AN ACT requiring background checks for all firearm sales. NH HB1589

How about introducing HB 999

AN ACT these people can all shove up their collective arses:

SPONSORS: Rep. Andrews-Ahearn, Rock 37; Rep. Borden, Rock 24; Rep. R. Brown, Graf 2; Rep. Harding, Graf 13; Rep. Schlachman, Rock 18; Rep. K. Rogers, Merr 28; Rep. K. Ward, Straf 21; Sen. Pierce, Dist 5

The thing actually quotes this BS statistic!

. The general court finds that: (a) Federal law requires anyone “engage[d] in the business” of selling firearms to obtain a federal firearms license. However, many individuals sell firearms without such a license. In fact, it has been estimated that 40 percent of all firearms are sold in the United States by unlicensed people.

I want someone on the anti side to show me where they get this 40% figure from other than deep inside their rectums.

Last edited:
Is there a lot of gun crime in NH that I"m not aware of?

What problem, exactly, does this bill purport to resolve?

(g) States that require private sale background checks also export 64 percent fewer crime guns to other states. In 2009, over 100 guns that originated in New Hampshire were recovered in crimes committed in Massachusetts, a state that requires background checks before private gun sales and transfers.

NO. No it does not. MA does require LICENSES be held by the buyer and seller, and in order to HAVE the license, one must have gone through a background check, but to say that the state requires a background check for private gun sales is an outright lie.

Last edited:
Sounds like a Mass problem to me since obviously the guns didn't commit any crimes in NH. Besides how small of a percentage is the 100 NH guns compared to the total number of gun crimes committed in MA in a year?

Like has been said, it's a new law to fix a problem that doesn't exist. The anti's will try to slip in any law, any time for any reason they can think of just to get the ball rolling and see who is paying attention.

This isn't a gun law. It's a BILL, which can be introduced at any time, by any moonbat legislator. Just because someone files a BILL doesn't mean it is automatically a LAW.

Maybe you need to review that Schoolhouse Rock Video, "I'm just a Bill..."

How do WE make sure this dies quickly??

SPONSORS: Rep. Andrews-Ahearn, Rock 37; Rep. Borden, Rock 24; Rep. R. Brown, Graf 2; Rep. Harding, Graf 13; Rep. Schlachman, Rock 18; Rep. K. Rogers, Merr 28; Rep. K. Ward, Straf 21; Sen. Pierce, Dist 5

Brown is one of my future policritters. Is it worth chucking her a letter from a future constituent, or would I be coming across as a carpetbagger?

Wrote to my reps on this bill and HB1163, which would restrict carrying firearms in public buildings. Got a response from one of them fifteen minutes later indicating he would be voting against both bills.

This isn't a gun law. It's a BILL, which can be introduced at any time, by any moonbat legislator. Just because someone files a BILL doesn't mean it is automatically a LAW.

Maybe you need to review that Schoolhouse Rock Video, "I'm just a Bill..."

or this one

Last edited by a moderator:
How about introducing HB 999

AN ACT these people can all shove up their collective arses:

The thing actually quotes this BS statistic!

I want someone on the anti side to show me where they get this 40% figure from other than deep inside their rectums.

I would bet that number is close to correct. To the .gov, who issues no license to posess a firearm, we are all as private gun owners, "unlicensed people". Therefore, all private sales are done by "unlicensed people" or people who don't hold FFL's.

Hey guys I did a quick search and didn't see a thread on this. But it looks like they are pushing to outlaw private firearm transactions in NH. They make certain exceptions, but otherwise it looks like selling a firearm will be a class B felony with this bill.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2014/HB1589.html

I vomited at the "private sale loophole" line... I moved back to NH to escape this shit, not be part of it all over again!!!!!!

I would bet that number is close to correct. To the .gov, who issues no license to posess a firearm, we are all as private gun owners, "unlicensed people". Therefore, all private sales are done by "unlicensed people" or people who don't hold FFL's.

Yeah but I suspect the vast majority of private sales aren't done by people "in the business of selling firearms", so they're not subject to that fed law regardless.

Statist legislators gonna statist... until they get voted out or otherwise.

