• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AN ACT requiring background checks for all firearm sales. NH HB1589

This isn't a gun law. It's a BILL, which can be introduced at any time, by any moonbat legislator. Just because someone files a BILL doesn't mean it is automatically a LAW.
Maybe you need to review that Schoolhouse Rock Video, "I'm just a Bill..."

The important question is, what's the chance of NH HB1589 making it out of the Commerce and Consumer Affairs committee?

SPONSORS: Rep. Andrews-Ahearn, Rock 37; Rep. Borden, Rock 24; Rep. R. Brown, Graf 2; Rep. Harding, Graf 13; Rep. Schlachman, Rock 18; Rep. K. Rogers, Merr 28; Rep. K. Ward, Straf 21; Sen. Pierce, Dist 5

COMMITTEE: Commerce and Consumer Affairs

I foresee ITL in the near future.

Does anyone have a example of the letter they wrote debunking the statistics used in this bill? I am not the best at writing letters that sound professional without getting pissed.

This isn't a gun law. It's a BILL, which can be introduced at any time, by any moonbat legislator. Just because someone files a BILL doesn't mean it is automatically a LAW.

How do WE make sure this dies quickly??

killbill.jpg

(j) New Hampshire residents overwhelmingly support laws requiring background checks on all gun purchasers: A poll conducted by Schoen LLC in February 2013 found that 89 percent of New Hampshire residents support requiring a background check before every gun sale

Where was this conducted in the MA part of NH?

This is the Dems strategy. Try to sell their crappy anti-2A legislation as "background checks" like they did at the national level to get low-information voters on their side. Then cram in all of the anti-2A garbage they typically like to put in these bills like Schumer did in the bill that was voted down in the US Senate.

Clearly most people don't understand that we already have NICS background checks.

Brown is one of my future policritters. Is it worth chucking her a letter from a future constituent, or would I be coming across as a carpetbagger?
I emailed my then-future state senator John Gallus back in (2007? 2008?), at the first attempt to pass a smoking ban. I signed it as a "future constituent".

From the senate floor, he read my letter into the record and was especially emphatic on my closing line of, "Let's keep New Hampshire, New Hampshire, and not 'mini-Massachusetts!'"

They put it in the wrong committee! [rofl2][rofl2][rofl2]
Wrong for whom? Those who would quietly sneak it through because no one looks for Public Safety bills to be heard by Consumer Affairs?

I emailed my then-future state senator John Gallus back in (2007? 2008?), at the first attempt to pass a smoking ban. I signed it as a "future constituent".

From the senate floor, he read my letter into the record and was especially emphatic on my closing line of, "Let's keep New Hampshire, New Hampshire, and not 'mini-Massachusetts!'"

The problem is Brown is an anti. If I do that, will I suddenly have trouble pulling building permits? [thinking]

But how often are these moonbat bills introduced? The driving force for me to leave Assachusetts (on 5 year plan) are orwellian gun laws and moonbat douchebaggery.

In MA, we deal with moonbat douchebaggery every waking moment of our lives.

My question is- how often are these bills introduced in NH?

But how often are these moonbat bills introduced? The driving force for me to leave Assachusetts (on 5 year plan) are orwellian gun laws and moonbat douchebaggery.

With over 400 reps in NH it's impressive they aren't heard of more often.

all the time, about as often as the Rs introduce stupid legislation like this tool in VA
http://www.mediaite.com/online/insp...r-wants-to-outlaw-oral-sex-between-teenagers/

Speedy "Inexpedient to legislate" death in NH for most moonbat bills.

But how often are these moonbat bills introduced? The driving force for me to leave Assachusetts (on 5 year plan) are orwellian gun laws and moonbat douchebaggery. In MA, we deal with moonbat douchebaggery every waking moment of our lives.
I don't know of any state in the nation which doesn't allow every elected state representative to introduce any bill they want, and doesn't have one of these moonbat bills submitted into every single legislative session.

At least in New Hampshire, these bills are generally stopped very early in the process. That is probably a more important metric to consider; don't look for"how often are these moonbat bills introduced", but rather how expeditiously they are whack-a-moled.

LoginName said:

Regarding the choice of committee and next steps, The President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House assigns the bill to a standing committee. Every bill introduced and referred to a committee must have a public hearing (unless the rules are suspended by two-thirds of the members present). New Hampshire is one of the few states requiring a public hearing on all bills.

It is in our best interests to have a good showing at Representatives Hall on the 21st, make it clear to Schlachman and friends that this bill is Inexpedient to legislate.

