• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AN ACT requiring background checks for all firearm sales. NH HB1589

Lend your rifle to a friend to try it at the range and you've committed a felony....
Give your nephew a 10-22 for Christmas and your booked...

The list goes on. Please be there on Tuesday!!!!
-Design

Lend your rifle to a friend to try it at the range and you've committed a felony....
Give your nephew a 10-22 for Christmas and your booked...

The list goes on. Please be there on Tuesday!!!!
-Design

As I told you at the rally, I will be there ( I took Tuesday off). I wasn't sure I would testify. Now I am certain. I'll try to see if my brother can come but he broke his arm a few days ago and is still in a bit of pain so I don't know if he would be able to make the car ride and time there if it goes to 5pm.

I'm gonna try and write a letter to the editor for seacoast online and Fosters as well as probably others.

Well, according to the ATF in 2011, (couldn't find 2009 data quickly), of all the gun crimes committed in MA that were traced back, 133 originated in NH while 351 originated in MA.

Guess those strict laws in MA sure stopped murderers in MA from obtaining them.....

http://www.atf.gov/files/statistics/download/trace-data/2011/2011-trace-data-massachusetts.pdf

Hope you NH people nip this B.S. in the bud before it spreads!

2009 trace data:
http://www.atf.gov/files/statistics/download/trace-data/2009/2009-trace-data-massachusetts.pdf

HB1589 part of Nationwide introduction of GENERIC anti-gun laws copyrighted by LCAV

Anybody else notice that HB1589 is actually a generic bill, the "Model Law Requiring Background Checks on All Gun Purchasers"? This is a generic law authored by Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, part of their set of model gun laws in their nationwide anti-gun campaign.

I was reading the text of HB 1589 and noticed the repeated reference to compliance with local gun laws, and thought to myself "that's weird, New Hampshire has statewide preemption, why would a bill make reference to 'local' compliance when there are no local laws?" So I picked out a few choice phrases from the bill, and every one of them traced back to Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence (aka Legal Community Against Violence aka Firearms Law Center).

If you plan to comment on Tuesday, I suggest this is an important point to press home. HB 1589 isn't a law New Hampshire needs, does not reflect New Hampshire values, it's a generic west coast bill written by a group of anti-gun lawyers in San Francisco, funded by the Joyce Foundation and David Bohnett (among others).

Expect to see a small contigent of bill proponents from Granite State Progress on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So pretty much the same. In any case the original claim posted is essentially an outright lie in an attempt to justify this b.s. in NH.

NH is not a problem for MA. MA is cleary more an issue for itself despite it's much more restrictive laws.

Yep. Here is the trace data for New Hampshire. Note that Massachusetts is the number 1 out of state location for firearms used in crime in NH. So it is also safe to say Mass Gun laws don't work in that regard either.

http://www.atf.gov/files/statistics/download/trace-data/2009/2009-trace-data-new-hampshire.pdf

Drafting a letter to the editor takes longer than one would think. Probably because I don't use emotion and use actual facts I need to research and not "fake" or "massaged" data and sentences from the Brady bunch.

Submitted a letter to Fosters Daily Democrat. We shall see where it goes.

I wanted to submit the letter below but all the papers have an extremely short limit on letters. Fosters was the most generous at 350 words. The union leader is a lowly 200 words.

The letter I wanted to submit is close to 500 words long and four paragraphs. I had to omit the 3rd paragraph in my submission to fosters to meet the word requirement. Meeting the 300, 250 and 200 word requirements of all the other papers (Portsmouth Herald, Concord Monitor, Union Leader respectively) is rather difficult. Nashua Telegraph allows a few word over their 250 word limit based on a small sampling of word counts on their published letters.

If you guys can find a way to craft my letter below to meet the above requirements for the a few other papers by all means post it and I will submit it. Rearranging it to work and still make sense is the hard part. It is late so I am going to get some sleep and will work on it some more in the morning (holiday's are nice).

It is too bad I can't get all this published. I feel it is well written and covers the major points well. And it should be. Took me several hours (including research) to edit this into what you see below.