I'm not buying the 40% figure. That would mean they would have to know rate of transfers between unlicensed individuals. Unpossible. Other than Ray Kelly spouting it on CNN, I think the only source is MAIG/Brady/insert your most hated anti group here, and is a completely made-up figure.

Oh, and SpaceCritter, I think you should write and put the fear of God in your future congress critter.

(j) New Hampshire residents overwhelmingly support laws requiring background checks on all gun purchasers: A poll conducted by Schoen LLC in February 2013 found that 89 percent of New Hampshire residents support requiring a background check before every gun sale

Where was this conducted in the MA part of NH?

(j) New Hampshire residents overwhelmingly support laws requiring background checks on all gun purchasers: A poll conducted by Schoen LLC in February 2013 found that 89 percent of New Hampshire residents support requiring a background check before every gun sale

Where was this conducted in the MA part of NH?

IIRC it was a sample size of 400 people on the UNH campus.

Wasn't that 40% number total BS and proven to be created by one of Hillary's aides just before the whole F&F debacle?

Also, whenever someone says some stat about X number of guns turn up in MA crimes, I always wonder if those are actual crimes, or just a malum prohibitum scenario where someone bought a standard capacity mag in NH and got caught with it in MA.

More important, the number comes from a 251-person survey on gun sales two decades ago, early in the Clinton administration. More than three-quarters of the survey covered sales before the Brady Act instituted mandatory federal background checks on February 28, 1994. In addition, guns are not sold in the same way today that they were sold two decades ago.

The survey asked buyers if they thought they were buying from a licensed firearms dealer. While all FFLs do background checks, those perceived as being FFLs were the only ones counted. Yet, there is much evidence that survey respondents who went to the very smallest FFLs, especially the “kitchen table” types, had no inkling that the dealer was actually “licensed.” Many buyers seemed to think that only “brick and mortar” stores were licensed dealers, and thus reported not buying from an FFL when in fact they did.

But the high figure comes primarily from including such transactions as inheritances or gifts from family members. Putting aside these various biases, if you look at guns that were bought, traded, borrowed, rented, issued as a requirement of the job, or won through raffles, 85 percent went through FFLs; just 15 percent were transferred without a background check.

If you include these transfers either through FFLs or from family members, the remaining transfers falls to 11.5 percent.

From here.

Last edited:
Sounds like a Mass problem to me since obviously the guns didn't commit any crimes in NH. Besides how small of a percentage is the 100 NH guns compared to the total number of gun crimes committed in MA in a year?

Like has been said, it's a new law to fix a problem that doesn't exist. The anti's will try to slip in any law, any time for any reason they can think of just to get the ball rolling and see who is paying attention.

Well, according to the ATF in 2011, (couldn't find 2009 data quickly), of all the gun crimes committed in MA that were traced back, 133 originated in NH while 351 originated in MA.

Guess those strict laws in MA sure stopped murderers in MA from obtaining them.....

http://www.atf.gov/files/statistics/download/trace-data/2011/2011-trace-data-massachusetts.pdf

Hope you NH people nip this B.S. in the bud before it spreads!

Well, according to the ATF in 2011, (couldn't find 2009 data quickly), of all the gun crimes committed in MA that were traced back, 133 originated in NH while 351 originated in MA.

Guess those strict laws in MA sure stopped murderers in MA from obtaining them.....

http://www.atf.gov/files/statistics/download/trace-data/2011/2011-trace-data-massachusetts.pdf

Hope you NH people nip this B.S. in the bud before it spreads!

A problem with those numbers is that it can't be determined how many of those firearms traced to other states were from illegal straw purchases, and how many were stolen from legal gun owners who moved here from those states.

A problem with those numbers is that it can't be determined how many of those firearms traced to other states were from illegal straw purchases, and how many were stolen from legal gun owners who moved here from those states.

Yeap, the stats are at a very basic level. For the purposes of refuting the point made in the bill they're good enough. The contention was that background checks on ftf transactions limit crime, thus NH should adopt the same laws as MA. Using the 100 or so guns that originated in NH is flawed and disingenuous, since many more weapons used originated in MA itself; you know the state whose laws should be adopted since they keep people safer. Only an anti could be stupid enough to think that would work (roll eyes).

Talk about data manipulation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom