder, so I'd probably razz him for being a crappy intruder and then let him in and offer him something to drink. What sort of rude person doesn't offer their guests a drink? It's only courteous.

Man, this thread just made me realize something that I really didnt want to accept. I travel sporadically for work, not an issue now as I am renting in my inlaws house. But, once I buy a house in the near future, I need to get a large dog to watch over my house full of women.

I love most dogs, but its kinda like the playing with someone elses child kinda thing where you can go home and not have to deal with the downside of them.

Back
Top Bottom