HB 1589 is a bad bill that does not account for the fact that law already exists for which every gun owner must follow (see RSA 159:7 and 159:14). This bill claims that "over 100 guns that originated in New Hampshire were recovered in crimes committed in Massachusetts, a state that requires background checks before private gun sales and transfers." What the bill fails to mention is in that same 2009 ATF document, the number one state for firearms used in crimes in Massachusetts is Massachusetts itself! At state that has a similar system in place as proposed in this bill. There were 395 firearms that were sourced from Massachusetts. This is almost four times the number from New Hampshire and New Hampshire doesn't have this same law. Obviously, the "universal background check" law that Massachusetts has is working extremely well. To suggest that Massachusetts violent crime is high because of New Hampshire's firearms laws is not supported by the data.

Massachusetts is known as the state in which "everything is illegal in Massachusetts." Keep this in mind because the following currently legal activities are not even illegal in Massachusetts!! For example, in this bill it is a Class B Felony, punishable by up to seven years in prison (and loss of firearms under federal law) for merely handing a firearm to someone else at a range under the your supervision. It is also a Class B Felony if a woman uses her boyfriend’s firearm(s) to protect herself in a home invasion.

There are numerous problems with this bill, including the so called "legislative findings" that do not use complete and correct data. According to a 2011 report from the Institute for Economics and Peace, New Hampshire is the 2nd safest state (Only Maine beat New Hampshire) to live in with the 3rd lowest violent crime rate (160.4 per 100,000) and the lowest murder rate (0.8 per 100,000 ). So if New Hampshire is the 2rd safest state and has some of the fewest firearms laws in the country, why has this new bill been proposed? It certainly cannot be to make New Hampshire safer, since the states that have this law, such as Massachusetts, rank lower at 7th safest overall with a violent crime rate that is 34th (462.6 per 100,000) and a murder rate that is 13th (2.6 per 100,000) nationwide.

Massachusetts and California laws do not work for New Hampshire. This bill, HB 1589 has the same language as the generic bill provided by a group of anti-liberty lawyers from San Francisco, California: The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. New Hampshire does not let San Francisco progressives write our laws for us. If the sponsors of this bill are too lazy and inept to write their own bill, they should be replaced with New Hampshire citizens who will take the time to write New Hampshire based bills. Call your representative and tell them HB 1589 should be voted down.

So, it is a law crafted in San Fran, for use “whereever“, and being sprayed around the country in hopes that it might "stick" somewhere? You need to ID whoever brought this forward, and work to have them removed. Expose the lie for what it is.

The liberal infestation is spreading. You guys aren't immune to it. Sorry.
Really? That old chestnut? Get some new material. When these laws pass, then I'll worry.
Yep. Here is the trace data for New Hampshire. Note that Massachusetts is the number 1 out of state location for firearms used in crime in NH. So it is also safe to say Mass Gun laws don't work in that regard either.
That's a very good point. Current law in Massachusetts is about as strict as this "model law" legislation, yet doesn't correct the problem the law says it is intended to address.
So, it is a law crafted in San Fran, for use “whereever“, and being sprayed around the country in hopes that it might "stick" somewhere? You need to ID whoever brought this forward, and work to have them removed. Expose the lie for what it is.
The primary sponsor is Representative E. Elaine Andrews-Ahearn, transplant from Gloucester, Massachusetts.
And if you really want to ruin your appetite, read the rest of the model legislation as published by by Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

Last edited:

What you call liberal infestation we call freedom...which includes the freedom of moonbat legislators to file idiotic bills.

This one should die in committee, but if it does not, it will give us a great chance to prune back the NH legislators who will support it on the floor.

See you at the hearing, ladies and gentlemen.

But how often are these moonbat bills introduced? The driving force for me to leave Assachusetts (on 5 year plan) are orwellian gun laws and moonbat douchebaggery.

In MA, we deal with moonbat douchebaggery every waking moment of our lives.

My question is- how often are these bills introduced in NH?

Probably every session. Just like every other free state- there are always a few douchebags that bring them up. If you think you're going to be able to move away from statist authoritarian douchebag moonbats introducing shitty bills every session, I have a nice bridge to sell you.

