• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Amoskeag Savage Enfield

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I have sold all the Mausers I wanted to, and am now down to 15 - the 10 WW2 manufacturers, 1 WWI Gew98 and 1 Kar98a, 2 are Obendorfs (first and last production years), 1 German depot modified VZ24, and 1 German Depot made K98k. They range from a parts RC build to perfect matched. Lots of room for improvement.

Refilled the Savage Enfield slot from the silent portion of the Amoskeag auction this past weekend. It was FR in England, and still has ALL its Savage parts. Bolt still matched, and it's from the undated 69th series in the fall of 1943. Magazine has been serialed to match, unlike the originals. Bore is excellent. Looks like some parts have been buffed, the front sight is way right, and the stock has been coated and may be sanded. Still an excellent quality piece for $50 less than anything I could find online.

One rifle left to refill the collection - a Smith Corona 03A3.

More pics tomorrow.

IMG_3964.jpg IMG_3965.jpg IMG_3966.jpg IMG_3967.jpg

t

Last edited:
Nice....I'm still looking for a good deal on a savage to fill my made in mass niche.

If it wasn't for the 15% hammer cost, I would have gotten a very good deal. Shows how nice I am to my fellow NESr's. I sold my other Savage this summer for $3 less than this one - and mine included a Savage sling, a Savage Action cover, brass oiler and pull through, Savage bayonet, and a British frog and Scabbard. I have a Savage bayonet on the way from eBay.

t

Found out FR is different than FTR; Factory Repair vs. Factory Through Repair. Akin to a depot level run through which is why it has its original parts.

T

Last edited:
The Savage is about the best made #4. What barrel does it have 2, 4 or five groves ?
OaiUoMX.jpg

I assume by the fall of '43, they were cutting as many corners as possible. The M03A3 was a two groove barrel. Taking it to the range tomorrow morning...I'm going to need more ammo - I only saved back 60 rounds out of the almost 400 I sold off with the other Savage.

t

Last edited:
Accuracy was up to snuff in most cases with the two lands. I would not go along with the cutting of corners as gospel. It would cut manufacturing time a small fraction..

WzJRKsc.jpg

Range report. Sunny, near 60F, moderate breeze as opposed to the recent gales. Range was full at 100 and 25; snuck in at 50 just for a quick test. 10 rounds '69 HXP, rifle functioned flawlessly. A little Kentucky elevation as the rear flip sight is 300 or 600; ready for 100 another day. I aimed low this time, but will try a 6:00 hold next time.

T

IMG_4007.JPG

Last edited:
Nice...my Enfield is going to the first cmp vintage match next year. I have not shot in a long time. Will be using HXP 303.

Back
Top Bottom