The only reason these bills arent getting passed in NH right now is because the people are alert and opposing these bills.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'll try to answer all of the questions posted in this thread:

1. How do we make sure this dies quickly. Bring 500 gun owners with you to the hearing and have them all speak 2 sentences. (also, call the reps listed below all of the time. When they disconnect their phone lines, you have won)

2. "call your reps" *** very important!

3. Commerce was selected for a reason, potentially the best chance of passage. The Chair of CJ&PS keeps having anti-liberty bills overturned on the floor. (They tired to pass a "license Plate Reader" allowing police to scan license plates looking for those with outstanding tickets, the bill died 96-250 and it came out OTP. Since the CJ&PS is a weak chair, they are putting the effort in to pass this through a committee that may be successful. WARNING, WE NEED TO STOP THIS!!!

4. Do we have a Rally for this kind of thing? ABSOLUTELY!! Bring your friends, every one can get a chance at the microphone :)

5. Hearing is 1/21/2014 at 1:15pm (Rationale, this is the middle of the day and this time will prohibit the most gun owners from testifying.

6. Provided I am at the state house on the day this gets to the floor, there will be a roll call vote! (Actually several, but I will not go into the weeds on how this crap is stopped on the floor)

7. State house has a public wifi. Come to the hearing, and to can still get access to the outside world if that helps with you job.

If I missed any questions, please re-post them.

Bottom line, come to the state house, sign the blue sheet opposing the bill and take two minutes to testify. (Honest, it is not that hard) Turn in your testimony if you read it. This written testimony becomes part of the record and can be used to fight this later.

If you live in MA and have either friends or a 2nd home in NH, we need you to come to the hearing.

-Design

important phone numbers:

HB 1589 is sponsored by some of the most anti-Second Amendment, anti-freedom idealogues in New Hampshire. Including the committee Vice Chairman, Rep. Donna Schlachman (603)772-4934. The other sponsors are:

Rep. Elaine Andrews-Ahearn (603)772-7069
Rep. David Borden (603)436-4132
Rep. Rebecca Brown (603)823-8119
Rep. Laurie Harding (603)448-5206
Rep. Katherine Rogers (603)496-8521
Rep. Kenneth Ward (603)988-7580
Sen. David Pierce (603) 271-8631

You should also contact House Speaker Rep. Terie Norelli (603)436-2108 and let her know that you expect HB 1589 to be voted "inexpedient to legislate".

Letter from NHFC on this bill:

Dear NHFC Supporter,

I know that NHFC President Jon Evans and I have been asking a lot of you lately. However, you the grass roots gun owners are our strength. To be honest, whenever the legislature is in session, our Second Amendment rights are at risk. We must be vigilant.

While we have been warning you about SB 244, a bill that would create a new gun ban for tens of thousands of Granite Staters, the anti-gun activists have been preparing to pass a ban on private gun sales.

The gun ban crowd is pushing HB 1589, a bill that will put you in prison for up to 7 years for selling a gun to a friend or neighbor. That's right, under the provision of HB 1589 you can't even dispose of your private personal property without going to a licensed firearms dealer.

This bill will criminalize commonplace activities you probably don't even think about. Ever loan your rifle to a friend on a hunting trip? Ever let a friend try out one of your guns at the shooting range? If HB 1589 is passed, these are the kinds of things that could land you in jail!

HB 1589 is so broad that any transfer that is not completed by a licensed dealer subjects the transferor to the penalties of a Class B felony!

If you think that's bad, this new bill -- House Bill 1589-FN -- would set the stage for putting the names of New Hampshire gun owners into a national gun registry. It would do this by requiring that virtually any gun transaction in New Hampshire -- private or commercial -- be subject to a Brady Check.

Thus, if you lived in Stark or Fitzwilliam and wanted to sell your gun to your lifetime next door neighbor, you and he would have to take a day off and drive to a federal firearms licensee.

Once you got there, you might very well face the dirty little secret of the Brady Law: The system is frequently down for long periods of time -- sometimes an entire weekend. And 8% of all inquiries result in "false positives" -- normally because your name is similar to someone else's.

Now, under the language of the Brady Law, it is legally permissible for you and your neighbor to take a day off three days later and drive back to the firearms dealer, accompanied by your neighbor. The problem is this: Most false positives never go "green." Most dealers won't sell a firearm unless the FBI transmits a "green." And most people who try to get the FBI to correct its records are given the brush-off.

But that's not all: Recently, BATF has gone into gun dealers in connection with its annual inspection and demanded to be allowed to copy all information from the dealer's bound book and 4473's -- thus compiling a de facto gun registry.

So the drafters of House Bill 1589-FN claim that they prohibit a state or local firearms registry? Surprise! BATF is not a "state or local agency." And it doesn't consider its list of all gun owners to be a "registry."