-Mike

I saw the post above about Elaine Ahearn, but missed that she is the primary sponsor. Please try not to forget to record ALL sponsors of this steaming pile. People need to know, and be reminded! Thanks for your hard work on this.

Submitted a letter to Fosters Daily Democrat. We shall see where it goes.

I wanted to submit the letter below but all the papers have an extremely short limit on letters. Fosters was the most generous at 350 words. The union leader is a lowly 200 words.

The letter I wanted to submit is close to 500 words long and four paragraphs. I had to omit the 3rd paragraph in my submission to fosters to meet the word requirement. Meeting the 300, 250 and 200 word requirements of all the other papers (Portsmouth Herald, Concord Monitor, Union Leader respectively) is rather difficult. Nashua Telegraph allows a few word over their 250 word limit based on a small sampling of word counts on their published letters.

If you guys can find a way to craft my letter below to meet the above requirements for the a few other papers by all means post it and I will submit it. Rearranging it to work and still make sense is the hard part. It is late so I am going to get some sleep and will work on it some more in the morning (holiday's are nice).

It is too bad I can't get all this published. I feel it is well written and covers the major points well. And it should be. Took me several hours (including research) to edit this into what you see below.
I would get rid the exclamation point. Those are for personal correspondence. It is important to come across as dispassionate in the presentation of your material.

Within the first paragraph I would follow my rule of asking the following: What specific, statistically-relevant, verifiable problem is the author trying to solve with this bill?

I recommend pointing out that prohibitions have not and never will work. The prohibition of alcohol was a disaster in this country. Despite a federal prohibition on marijuana, at no time in recent history--even before some states started to relax their adherence to federal law--has it been impossible to acquire it in any state. The vast majority of crimes committed using firearms in the U.S. occur within one of our 36 or so urban centers where population density is greatest and involve illegally-possessed guns; metro-Boston is one of those centers. Where there is demand for illegally-possessed firearms, that demand will be met.

Also, I would make the LCPGV connection front and center. Immediately discredit the bill as something written by a gun restrictionist lobbying organization.

Dude, short of putting out a bounty on moonbat legislators, this shit is going to crop up from time to time.

My suggestion is to put out big "Hav-a-Heart" traps baited with The New York Times, the Huffington Post, and a Triple Venti Half-caf Soy No Foam Latte,and take the moonbats south of the border and release them back into their natural habitat, but so far, no one's taking me up on it.

Got it down further and more to the point. Submitted to the UL and their 200 word limit. I'm not sure I can get much more added in and keep it consistent for a 250 word limit. I think I'll submit the below to the other papers with a 250 word limit.

To the Editor:

HB 1589 is a bad bill that does not account for the fact that law already exists for which every gun owner must follow (see RSA 159:7 and 159:14). In this bill it is a Class B Felony, punishable by up to seven years in prison (and loss of firearms under federal law) for merely handing a firearm to someone else at a range under the your supervision. It is also a Class B Felony if a woman uses her boyfriend’s firearm(s) to protect herself in a home invasion. New Hampshire does not need more victimless laws.

Massachusetts and California laws do not work for New Hampshire. This bill, HB 1589 was written by a group of elitist anti-liberty lawyers from San Francisco, California: The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. New Hampshire does not let San Francisco progressives dictate our laws for us. If the sponsor of this bill Elaine Andrew-Ahearns (Rockingham 37) is unable to write her own bills, she should be replaced with a New Hampshire citizen who will take the time to write their own bill.

Call your representatives and tell them HB 1589 should be voted inexpedient to legislate.

Dude, short of putting out a bounty on moonbat legislators, this shit is going to crop up from time to time.

My suggestion is to put out big "Hav-a-Heart" traps baited with The New York Times, the Huffington Post, and a Triple Venti Half-caf Soy No Foam Latte,and take the moonbats south of the border and release them back into their natural habitat, but so far, no one's taking me up on it.

We can do that?

I must say I really like this idea... very humane. [laugh]

Has anyone written their legislators? If so did you receive a real response?

So far I've only received a generic form response.

