An Advance Picture - I'm getting a P-38

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Had to share early! I'm getting my first 9mm; a new caliber!

I contacted the company that I got my Walther PP from last year and told them I was looking for a cyq P-38, early 1944. They found one just four days later at a reasonable price. It's a 'm' block, so February of '44 - with exceptional quality for a Spreewerke. It will have two correct jvd marked magazines, and they are looking for a '44 dated holster so I can have a full rig right from the get go. This will most likely be my only purchase of '13 - and I wanted it to be a nice one. This dealer is very flexible with me; I'll give them a down payment this week, and pay in full with a portion of our tax refund.

Expected arrival late February, almost exactly on its 69th birthday.

MS

Last edited:
Congrats; it'll make a nice late Valentine's present for you. Looks like a beauty.

Trust me my friend, this wont be the last one. Mine are like rabbits, I go to get one out of the safe and I keep finding new P38's LOL

Good looking P.38! Are you moving on from 7.65 WWII pistols to 9x19 WWII pistols?

[devil2] Start saving those pennies!

Nope. Due to my limited storage capacity and finances, I have become a type collector as of last year. One nice one of what I like. I figured a type collection needed a 9mm battle pistol, and a P38 is more affordable than a P08. I chose Spreewerke as I have other Mauser and Walther examples, and early '44 as I have no pistols after '43. Also I wanted one made before D-Day, that may have been issued during the build up in the West prior to June of '44.

MS.

However Stack-On does make a box cabinet that bolts to pre-drilled holes in my 16 gun cabinet, then I can hold more pistols! Then Maybe a Mauser and Walther P38, and a long term goal, a M1911A1.

nice, recently dove in myself 1943 mauser all numbers match...shot it for the 1st time sat....nice.

In preparation for my new P38, I'm thinking ahead to ammo: what to get and how hard it will be to get. I remember reading on another forum, I think the P38 forum, about what to shoot out of a wartime P38. I think the recommended load was Winchester white box 115gr rounds.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

MS

The holster they found for me will be a soft shell, marked ‘jwa 44’ for Moritz Stecher, Lederwerk, Freiburg.

Last edited:
Tim,
WWB 115 Gr. cycles great in these as does S&B 115 GR. I have never had luck with Remington nor Fiocchi. The bullet shape is different slightly and they like to stove pipe.

I'm looking around the 'net, and I'm also seeing 147gr Winchester "Super X"; I assume this is too big/hot a load. Everyone is saying 2-4 week back-orders. Seems to be a get-it-while-you-can mentality right now!

MS

I'm looking around the 'net, and I'm also seeing 147gr Winchester "Super X"; I assume this is too big/hot a load. Everyone is saying 2-4 week back-orders. Seems to be a get-it-while-you-can mentality right now!

MS

I have shot higher Gr. 147 in the old girls before. I would shoot any GR in it but NEVER +P or +P+ loads. Any standard load will be ok. 115 Gr is the cheapest and most readily available and seems to work the best anyway.

All I've managed to find is green box Remington 115gr at $40/box at my local Dick's. Any reports on this ammo in a P38?

MS

Green box Remingtons stove pipe constantly for me. The bullet shape is slightly more narrow than WWB and S&B.

I have about 1100 rouns of WWB. If you need some I will give you a box or 2 until you can get some.

Good looking P.38! Are you moving on from 7.65 WWII pistols to 9x19 WWII pistols?

[devil2] Start saving those pennies!

More good news...my wife will be starting her new job as an office manager in June (after more than three years unemployment)...so I get to keep ALL my second half school stipend in June, and with my birthday money...I am in negotiations with the same company for my first LUGER! Planning on an outright WWI or a WWI/1920 property marked.

Boo-Ya!

MS

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm happy things are looking good for your collecting! I just got my first Luger (although not all matching as yours will be) and although it isn't perfect I will never forget the first time I shot it.
My mixmaster P38 was my first 9mm as well! Both are wonderful pieces of history.

Congrats! I'm happy things are looking good for your collecting! I just got my first Luger (although not all matching as yours will be) and although it isn't perfect I will never forget the first time I shot it.
My mixmaster P38 was my first 9mm as well! Both are wonderful pieces of history.

I don't think I can swing an all matching Luger, but maybe a strong shooter. The two within reach, well stretch, are a 1917 Erfurt with matching mag for $1650, and another 1917 Erfurt with an unmarked but correct mag for $1550, but marked to a machine gun unit. I'll probably have a strong $1000 budget.

MS

They just added a G date with mismatch mag and grips for $1550; be still my beating heart...

(All these examples are 90-93% finish)

Last edited:
Nice work... and a Luger and a 1911 GI is on my long list. But that will have to wait as I just picked up a M35 Baretta today. :)

is it just me or my eyes, but i have noticed in a few diff photos I have seen of these guns it almost look like the gun barrel has a slight curve downward? Or is it just an optical illusion?

Back
Top Bottom