Consider how this bill would have failed to prevent Newtown (stolen gun), Aurora (passed background check), Tucson (passed background check), and practically every other modern American tragedy. This bill wouldn't make anyone safer, it's just another cynical attempt by Bloomberg-backed gun-grabbers to marginalize gun-owners, stigmatize gun ownership, and pave the way for the elimination of your gun rights.

Here's what you need to do to help, HB 1589 is scheduled for a hearing in the House Commerce and Consumer Affairs Committee on Tuesday, January 21 at 1:15PM. The hearing is scheduled to be held in Representatives Hall. Please try to attend this hearing and sign in to oppose HB 1589. Please also call and email the committee members and urge them to vote HB 1589 "inexpedient to legislate" (ITL).

Click here for a list of all members of the House Commerce and Consumer Affairs Committee. When you go to the committee webpage, you will be able to click on each committee members name to send a personal email.

HB 1589 is sponsored by some of the most anti-Second Amendment, anti-freedom idealogues in New Hampshire. Including the committee Vice Chairman, Rep. Donna Schlachman (603)772-4934. The other sponsors are:

Rep. Elaine Andrews-Ahearn (603)772-7069
Rep. David Borden (603)436-4132
Rep. Rebecca Brown (603)823-8119
Rep. Laurie Harding (603)448-5206
Rep. Katherine Rogers (603)496-8521
Rep. Kenneth Ward (603)988-7580
Sen. David Pierce (603) 271-8631

You should also contact House Speaker Rep. Terie Norelli (603)436-2108 and House Minority Leader
Rep. Gene Chandler (603)374-6603 and let them know that you expect HB 1589 to be voted "inexpedient to legislate".

Please contact the committee members, bill sponsors and House leadership to let them know that you strongly oppose ANY attempt to prohibit the private sale of firearms in New Hampshire. You need to be polite but firm when you explain to these legislators that HB 1589 might make them "feel like they are doing something" but in reality nothing needs to be done. There is no proof, anywhere that there has been any problems with allowing law abiding, peaceable, state residents to sell or trade firearms (that they lawfully own) to one another.

Private parties cannot order firearms through the mail or UPS, only licensed dealers can do that. HB 1589 only addresses face to face private sales.

Please also let these legislators know (because they are most likely ignorant about firearms) that dealers are licensed, but private parties are currently free and should remain free to dispose of their property as they see fit.
In Liberty,
Scott A. Krauss
Vice President - NHFC

P.S. The New Hampshire Firearms Coalition is working tirelessly to keep gun owners like you up-to-date on as many gun issues as possible -- please consider contributing to the effort by chipping in $15 or $20.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/members/member.aspx?member=377059
Representative E. Elaine Andrews-Ahearn (d)
Personal Biography:
I was born and raised mainly in Gloucester, Massachusetts, my high school years in the United Kingdom. I have been very happily married to David Edward Ahearn for many decades. We have six children, six children-in-law, and fourteen grandchildren. I have a BA in both History and English Literature, Boston University and University of Massachusetts, respectively. I have Graduate degrees, and post-Graduate degrees in British Literature and Counseling Psychology. I have written many articles on Virginia Woolf, women’s literature and the First World War and on death, and grief. I have been in school all of my life and hope to continue that practice. My husband and I travel a great deal and enjoy it tremendously. I love gardening, interior design, cooking and reading.
I have been a Democrat since birth, and volunteered on Eugene McCarthy’s campaign before I was old enough to vote. Politics is a grand passion.​
Local Government Involvement:
We have lived in New Hampshire since 1989, both my husband and I have volunteered on every Presidential campaign since then. I have been the Chairwoman of the Hampton Falls Democrats for fourteen years. I am on the board of the Hampton Falls Library, and Seacoast Youth Services.​
Miscellaneous Information:
This is my Freshman year as a Member of the House of Representatives and I enjoy it tremendously. There is so much to learn, and it is such a wonderful opportunity to work with so many bright, talented and dedicated people.​

[rolleyes]

I read the bill. Holy ****ing hell!

If that bill were law, I'd have committed HUNDREDS of Class B Felonies. Which in NH are punishable by: (2) Class B felonies are crimes so designated by statute within or outside this code and any crime defined outside of this code for which the maximum penalty, exclusive of fine, is imprisonment in excess of one year but not in excess of 7 years. (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lxii/625/625-9.htm)

The only exemption is for immediate family members.

Let you girlfriend use you gun for self defense? Class B Felony. Let her try two of your guns out at the range? TWO Class B Felonies.

Back
Top Bottom