I think I found where this Elaine Andrew-Ahearns is getting the text of her bills:

LINK to Alice Law

Here is the PDF from the LCAV for this bill, HB 1589. There are many parts of the "model law" that she took. She actually left out the exemptions for loaning a firearm at a range and increased the penalty to a felony (the model law has it as a misdemeanor).
http://www.alicelaw.org/uploads/ass...ersal_Background_Checks_for_Firearm_Sales.pdf

If you go to the hearing today, mention in your testimony that the sponsor, Elaine Andrew-Ahearns, is using San Francisco elitist lawyers to write bills for her.

We need to push this. People who may even agree with her (some) will be repulsed to know that San Francisco is trying to dictate New Hampshire law.

Here is the PDF from the LCAV for this bill, HB 1589. There are many parts of the "model law" that she took. She actually left out the exemptions for loaning a firearm at a range and increased the penalty to a felony (the model law has it as a misdemeanor). http://www.alicelaw.org/uploads/ass...ersal_Background_Checks_for_Firearm_Sales.pdf
If you go to the hearing today, mention in your testimony that the sponsor, Elaine Andrew-Ahearns, is using San Francisco elitist lawyers to write bills for her. We need to push this. People who may even agree with her (some) will be repulsed to know that San Francisco is trying to dictate New Hampshire law.

Wow, I totally missed that Elaine deleted the "loaning at a range" exception and increased the penalty. Pure evil, that woman is.

As I pointed out earlier, the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence (LCPGV) is the new name for the Legal Community Against Violence (LCAV) which itself used to be called aka Firearms Law Center (FLC). It is common for anti-gun organizations to routinely change their names, almost like they're trying to dodge their old reputation for failure.

They rebranded their website also, to http://smartgunlaws.org/

The anti-gun crowd is resorting to bussing in folks from Sandy Hook to attempt to pass this bill. The anti-gun nazis are holding nothing back.

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/gu...24029348/-/15aup7lz/-/index.html#mid=17979707

Please call these reps:

Hampshire. Including the committee Vice Chairman, Rep. Donna Schlachman (603)772-4934. The other sponsors are:
Rep. Elaine Andrews-Ahearn (603)772-7069
Rep. David Borden (603)436-4132
Rep. Rebecca Brown (603)823-8119
Rep. Laurie Harding (603)448-5206
Rep. Katherine Rogers (603)496-8521
Rep. Kenneth Ward (603)988-7580
Sen. David Pierce (603) 271-8631
You should also contact House Speaker Rep. Terie Norelli (603)436-2108 and House Minority Leader
Rep. Gene Chandler (603)374-6603 and let them know that you expect HB 1589 to be voted “inexpedient to legislate”.
- See more at: http://www.nhfc-ontarget.org/#sthash.LZSR6GN9.dpuf

-design

I don't really think a moonbat, or even 10 moonbats filing these bills in NH every session is indicative of some kind of trend. Similarly dumb bills have been getting filed in "pro gun" states for decades now. Every state has a handful of looney toons that make it into government. Every one.

-Mike

The anti-gun crowd is resorting to bussing in folks from Sandy Hook to attempt to pass this bill. The anti-gun nazis are holding nothing back.

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/gu...24029348/-/15aup7lz/-/index.html#mid=17979707

Please call these reps:

Hampshire. Including the committee Vice Chairman, Rep. Donna Schlachman (603)772-4934. The other sponsors are:
Rep. Elaine Andrews-Ahearn (603)772-7069
Rep. David Borden (603)436-4132
Rep. Rebecca Brown (603)823-8119
Rep. Laurie Harding (603)448-5206
Rep. Katherine Rogers (603)496-8521
Rep. Kenneth Ward (603)988-7580
Sen. David Pierce (603) 271-8631
You should also contact House Speaker Rep. Terie Norelli (603)436-2108 and House Minority Leader
Rep. Gene Chandler (603)374-6603 and let them know that you expect HB 1589 to be voted “inexpedient to legislate”.
- See more at: http://www.nhfc-ontarget.org/#sthash.LZSR6GN9.dpuf

-design

good post, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom